Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2004 Accord Sedan LX
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Yesterday while making a right hand turn out of a parking lot I heard a terrible noise. It was a quick turn and I was accelerating at the same time. After hearing it I did a few more quick/sharp right turns to try to record it and determine where it's coming from. At first I thought power steering, then I thought maybe it's a suspension component, or maybe my wheel bearings?

Here's the video:

It seems to do it only when I make right turns, not left. I tried turning the wheel from crank to crank at a stand still and there wasn't any noise, so I feel that eliminates power steering. Also, it was very cold last night, around -3 fahrenheit. The noise seemed to go away after driving the car for a bit. I looked under the hood for any abnormalities but it was dark, I'm going to investigate it further today. I hope someone has heard this noise before because I'm stumped. I appreciate any and all insight!

·
HK Moderator
13,439 Posts
Hey guys,

Yesterday while making a right hand turn out of a parking lot I heard a terrible noise. It was a quick turn and I was accelerating at the same time. After hearing it I did a few more quick/sharp right turns to try to record it and determine where it's coming from. At first I thought power steering, then I thought maybe it's a suspension component, or maybe my wheel bearings?

It seems to do it only when I make right turns, not left.
Sounds like your thread from one year ago, when you installed Moog ball joints.

I am no expert, but some Moog lower ball joints can last a few years. From where I sit, when they go bad, they go in exactly one year plus a day, so that you are out of warranty. The Swiss wish they could keep time that accurately.

·
2004 Accord Sedan LX
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like your thread from one year ago, when you installed Moog ball joints.

I am no expert, but some Moog lower ball joints can last a few years. From where I sit, when they go bad, they go in exactly one year plus a day, so that you are out of warranty. The Swiss wish they could keep time that accurately.
Thanks for your reply. Could be the ball joints, but this noise is much different than the creaking noise I heard when my original ball joints went bad. I'll keep it in mind though.

·
HK Moderator
13,439 Posts
Could be ball joints, could be an axle starting to go, could even have been something caught in the wheel well.

I had something similar once- I forgot to torque down my lug nuts after a brake job as I drove around the block. (tightened by hand only- 10 mph down my street) Freaked out- ran a few doors down and got my torque wrench and finished the job on the side of the street.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
look under there and see if you have a ripped CV boot.

·
2006 Accord EX
1,295 Posts
It could be an axle, as Rick said. I really don't think it's bearings as you'd get the noise no matter what the turning situation is.
But, it's cold, snowy, right?? check to see if there is anything stuck behind the rotor shield, too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ill bet one of your CV axles has failed. Heres what mine sounded like when they failed on my last accord
Both failed on that car, the second one sounded more similar to yours though. It also would only happen when really cold when they first were going, progressively getting worse over time. Right before I got the first one replaced it would make some hellacious noise and sound like it was going to disintegrate when it was below 0f. The boots were completely intact and undamaged both times.

Just yesterday the right CV axle on my current accord started clacking, because of course it would.

·
Registered
31 Posts
mine does that every winter when it gets down below 15 degrees or so and I make a left turn - but only the first couple of times...I figure its the CV joint - but nothing externally is amiss - boot is ok, no leaks, etc...as long as it doesn't get more frequent or start happening in warmer weather I'm not worrying about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts