Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was waiting for my friends Accord to be bled, I picked up a case of DW-1 for $79.22 OTD and 2 gallons of Type 2 Coolant for $36.27 OTD. Needless to say, I was happy.

And funny story, in talking to the shop foreman about the V6 problems, I mentioned I had changed the external filter on the ATF twice. He DIDN'T believe me that there was one. Needless to say I didn't remove the air intake to show him I simply bet him that if I was wrong, I'd buy his lunch. If he was wrong, he had to give me a filter for free. I got the filter for free. Dumb shop foreman. Shame on you. He was embarrassed. His response was "we never change those" so he said he never knew they existed. If I remember correctly, the filters were installed as part of the oil jet kit recall.

Now I am off to do my first of three drains. Fluid is still quite clean, but it's been 30k miles, and 3 years, so I'd say she's due.

·
Elvira - the car
3,514 Posts
While I was waiting for my friends Accord to be bled, I picked up a case of DW-1 for $79.22 OTD and 2 gallons of Type 2 Coolant for $36.27 OTD. Needless to say, I was happy.

And funny story, in talking to the shop foreman about the V6 problems, I mentioned I had changed the external filter on the ATF twice. He DIDN'T believe me that there was one. Needless to say I didn't remove the air intake to show him I simply bet him that if I was wrong, I'd buy his lunch. If he was wrong, he had to give me a filter for free. I got the filter for free. Dumb shop foreman. Shame on you. He was embarrassed. His response was "we never change those" so he said he never knew they existed. If I remember correctly, the filters were installed as part of the oil jet kit recall.

Now I am off to do my first of three drains. Fluid is still quite clean, but it's been 30k miles, and 3 years, so I'd say she's due.
Over the years I've found many parts and fluids at least to be competitively priced. To top it off the product and receipt can be used as proof of at least purchase and dates of the oil,filter,brake,air and cabin filter (although those are REAL expensive filters and I do purchase these elsewhere) changes. Also proof you used approved Honda products.

As far as the coolant is concerned, I can be assured that this is the correct coolant for my Honda and no more questions asked. Call it peace of mind.

How many in the case for the DW-1? TIA

Very sad story about the foreman not knowing about the filter. Very sad state of affairs. What else doesn't he or she know?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12 quarts baby. About $6.12 per qt. Score.

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
$69 for 12 quarts at my local dealer...

It is true, the Honda dealer never changes the AT transmission filter

They will only do a single 3 qt. drain and 3 qt. fill only also. They think I'm crazy for doing that 3 times. But if you read in the owner's manual, it tells you to do that.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

They will only do a single 3 qt. drain and 3 qt. fill only also. They think I'm crazy for doing that 3 times. But if you read in the owner's manual, it tells you to do that.
Very true. But I will never have to do this nonsense with my soon to be delivered 6-6. Hehehehe.

·
Reflections Auto Detail
1,247 Posts
I found the best price for the ATF at my local Acura dealer. While I was there picking up the fluid, I asked if they had the filter which I assumed the answer would be "what filter?" That's what the Honda dealer asked. Instead of the assumed answer, he said that they did and quoted the price. I 'm sure I looked stunned. The monitor was placed in such a way that both he and the customer can see it. He pointed to the filter and then to the quantity on hand which was something like 38 IIRC. Having that many would lead you to assume they at least do that job.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts

I drain and fill every 3k miles so I think I'm going to set a record for number of fluid changes by the time I hit 30k.

We'll see if it does anything to prolong the life of the tranny when on boost.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,456 Posts

The owner's manual tells you to do three drain and fills, BUT it doesn't say to do them until 120k miles. You would be lucky to still have a working transmission by then. When it comes to the transmission, I ignore the owner's manual.

Reactions: Miker

·
Reflections Auto Detail
1,247 Posts
I drain and fill every 3k miles so I think I'm going to set a record for number of fluid changes by the time I hit 30k.

We'll see if it does anything to prolong the life of the tranny when on boost.
Isn't that somewhere in the range of $30-35 every 2.5 months? That might just be overkill doing it that often but then again,who's to say. It's not like there's a wellness meter on these trannys that shows how well or how bad one is doing or whether or not doing anything preventatively has prolonged its life.

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
The shop foreman was actually right. There is no external filter. There is an INternal filter though...

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts

My Honda Dealer has a machine where they do a full exchange for $129.99. I haven't seen it, but I have to believe it just hooks up to the transmission lines, they start the engine and let the fluid flow until the exchange is complete. This was back when my wife had a 2002 Odyssey which was also subject to failure. We kept the Odyssey for nearly 100K and we did the 3qt drain and refill about 4x and the complete fluid exchange 2X during the 100K. Needless to say, we didn't have any transmission failure, thankfully.

·
Elvira - the car
3,514 Posts
The shop foreman was actually right. There is no external filter. There is an INternal filter though...
The 2013 and later v6/6 auto do have an external filter located under the airbox.

I've actually looked at it few weeks ago. Didn't change it, just browsin'.

They must have learned a thing or two about ease of replacement.

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
My Honda Dealer has a machine where they do a full exchange for $129.99. I haven't seen it, but I have to believe it just hooks up to the transmission lines, they start the engine and let the fluid flow until the exchange is complete. This was back when my wife had a 2002 Odyssey which was also subject to failure. We kept the Odyssey for nearly 100K and we did the 3qt drain and refill about 4x and the complete fluid exchange 2X during the 100K. Needless to say, we didn't have any transmission failure, thankfully.
DO NOT USE THE FLUSH MACHINE. It's called T-Tech fluid exchanger. I know, I did this on my 98 V6 and the transmission was not the same after that. The fluid exchanger can force metal deposits through and cause more issues. Many early 2nd generation TL's and some Accords reported failures shortly after using this method. You got very lucky with your Odyssey.

·
Reverse Gear
1,000 Posts
DO NOT USE THE FLUSH MACHINE. It's called T-Tech fluid exchanger. I know, I did this on my 98 V6 and the transmission was not the same after that. The fluid exchanger can force metal deposits through and cause more issues. Many early 2nd generation TL's and some Accords reported failures shortly after using this method. You got very lucky with your Odyssey.
I am aware of this, but if the fluid exchange is powered by the car's own transmission oil pump, it is ok. Only going to a jiffy lube, or transmission shop type of place and using their self powered machine to do the flush is a problem.
Many "odyclub.com" users rigged up their own version of this transmission pump powered fluid exchange to do a full fluid exchange.

·
Super Moderator
6,362 Posts
I am aware of this, but if the fluid exchange is powered by the car's own transmission oil pump, it is ok. Only going to a jiffy lube, or transmission shop type of place and using their self powered machine to do the flush is a problem.
Many "odyclub.com" users rigged up their own version of this transmission pump powered fluid exchange to do a full fluid exchange.
That's exactly what the T-Tech machine does, don't do it. Hooked up to the transmission cooler lines then the transmission itself pumps the fluid through.

ATF Exchangers | Call us at 1-800-328-2921 | Clore Automotive

ATF Exchangers

The benefits of ATF exchange are clear with T-TECH. The exclusive T-TECH process exchanges virtually 100% of the vehicle's ATF in a proportional, even exchange. Old transmission fluid is pulled from the most stubborn and difficult-to-reach areas of the transmission system, including the torque converter and cooler. Because the T-TECH process is powered by the vehicle's own transmission pump, the dangers of over- or under-pressuring the system are eliminated. Smart, Convenient, Complete, Beneficial, Fast... that's T-TECH.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts