Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple enough... Has anyone used the clear plasti dip that they offer to create a clear protective bra for their car? I have applied the black type to my old black car and it came out nice. I know how to apply it and use it, I'm just looking for some help with the following questions:

1. Is the clear, clear enough so it doesn't look "crappy"?

2. Does it have any long term affects on the paint underneath?

3. Does the clear fad, or discolor at all over the years?

I know I can get the 3m clear bra, but that shiz runs nearly 300 dollars just for the materials. When you have a dealer install it, it can come close to 800 dollars!

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php?cat=16

·
Banned
96 Posts
what your link leads to is a additive to plasti dip gallons, it makes the color more glossy than matte. Im not sure how it would react to your current paint color because I think it will change the color.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had plastidip on my bumper for about 6 months. My car is white and I used about 4 layers of clear plastidip with 2 layers of glossy plastidip. The clear plastidip makes your paint look matte, it's not clear enough. But since my car is white, it wasn't that big of a deal. It didn't do any harm on the paint, it actually protected very well. The plastidip color turned a bit of yellowish color over time. That's why I peeled it off after 6 months. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had plastidip on my bumper for about 6 months. My car is white and I used about 4 layers of clear plastidip with 2 layers of glossy plastidip. The clear plastidip makes your paint look matte, it's not clear enough. But since my car is white, it wasn't that big of a deal. It didn't do any harm on the paint, it actually protected very well. The plastidip color turned a bit of yellowish color over time. That's why I peeled it off after 6 months. Hope this helps! :)
Do you have a pic of how yellow it became?

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think someone suggested that above. I looked into it. It looks decent. But they say you should remove it every year and reapply. That fact right there makes me lean towards films. I have already applied a small film to the lower hood so far. It went on fairly well. I may try to purchased the full front end kit and apply it myself.

Delema becomes, purchase the kit now before the car sees its first winter when I dont have the money. Or buy the kit when I have the money but after its first winter???

·
@milmast
957 Posts
I can attest to both of them. Plasti dip does the same job as the 3M protector. They will both protect the front end of the car from rocks, chipping, bugs, etc...
I first did the same thing as 'aracly' ^^ and i did not like the finish because my car was black, it made the front end look funny. So i took it off and applied the 3M spray on bra from amazon to the front bumper, the front part of the hood, and both front quarter panels that would be exposed to chipping and dings. I'll post up a picture of the bra shortly

The 3M bra is your best bet

·
@milmast
957 Posts
I think someone suggested that above. I looked into it. It looks decent. But they say you should remove it every year and reapply. That fact right there makes me lean towards films. I have already applied a small film to the lower hood so far. It went on fairly well. I may try to purchased the full front end kit and apply it myself.

Delema becomes, purchase the kit now before the car sees its first winter when I dont have the money. Or buy the kit when I have the money but after its first winter???
Keep in mind the films advise that you replace them yearly aswell. When the films get old and are exposed to the sun alot, they can fade and not do as good of a job as a new one. The spray film i have on my car from 3M is basically unnoticeable unless I tell you its there and you try to find it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used plastidip. 3-4 coats of clear and a full can of glossifier and Im talking about an 8" strip on the front of the hood. Even using the full can of glossifier, it didn't come out ....glossy. Peeled it off 2 days later because it looked like crap. I have purchased the 3m from advance auto parts, but have not used it yet.
I love plastidip, but the glossifier ****s balls IMO.
Car is white

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't Do It

I put it on as a last few coted to my rims. It was ok. I also tried the smoke ans glossifier on the tails Bad idea. Looked Like crap. With that in mind I'd go with NO dont do it. I got Clear bra done for $350 Hood, Mirrors,Door Handles and edges. Really don't need a full front bumper. They are plastic and are bound to get dinged. IMO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Six months with SunTek clear protection film and very happy

I have a clear protection SunTek film that covers the entire front portion of my Black Honda Accord (bumper, headlights, fog lights, hood, fenders, front portion of the roof over the windshield, side bars, and side mirrors). I got it all professionally installed for $1000 including window Carbon Film Window tint all around the car. You will never notice the film unless you next to the car and really looking for the border where the film ends. I am getting ready for the first winter with it and look forward for it to protect my car from salt rocks.

By the way, here is the link to the Features and Benefits of the SunTek film I use. Watch it, and you will be impressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJaTGoDIQtU&feature=plcp

Attachments

·
2013 Honda Accord Sport
6 Posts
I'm actually really considering doing this to my 2013 Accord Sport. I drive a lot so this would help so much. I would personally do this to my front bumper and hood and rear view mirrors. If I do, I will post pics. I'm talking about the 3M spray. The film is way too expensive for me right now.

·
Something Cliché Here
484 Posts
3M Spray on Painter Defender System

Did the 3M clear spray on paint defender this weekend. I'm happy with the results. Hardest part is the prep work. Did the complete front bumper and front of hood. :thmsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts