Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got hooked on this stuff once I started messing with it. Decided to mess around with my accord this weekend. Blacked out the lower chrome, H emblem, grill chrome and wheels sunday.

I lurk on the dipyoucar.com forums and some people were using a tire wet that's aerosol that lasts months instead of days on plastidip wheels and their tires.... so I tried it. Gives a nice gloss versus the flat finish.... but it attacks dirt like crazy.... good thing is water washes it right off without taking off the gloss. Anyway, I'm going to do the chrome around the windows next. I've tried doing the chrome on the back bumper twice but I screw it up when I peel the tape... gonna try a different angle. Messed with the emblem on the trunk and screwed it up a few times too. Anyway, here's the pic.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
P_D is great, when you get tired of it, just peel it off.

Look at all the P_Ded Chrome & painted surfaces I've done?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how did you mask off the lower chrome on the back bumper? I've tried taping it off twice and I can't get it to come off clean. Also, how are the door handles holding up? The PD white with 2 coats of pearlizer matched our factory paint pretty well... so I think I'm going to do my door handles with it and hit it with some glossifier. Thinking about blacking out my roof too.

·
hot garbage
203 Posts
how did you mask off the lower chrome on the back bumper? I've tried taping it off twice and I can't get it to come off clean. Also, how are the door handles holding up? The PD white with 2 coats of pearlizer matched our factory paint pretty well... so I think I'm going to do my door handles with it and hit it with some glossifier. Thinking about blacking out my roof too.
when i did the rear lower chrome i just taped it off carefully with painter's tape. otherwise, you can actually remove the chrome piece off the car. crawl under the rear bumper and you should be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It was just a few inches of space all around, the trick is, I used 5 coats, so you have something to grab ahold of for a clean cut, where it meets the chrome.

I cheated on the window trim & door handles, it's tape, the mirror bracket is P_D.

If I wasn't planning on selling my car, I would do the door handles like you are gonna do.

This was the 1st time I painted it, on later experiment's I removed the "H" emblem for easy painting.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice... my mistake was trying to mask right against the chrome. I'll have to give it a shot the way you did it. I'm pretty sure I rushed it too because I didn't give it enough time to dry. I did all my stuff the same day and was pretty much over it by the time I got to the back. I took my wheels off and did them. Impatience got the best of me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You don't have to take your wheels off. You can just mask around the brake calipers and rotors.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The front is way too black for me, personally I would have left the U shape trim on chrome. Not a fan of black wheels either :/

I hope you like it, at least its P_D so if you change your mind its a matter of minutes to go back to original :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate all the chrome on these cars. I had 8th gen with chrome wheels so it didnt bother me as much. I sprayed a test panel with pd white and then 2 coats of pearlizer and it matches up pretty well to my car. I may do the door handles and see how it looks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts