Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2014 EX-L without Navi, I've tried using a USB memory stick (flashdrive) to hold my music. It's all mp3s with proper tagging. But the car only shows folders and files and doesnt' organize by artist, album. If I plug in my ipod, it does organized the music by artist, album. Has anyone figured out how to get artist, album on a usb memory stick? Is there a way to organize or tag the songs so it shows up as albums? Also, within a folder, it seems to have a random order of the songs. Not alphabetical, not the original album order. What's it doing?

·
Registered
55 Posts
On a 2014 EX-L without Navi, I've tried using a USB memory stick (flashdrive) to hold my music. It's all mp3s with proper tagging. But the car only shows folders and files and doesnt' organize by artist, album. If I plug in my ipod, it does organized the music by artist, album. Has anyone figured out how to get artist, album on a usb memory stick? Is there a way to organize or tag the songs so it shows up as albums? Also, within a folder, it seems to have a random order of the songs. Not alphabetical, not the original album order. What's it doing?
Try creating a root folder name it "Music" and place the artist folders within. So it will be Music-Artist-Albums

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Yeah my plan was to look into this today also. Wasn't sure if someone figured out how to make a USB read like an Ipod on our Imid systems or not. If not, might pick up an Ipod for cheap when I don't want to deal with Pandora or Spotify

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was just actually in the middle of moving songs to a cruzer fit. As a test, i moved 3 albums and it seems to work okay. I even saw album art on one of them. All i did was drop the songs directly into separate folders named for the Artist and Album i.e. Keri Hilson - In a perfect world. The songs also showed up correctly as they were labelled as follows: 01 - Intro.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
So you are able to Search by

Artist
Album
Song

???

If a USB could search by Artists and then go into albums after an artist is selected....and then go into the songs on a specific album after the album has been selected, that would be great!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just went out to test it. You are correct as there is no way to search. This kinda puts the brakes on my plan to load 100+ albums. However, album, artist and track order work correctly for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just to clarify, you can always hit the "menu" button to show you all albums on the drive. You then would have to scroll to the Album/song you want and select it. Maybe not the search you are looking for but its still something.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Yeah if you had 100 albums on there...and they're not sorted by Artist...that's annoying lol

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have 259 folders on my cruzer fit and yes, even-though you can't search. Make your folder hierarchy Artist/Album works fine. Anyway, do you really want to search with that freakin voice recognition stuff :D

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
So on your USB drive you have it as:

-Artist
--Albums
---Songs

And when you hit the middle button or scroll through the list it's letting you search by artist? Mine didn't for some reason. I didn't really play with it much though so I'll have to look at it again. I just want to be able to scroll by Artist and when I select an Artist after scrolling, it goes to the Album, then the Song (or just songs if you don't do albums)

·
Registered
27 Posts
So on your USB drive you have it as:

-Artist
--Albums
---Songs

And when you hit the middle button or scroll through the list it's letting you search by artist? Mine didn't for some reason. I didn't really play with it much though so I'll have to look at it again. I just want to be able to scroll by Artist and when I select an Artist after scrolling, it goes to the Album, then the Song (or just songs if you don't do albums)
I have mine set up like this:

Artist---Album--Song
Artist---Album--Song

So if i have an artist with 2 albums, there are 2 separate folders for him/her.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
But when scrolling, you'd be scrolling through 'multiples' of the artists correct?

Something like:

Artist A
Artist A - different album
Artist B
Artist C
Artist D
Artist D - different album
etc etc etc

And if that's the case, and you wanted a specific album from the artist you'd just have to click on the artist names until you find the 'file' that has the album you wanted. That'd suck. If I'm wrong or not getting it...it's because it's really hard to know what you're doing without seeing it lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You are right. The somewhat good news is that my artist name also contains the album name and i don't have too many artists with more than 2 albums listed.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
So you're naming it like:

-Artist & Album
--Album or Song
---(if Album) Song

Not a bad idea. Does it display enough characters to see the album? I can't remember how much it displays when scrolling as I haven't used that in awhile

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you rename the folders with artist/album, do they show up alphabetically?
Here's how I set up my 32 GB flash drive:

1. Loaded my audiobooks in separate folders inside a 1st-level folder named "_AUDIOBOOKS" (this ensures that they show up first in the search list).
2. Loaded my MP3 music in folders ARTIST/ALBUMNAME/TRACKS
3. Used MP3Tag to ensure all of my track files had album art and used the following naming string "%album%_$num(%track%,2)_%title%"
4. Ran FAT Sorter (http://fenux.net/story/fatsorteroneohfour) from my PC on my USB flash drive to make sure that the read order on the drive was fully alphabetized. This is critical if you want your files to show up ordered on the screen. If you don't do this, the default sort order is based on the order that you wrote the files onto the drive.

End results are not bad. In Music Search List mode, the list shows alphabetical Album Names, but but these are pre-sorted in the order of the Artist name (not shown). Scrolling through the list is a bit of a pain, and there is no way to do playlists or genre shuffles like you can do with an iPod connected.

It doesn't seem like there is a way to pause a playing track, but you can switch the Source. If you switch back to USB, it resumes playing the song you had going before the switch. Same thing if you shut the car off while playing a song from USB. It will resume playing when you start your car up again (though it takes several seconds "Loading..." the media).

The fast-forward feature will be handy for me trying to resume any Audiobook tracks that I stop mid-track. I assume the resume feature only remembers the last MP3 played, so if I jump from an audiobook to listen to MP3s on the USB drive, I will lose my place.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts