Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Please help! Female trying to do repair on 2018 Honda Accord!

5K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  garebear 
#1 ·
I have a 2018 Honda Accord and clipped the left side rear view mirror backing out of my garage. Was able to replace the mirror with no problem but do not know how to replace the housing (if that’s even what it’s called).
The skull keeps coming off because the front part of the mirror housing is snapped. Do I buy a whole new housing set? Seems like this wouldn’t make sense if it’s just one part of the housing that’s broken. Any suggestions of where I can buy this part?
Automotive side-view mirror Automotive parking light Mirror Wheel Tire

See less See more
#6 ·
I had my driver side mirror replaced recently as well. The mirror and that back cap are separate parts due to the different colors available. Yours looks worse then mine and the whole assembly had to be replaced ($470 for a EX, heated and blind spot but no blinker).

#10 ·
In hindsight (sorry, i know this doesnt help, but it makes me feel better saying it) replacing the whole thing would've been a good first move, but you're already halfway done so you're committed.
@Brittany Purdy

...I dont know why she felt it was necessary to share that...
Honestly, this is a smart tactic. I'd assume the car forum is predominantly male, and either disclosing or pretending to be a woman is a good way to get attention and quick help. However, DA is pretty awesome to almost all members regardless, so it was an unnecessary move. Traditionally, men have posed as women in video games as a predatory/parasitic move to get other players to help for free or go easy.

...asked what's for dinner, and when the laundry will be ready before...
In my house, cooking and laundry my tasks (well, washing and sometimes folding, i also often leave clean clothes to rot in the basket all week), but I suck at general cleaning, so that still falls on her.

Reactions: svgPhoenix
#9 ·
Agree. I don't see why "female" is relevant here. If you're here asking for help on fixing it yourself, clearly you've already put on your big girl panties and are ready to do it!

For the record though, this guy's always been a problem when it comes to gender. He called me "honey", asked what's for dinner, and when the laundry will be ready before. It was deleted by mods, and this might be deleted by mods too for referencing it. I won't forget that though, it was just so insanely rude.

#12 ·
You need to remove the mirror cap because as a poster said, the clips inside ..or, where the housing snaps onto the cap, may have broken. Then you'll need to see what the damage is, and perhaps order both of those parts, if it's the cap and the housing.
I'd look to a junkyard, also. Keep in mind you can get the cap painted even if it is a different color.

#24 ·
I actually did the same thing years back in a maxima. Thought i cleared the driver side enough so i focused on backing out looking at the passenger side, next thing i know i hear all the cracking. Theres my mirror dangling against the car 🤦🏾‍♂️

Body shop found a replacement from a decomissioned car and replaced it. Around $300

Anyways as others said parts site to replace the whole thing is what i would do

#26 ·
I mean, I've never had a problem getting responses on my threads, even before anyone knew I was a lady... I've never mentioned my gender in a thread title, either.
Maybe you have a point, but I'd like to think that the people on this forum like to help just to help, whether the person needing help is a lady or not. That's the vibe I get from most of the people here.

I also feel like the reason this thread has so many replies is because many of us were condemning somebody's rather sexist comments, not necessarily posting anything pertaining to OP's question, lol.

#27 ·
I have a 2018 Honda Accord and clipped the left side rear view mirror backing out of my garage. Was able to replace the mirror with no problem but do not know how to replace the housing (if that’s even what it’s called). View attachment 529121 The skull keeps coming off because the front part of the mirror housing is snapped. Do I buy a whole new housing set? Seems like this wouldn’t make sense if it’s just one part of the housing that’s broken. Any suggestions of where I can buy this part?
View attachment 529120
It looks to me like you need to replace the whole thing. I just did the same for my 2017 Accord, and the cheapest OEM mirror assembly I found (new, not from a salvage yard) was from Cheaper Honda Parts| cheaperhondaparts.com. Mine was under $400, but it looks like the mirrors for the 2018 Accords are under $200. PLENTY of you tube videos walking you through how to remove the door panel (which you only have to remove enough to move it out of the way to unplug connectors) and then a few bolts and the broken one is off. Good luck!

#29 ·
you can try buying the skull first and see if thats all you need as they are replaceable. you will need to buy one anyways if you need a new mirror assembly, it does not come with a cap. like others said, i would check the interior part where the skull attaches to see if those parts are broken. if they are, you'll need a new assembly.

i was gonna say just buy a new one from hondaparts as it was $150 for mine which was better than any used parts i could find, but seems like they dont sell assembly now? idk. might need to try calling a dealer and see if u can get the part that way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.