Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want some honest opinions from you guys. I know well have mixed reviews so I dont mind hearing both sides...

Just showin how I taped things up

Overall I give it a B+. Pretty damn good for my first time:thumbsup: but if anyone is planning on doing this then white is not the color I would choose. I bought 3 gallons and ended up running out of paint.. Some areas are not as thick and you can tell the differences in color. Nothing too crazy but something that will always piss me off. They have tons of color choices and doing something crazy and out of the ordinary is something I would recommend.

Could someone photoshop my car to make it have a cool background?

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
Well it definitely isn't the worst I've seen. Maybe would have been better if you have some pearlizer.

nice to see the 2013 wheels on though!

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,004 Posts
While it seems you did a pretty good job, I don't like it. The white is dull and it looks like the car was just prepped to be painted.

The side looks a little blotchy too. It probably needs another coat or two.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Looks a lot like my white coupe now. I think it's a good look :p

I think it might be cool to see someone use a neon green or like you said, just something very different/off-the-wall. Either way, I think it looks alright. I wonder about using this stuff all the time and always get worried that it would be hard to remove. I know everyone who uses it says it is quite easy but I just find it a little hard to believe - especially if you do the whole car like this, just seems like you'd have it stuck in every nook and cranny.

·
Registered
204 Posts
not bad just honestly not that crazy bout the orange "H" emblem & you shouldve painted the mirrors too. but how long did the process take & how many coats?

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While it seems you did a pretty good job, I don't like it. The white is dull and it looks like the car was just prepped to be painted.

I def. agree, like I said I ran out of paint. If anyone is planning on doing white they should use 1 gal. of gun metal and 3 gal. of white. (I used 1/2gal)

Overall it took me 9 hours. From start to finish

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks a lot like my white coupe now. I think it's a good look :p

I think it might be cool to see someone use a neon green or like you said, just something very different/off-the-wall. Either way, I think it looks alright. I wonder about using this stuff all the time and always get worried that it would be hard to remove. I know everyone who uses it says it is quite easy but I just find it a little hard to believe - especially if you do the whole car like this, just seems like you'd have it stuck in every nook and cranny.
The areas that are flat are so easy to peel, so easy that you wont believe me... lol but if you cant get the dip out of the nooks then they sell stuff called "dip dissolver" its basically soap you spray on with a power washer. Check out videos on youtube for dip your car. Pretty interesting stuff

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
ur supposed to lay down a grey/ gun metal as a primer when using white. you didnt do that??? then there is your problem this is a few hundred bucks down the drain now

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Isn't half the fun of a black car the ability to make it shine like a mirror? Anyways doesn't look horrible. Kinda just looks like a regular white coupe that's been through a dust storm.

And lose the smoked license plate cover. It doesn't do jack for speed/red light cameras, and it just begs a cop to give you an obscuring license plate ticket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks great to me! I have an Integra dipped in White with no pearlizer. A couple pointers....use the dipwasher towell to wash the car. White dip stains super easy, i've found that Formula 409 removes almost any stain (grease, oil, bird poop etc) on dip without harming the dip itself. Great way to protect the original paint! Nice work!

·
Registered
206 Posts
And lose the smoked license plate cover. It doesn't do jack for speed/red light cameras, and it just begs a cop to give you an obscuring license plate ticket.
You can't read through that very lightly tinted license plate cover? I have seen darker and mine are darker and its not to prevent speed/red light cameras. It's to make the plates a little more subtle and not steal from the looks of the car. I have had mine on my black cars for 10 years and I have driven in front of and behind cops and never got looked at twice. If you want to prevent the red light cameras then they have covers that distort the view and inhibit the camera from reading the entire plate.

As far as the white plastidip, ehh. I can appreciate the effort and trying to attain the matte look that I've seen on TV like West Coast Customs but for me, I like the deep, glossy shine of a nice wax job.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Excellent diy.
Looks good.
Beware the haters they are everywhere. :paranoid:

Good luck.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can't read through that very lightly tinted license plate cover? I have seen darker and mine are darker and its not to prevent speed/red light cameras. It's to make the plates a little more subtle and not steal from the looks of the car. I have had mine on my black cars for 10 years and I have driven in front of and behind cops and never got looked at twice. If you want to prevent the red light cameras then they have covers that distort the view and inhibit the camera from reading the entire plate.

As far as the white plastidip, ehh. I can appreciate the effort and trying to attain the matte look that I've seen on TV like West Coast Customs but for me, I like the deep, glossy shine of a nice wax job.
These NY plates are hideous

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I know what you're saying, but cops are free to be as much of d*cks about it as they want, especially if they're having a bad day or want to stack an obscure ticket on top of whatever else they might have stopped you for. I've read about people getting a ticket for dealer-name license plate frames because they slightly covered up the state name :dunno:

·
Registered
449 Posts
^^ he is right. I once got pulled over for my dark tints and the cop mentioned the license plate cover was illegal, i never took it off since the warning wasn't written. A few months later another cop pulled me over for "improper license plate display". He was going to give me a ticket but i quickly told him that i had a tool box in the trunk and that i would take it out right there, he laughed and gave me a warning.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,004 Posts
I know what you're saying, but cops are free to be as much of d*cks about it as they want, especially if they're having a bad day or want to stack an obscure ticket on top of whatever else they might have stopped you for. I've read about people getting a ticket for dealer-name license plate frames because they slightly covered up the state name :dunno:
:yes:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_li...for-your-license-plate-frames-and-covers.html

A license plate frame is a good way to brag to total strangers about what college you went to. A license plate cover is a good way to protect your auto registration stickers from getting stolen.

But if you don't read up on the laws in your state, these products may also be a good way to get a ticket.

That's because license plate frames and covers may be illegal in your state for obscuring the plates. This would be true even if your neighborhood store sells the popular products.

In states like Arizona and Texas, license plate frames may be illegal if the frame obscures any part of the plate.
So if "Arizona" is not identifiable or any number of your Texas plate is obscured, you could get a ticket.

In other states like California, license plate frames may be legal, but license plate covers are not. This is true even if the license plate cover is clear. The California Vehicle Code prohibits all covering of the plate, regardless of how clear it is.

You should definitely read up on the laws of your state to find out what you can and cannot have around your license plate.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2005/may/1/20050501-095936-9529r/?page=all

The District is cracking down on drivers who obscure their license plates from the city’s traffic cameras.

Police officers have begun enforcing a new law that has raised fines from $50 to $500 for using “glass, plastic, or any other type of material or substance (i.e. spray) to cover a license plate.”

The law took effect earlier this month, but police officials could not determine how many fines have been issued under the statute.

The new fine dwarfs the $55 fine for a similar offense in Maryland and the $25 fine for a similar offense in Virginia.

Janis Hazel, spokeswoman for the city’s Department of Motor Vehicles, said police asked for the increased fines to “put some teeth” into restrictions on obstructing license plates.

The new law clarifies an older statute that said license plates “shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in clearly legible condition.”

http://www.9wsyr.com/content/news/r...ket-The-Real-Deal/7YRCquR7FE6dOTc__meWBg.cspx

Ticketed for license plate bracket: The Real Deal

We all know not to speed, to wear our seat belts, and stay off the phone while driving -- but did you know a plastic license plate bracket – a fairly common accessory on cars these days -- could get you in trouble?

Jean Hilton was pulled over by a state trooper the other day. She was written a ticket -- but not for speeding or running a stop sign.

“He told me that it was because of an obscured license plate -- he told me the plastic that's around my plate is illegal in New York State,” Hilton says.

And by the way, Jean’s ticket isn’t cheap. Her $25 ticket also comes with an $85 state surcharge.

·
Vendor
624 Posts
I think it turned out pretty cool.

Could it have been better? Probably, but for a first try I'd be satisfied.

I think pearlizer would have made it even better

Nick C.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts