Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsdow I was at a stoplight a few weeks ago, and needed to get in front of the car next to me. So once green, I took off a little bit (bout 4k rpms) before shifting to second. For some reason I missed 2nd, so I clutched down and shifted back as usual. Well, coming to the next stop, I tried to shift into first and it would not budge...not even a little. It has done this in the past..it would actual go into first, but be really rough doing so. after a while it went back to normal, then the above happened. Clutch pedal pressed to the floor, nothing. I've tried pushing into 1st, while slowly letting up on the clutch hoping it would get sucked in: nothing. All other gears shift like butter. I am due for a tranny flush, all because I havent changed it in about a year, maybe 12k in miles. Anyone have any ideas? I know it is not the syncros because 1st gear doesnt have one, and syncros are for when the car is moving? Bent fork on the inside maybe? Im hoping its nothing more than a cable issue. My car has rougly 70k in miles, original engine. Anyone have any ideas??

Thank you in advance for any feedback

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Try pumping the clutch a few times. Immediately after I replaced my clutch, my car wouldn't go into any gear except 6th and reverse. As a temporary solution, I pumped the clutch about five times before putting it in first and it would slide in. After I bled the clutch it was perfectly fine.

I hope that wherever you take your car for service isn't doing a "tranny flush." You need to do a 3x drain and fill with Honda MTF.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
You need to do a 3x drain and fill with Honda MTF.
Are you confusing this with the automatic transmission procedure possibly? The manual is a simple drain and fill. 2.3 qts out of 2.6 total come out with a simple single drain. In the OP's case it might be a good idea to do an extra one, but a 3x like the auto's isn't necessary. And for the OP's education - - 1st does have synchro's but they're probably not the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you confusing this with the automatic transmission procedure possibly? The manual is a simple drain and fill. 2.3 qts out of 2.6 total come out with a simple single drain. In the OP's case it might be a good idea to do an extra one, but a 3x like the auto's isn't necessary. And for the OP's education - - 1st does have synchro's but they're probably not the problem. Good luck.
Thanx for the education! I guess it would need a syncro for downshifting huh....forum rookie mistake

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, went to a auto repair spot for them to check it out. He had me shift while he watched under the hood, after 5 seconds he said "its def. on the inside" I've been calling around and everyone i have spoken to says it has to be taken apart to see whats wrong, qouting like $1k just to take it down and open it up. Any suggestions before I take that route??

And how bad is it //can it be to drive around starting out in 2nd all the time?? I have an upcoming vegas road trip, bout 600 mile roundtrip. My car acts normal besides 1st gear...would it be cool to still drive to vegas?? Thankx in advance guys!

·
Legitimate hack
1,415 Posts
You'll be fine starting out in 2nd. You'l just bog a little but it won't cause any harm. If you're facing a cost of $1k just to open it up and look, you might as well find yourself a tranny on LKQ for cheaper/ the same cost shipped to your door.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
If it was a clutch problem, all the gears would have trouble engaging and he couldn't start out in 2nd.

OP, will it go into gear when the engine is off? Could you put it in gear with the engine off, push the clutch to start the car, and then start moving?

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Your V6 will be able to start from second gear without too much trouble, may have to slip the clutch a bit if you have a full load of people and luggage in the car, but should still be doable.

It does sound like something got bent inside, but the question is how did that happen?

You may also want to get a second opinion, maybe at a transmission shop or Honda dealership, just to make sure it isn't something simple in the shifting mechanism outside of the transmission housing, remember these transmissions are not purely shifting rods, there are flexible shift cables involved, a clip could have popped out to misalign something to cause this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@toshbar No, it wont go into 1st at all (car on/off)
@aviography thanx for the info. I went to a guy who I thought could see around the outside of it when he had me shifting, and said it wasnt the outside. I dont know a THING about trannys, but the cables and clips...those are on the outside right???

·
Registered
20 Posts
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!!!!!

so I finally did a tranny drain and fill and BAM...I got first gear back LOL. Dont know what really happened. My logic tells me that the fluid level must have been to low to "lubricate" the gear, or something...hell I dont know. I just know the lowest quote I got to check it out $800, and that was to just take it down and see whats wrong.

After I did the drain and fill. I attempted to put it into 1st, and suprisingly it slid about half-way, it was rough at first. So I turn the car on, and let off the clutch, THE CAR STARTED MOVING!! By now i've already * myself based on pure happiness. But as I started moving there was a LOUD BANG...as if I left a tool under the hood, and it hit something. I checked under the car...nothing...checked under the hood...nothing. So the second time, I put it in first and kept my hand on the shifter. I started moving again, and turns out the loud bang was actually it popping out of 1st. So I shifted back and forth from 2nd to 1st, about 10 times. THen tried a 3rd time. 3rd time was the charm!!!!! Havent had a problem since, and I've even ran thru 1-3 as i was getting on the freeway...shifted like butter.... It does feel as tho I may need to add a little , but for the most Part.....MY CAR IS FIXED!!!!!! I appreciate all of you guys' advice!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a similar problem. What u can try that worked for me is put it in second gear, disengage clutch a bit so that vehicle starts moving then try putting it back in 1st

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 04 accord had a very smooth gearbox. I used to shift without the clutch - rev matching it woulg go in gear without any hesitation. Takes practice but it harmed-not the gear box. Even out of first gear (granted, the car had to be moving).

·
White on Black AV6-6
100 Posts
Congratulations and thanks for the update!

In 36 months or 30,000 miles you need to drain and fill again. That's Honda's reccomendation. The manual transmissions only take like 1.2 quarts and it's fairly easy to do. I change my MTF once a year because I drive hard.

·
07 I4 MT coupe
198 Posts
My 04 accord had a very smooth gearbox. I used to shift without the clutch - rev matching it woulg go in gear without any hesitation. Takes practice but it harmed-not the gear box. Even out of first gear (granted, the car had to be moving).
Reading this made me cringe for your car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts