Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Sorry, this is a bit of a read. But I'm really at a loss to this mystery and want to communicate the details and importance. Thanks for taking the time to read and help)

Hey All Accord-Jedi,

I really need some help or hopefully can find someone else who has had this problem because Honda is not cooperating at the level I hoped for after spending full price on this car and having bought it before it was even built in the factory.

My issue is: I've had a '13 Accord Sport V6 6MT EX in Black, supposedly one of only three made b/w AZ, NV and NM. I LOVE this car. I nicknamed her Shinobi. I bought the car with the majority of some inheritance $$ and paid full price ($41K including exterior accessories) and essentially chose this car after much research over an Audi or BMW, specifically because I want a worry free car. And for the most part it has been, and has been a joy to have. I live in Los Angeles even though I bought the car in Phoenix and actually get lots of compliments and looks from the inumerable Audi and BMW owners. I think the exterior accessories really make it stand out.

However, the car has had one major issue that is a complete fracking mystery to me and the service manager at Hollywood Honda:

I don't drive the car too much. I got it in Dec. '12 straight from the factory and barely have kicked over 10K on the odometer. So the car sits parked on my apartments gated outdoor driveway.

And last March, for some mysterious reason, the B Pillar panel and the rear accessory spoiler, started "Warping". The paint would not break, but the plastic underneath has become mis-shapen and gets bumps all over it. Both start on the driver's side, though the spoiler spreads all the way across after enough time.

Now on top of that, the car cover I bought for the car through Honda began to melt and the fabric turned black and fused and eventually tore open.

So last March, Honda of Hollywood gets me a warranty approval to fix the B Pillar and Spoiler, but could only get me a %20 discount on a new cover, so I declined the cover and paid $40 for the cost of the parts on the warranty fix (Why I had to pay even $40 I still don't understand)

So they fix it, and I think it's all good and a fluke, right?

Then about six to eight weeks ago, I come to discover, THE SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN IN THE SAME PLACES! (Caps for emphasis, don't mean to come off as shouting)

Now, here's the thing. Nobody can figure out what's causing it. This car is parked behind my '03 Civic, and between an old Caddy on the drivers side and a new Volvo s60 and Mini-Cooper on the passenger side (The '13 Volvo was bought days after I got my car.) and next to them is a brand new Nissan Sentra and a '92 Integra RS. - None of these cars that are parked under the sun the same as mine are having this kind of issue.

Furthermore, I consulted with my awesome landlord, whose also a heart surgeon and one of the smartest guys I know, and we cannot determine what in the driveway could be causing it. We can't figure out what might be refracting sunlight or whatever on to those parts that's made it happen twice. I asked if the paint on my building is the kind that deflects heat, he assured me it's not.

On his insistence, I took this to Honda Coporate customer service and have had a case open for awhile. Things have been on hold, because the service manager at Hollywood Honda was going to make a personal trip out to inspect my driveway and try to determine a cause. I'm the son of a third generation dealership owner, so I can appreciate how this is not part of the job and goes above and beyond the job description. Unfortunately, because of being understaffed, she's insinuating she's not going to come now and they just want to settle the case.

The way they want to settle, is split the cost of the rear accessory spoiler and drop $250. The upside is, they approved a car cover replacement at no charge.

I'm not happy about paying $250 and don't feel I should. I mean, isn't situations like this, what a warranty is for? Parts failing not caused by driver/owner?

But furthermore, what's to preven this from happening again if we can't determine a cause? And now that the rear spoiler accessory is out of warranty it's even more distressing.

The case is still open, because the case manager is still trying to get someone out here to inspect the surroundings.

But I'm starting to lose my faith, and they're trying to pin this on me because they're saying I'm the only one this happened to. So I came here in small hopes of finding someone else that has gone through this, or see if anyone here had any ideas on cause and prevention.

Attached are some pics of the damage and surrounding area. I don't have a good pic of the B Pillar panel, but it looks just like the spoiler, except it's not coming off the body in any way. It's just warped and bumpy.

I've been driving Honda's and Acura's, used or leased, for over twenty years because I loved having a worry free car. Now I actually buy the best of the best Honda, and am going through this stress. Because unless I figure out what's causing it, even if they fix it again, I'll still be stressed daily about it happening a third time.

So any help or anyone else that has had the same problem, would be greatly, greatly, appreciated.

Thanks again for your taking the time to read this and any input you might have. I figure, since it can happen on mine from just being parked in the sun, it's something we all should be concerned about.

I truly appreciate any and all help.

Cheers!

Here's a couple pics of the car new at my parents house in Phoenix:

Here's the pics of the damage and surrounding areas:

And then, here's what's directly across from where the damage occurs. Could it be the AC unit somehow? Or possibly that back door gets opened a lot for the tennent to let her dog sit on the stairs and there's a laundry machine right there. Could it be anything there?

Thanks again, for any and all help!!

Attachments

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
I think there is some "building" or structure that is turning your Accord into an Ant under a magnifying glass.

What color are the other cars?

Jay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The old caddy next to me on the left is a copper brown, the '13 Volvo S60 is silver, the Mini-Cooper that parkes behind or in front of the s60 is Black. My car '03 civic in front is Silver.

I totally agree about the magnifying glass theory. But we can't figure out what fromt the building is doing it. And of course, I can't get the pics to upload properly to give anyone a reference to help with.

ETA: Ah, I guess they're showing. I've got a few more if people want some other angles to try to figure it out.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,204 Posts
Fixed your pics.

Something has to be reflecting the suns rays to do that type of damage. (It wouldn't be the first time it's happened to someone.) To figure out what though, you might have to sit out there and keep an eye on the car. Or just park the car somewhere else.

As for
I'm not happy about paying $250 and don't feel I should. I mean, isn't situations like this, what a warranty is for? Parts failing not caused by driver/owner?
The warranty is to cover defects. This is not a defect. Something (the sun's reflected rays?) is causing the damage and thus not covered under warranty. If your car got pelted by hail and put dents all over it, should Honda warranty the damage? No. The damage was caused by nature.

Reflected light from London skyscraper melts car

Never mind the traffic, car owners in London have a new hazard to worry about: A skyscraper whose reflected rays have the power to melt cars.

It may sound like science fiction, but it was no joke for Jaguar XJ owner Martin Lindsay, who parked his pricey ride near the under-construction building, officially called 20 Fenchurch Street, but known by many Londoners as the "Walkie Talkie" for its distinctive shape.

When he returned to the car, he found some panels warped beyond repair by the beam of light reflected down from the curved side of the landmark glass tower.

The developers of the 37-floor building, Canary Wharf and Land Securities, have said they'll pay for the high-spec vehicle to be fixed.

The City A.M. newspaper said light reflected from the building had also previously damaged a van parked on the same street, Eastcheap.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/03/world/europe/uk-london-building-melts-car/

·
No PRND
583 Posts
I second the sunlight reflection as a possible cause. But 41k for a Sport? Man mine was almost half that out the door.

oh its not the sport lol. its the v6 coupe (pictures work now). that explains the price.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Can't see all pic's, but black cars get the hottest. Not sure why spoiler is deforming, other than material been to thin and color is magnifying issue.

I would get vent visors & keep front windows vented to allow cooler interior temperature.

I would not accept anything less than a free replacement for rear spoiler since your under 3/36 warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed your pics.

Something has to be reflecting the suns rays to do that type of damage. (It wouldn't be the first time it's happened to someone.) To figure out what though, you might have to sit out there and keep an eye on the car. Or just park the car somewhere else.

As for

The warranty is to cover defects. This is not a defect. Something (the sun's reflected rays?) is causing the damage and thus not covered under warranty. If your car got pelted by hail and put dents all over it, should Honda warranty the damage? No. The damage was caused by nature.
Thanks for fixing the pics!! I agree with this in principle. That logic came from wondering if it was more a combination of the kind of plastic being used and why it's so malleable under sunlight. Or if somehow the chrome accents where giving off heat and causing the damage? Which I know is thin, I'm just trying to spitball ideas and come up with a cause.

I'm more so concerned about it repeating again. Can you see anything in the builing pic that could be refracting light like that? That's what no one in my world can figure out.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Great, I just had them put the V-6 "B" pillar trim on my i4 sedan. Fortunately it will be parked in a garage most of the time. You can see the sunlight reflecting off of the car window so at some point in the day it probably hits the "B" pillar as well.

My question is, are both sides affected and if so do you always park your car facing in the same direction? If you are always parked in the same direction then I would not think the reflection I am seeing would affect the other side of your car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great, I just had them put the V-6 "B" pillar trim on my i4 sedan. Fortunately it will be parked in a garage most of the time. You can see the sunlight reflecting off of the car window so at some point in the day it probably hits the "B" pillar as well.

My question is, are both sides affected and if so do you always park your car facing in the same direction? If you are always parked in the same direction then I would not think the reflection I am seeing would affect the other side of your car.
Thanks for your input. To answer your question, it's only happened on one side, the driver's side. So, I've been backing it in and parking the other way since to see if it happens on the passenger side. So far nothing, but it seemed to happen slowly over months at a time.

The thing is, nobody can tell where off the building sunlight is reflecting to magnify the light to cause that damage.

Does anyone have any ideas from the pics of the building that are posted?

·
2014 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe
55 Posts
First off, what a $h*tty problem. Sorry to hear that's happening to you.

Anyway you can point a cheap nany/security cam at it from your place while it's parked? You then could fast forward/review the footage and see what's going on during the day.

Also I agree with the others that you are getting magnified somehow. Possible variables are time of year sun angle, position of other cars/objects around your car, and maybe the position of a window on a building which would then be influenced by time of year.

I hope some sadist isn't messing with you.

BTW, I know someone who had their fabric couch catch on fire from magnified sunlight passing through a fish tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There have been problems with certain types of building windows. High efficiency or windows with particular coating which end up reflecting most of the sunlight These windows create all sorts of problems melting stuff. Do a google search. Its a real issue. Look at where the reflections are coming from and notice if the windows look relatively new.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There have been problems with certain types of building windows. High efficiency or windows with particular coating which end up reflecting most of the sunlight These windows create all sorts of problems melting stuff. Do a google search. Its a real issue. Look at where the reflections are coming from and notice if the windows look relatively new.
I'm thinking this might be the culprit.

ETA: I just asked my neighbors and he says he can't see any coating on the window or any markings that designate it as High efficiency, but I'll ask my landlord and his handyman all the same.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
We’re still near the winter solstice. How hot is it in LA this time of the year? If this happens now, what will happen in July’s heat? Although the windows in the apartment do not look that big, it is still possible they may reflect light. And if those windows are a tiny bit concave and the focal point is juuuust right, they could magnify and focus that reflected light on your car to super heat it. But how hot must it get? Also, that focused reflection of light would move across your car as the day passes. This really is odd, especially if under a car cover! Have you tried backing into your space to see if it happens on the other side of the car?

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
When the sun light is reflecting off of your car get down by your car in about the same area looking upward and you should be able to see where the reflection is coming from.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Maybe getting an infrared thermometer and taking the temp of the body in certain areas would tell you whether or not it is indeed heat-related. Just a thought.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't have a car cover so this is just my guess...you have a black car that gets hot when the hot sun hits it and it doesn't help when you put a car cover over your black paint which could trap more heat under it making your plastic parts warp.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
I don't have a car cover so this is just my guess...you have a black car that gets hot when the hot sun hits it and it doesn't help when you put a car cover over your black paint which could trap more heat under it making your plastic parts warp.
Shouldn't be if the car cover is light colored, such as white or silver, which will reflect the radiant heat energy from the sun, it's one of the purpose of car cover, ie. to prevent sun induced damage from heat or UV exposure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very possible. The only thing is, the cover wasn't on it the second time it happened, because that was so damaged from the sun I couldn't use it anymore.

Shouldn't be if the car cover is light colored, such as white or silver, which will reflect the radiant heat energy from the sun, it's one of the purpose of car cover, ie. to prevent sun induced damage from heat or UV exposure.
Right? Thank you.

Unfortunately the cover started scorching and burning away beore the parts did. And while the majority of it was from the side facing the building, there are scorch marks along the roof of the cover as well.

Maybe getting an infrared thermometer and taking the temp of the body in certain areas would tell you whether or not it is indeed heat-related. Just a thought.
This is a really good idea. Any ideas where I can pick one up?

We’re still near the winter solstice. How hot is it in LA this time of the year? If this happens now, what will happen in July’s heat? Although the windows in the apartment do not look that big, it is still possible they may reflect light. And if those windows are a tiny bit concave and the focal point is juuuust right, they could magnify and focus that reflected light on your car to super heat it. But how hot must it get? Also, that focused reflection of light would move across your car as the day passes. This really is odd, especially if under a car cover! Have you tried backing into your space to see if it happens on the other side of the car?
It's been around 75-80f in Los Angeles. Definitely not scorching weather (compared to Phoenix) so I do agree with the theory that sunlight is being refracted and focused like a magnifying glass on those areas. The source of it is the mystery. I think it is either the window, or maybe the metal awening on the upstairs porch that hangs over mine and my neighbors back door?

First off, what a $h*tty problem. Sorry to hear that's happening to you.

Anyway you can point a cheap nany/security cam at it from your place while it's parked? You then could fast forward/review the footage and see what's going on during the day.

Also I agree with the others that you are getting magnified somehow. Possible variables are time of year sun angle, position of other cars/objects around your car, and maybe the position of a window on a building which would then be influenced by time of year.

I hope some sadist isn't messing with you.

BTW, I know someone who had their fabric couch catch on fire from magnified sunlight passing through a fish tank.
Thanks, it does really suck. Especially since I've really taken to the car. I agree with the magnification theory and getting a cheap security camera is a suggestion the Honda service manager has too. I'm looking into it.

When the sun light is reflecting off of your car get down by your car in about the same area looking upward and you should be able to see where the reflection is coming from.
This is a great idea. I'm pissed at myself because I work nights and of course, managed to sleep through key hours of the day to test this. Tomorrow I'm hoping to try this and find out.

Does anyone think that if I park it backwards from now on, the passenger side front end will get the same kind of damage, or not since it's pretty much all metal there? This seems to be my only solution, but I'm still bummed at knowing it's still going to be a stress and worry hanging on the back of my head. I really like the accessory spoiler, it adds some nice lines to the car especially if you get the front and rear and side exterior accessories. I basically got everything on the car except a moonroof visor and side moldings and the rim upgrade package. Everything else is there.

·
Elvira
3,605 Posts
In the OP you said a laundry machine near the car. From the pic I can't tell where the exhaust may be from the dryer. The exhaust may be moist air enough to deposit on that side of the car. If the heat and sun heats the moisture ,it appears to be acting like some LCP or 6/6 Nylon do when they absorb water. The material warps and blisters when heated. If the heat was enough the scorch a car cover it definitely will warp and blister "plastics".
What do you use to wash and detail your car paint?
Also where do you work? No need to be specific just wondering if since you work nights you might be getting some chemical, exhaust from machinery etc that might deposit and gets activated by heat of the day or sunlight.
Any possibility of chlorinated chemicals or ammonias depositing?
Miker

1 - 20 of 28 Posts