Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 V6 coupe, there’s a puzzling & now very frustrating oil leak that leaves puddles in a few different area’s, the leak seems to be in the front driver’s side the source is still undetermined, it leaves puddles under the cold intake sitting on the flat surface. another puddle forms in the hard to get a picture area. $1800.00 later & there’s still the leak and 4 different Mechanics are stumped or I possibly got Ripped off for repairs that were actually never done.
Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Rim Gas

Gas Fixture Composite material Metal Titanium

Gas Composite material Auto part Machine Metal

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

Vehicle Gas Machine Automotive tire Auto part

Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Automotive tire Machine

Bumper Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

Black Automotive tire Bumper Gas Rim

Attachments

·
Turbo lag
2,379 Posts
Start by cleaning up the spills, all of it. Cleaning every oily surface with a bit of degreaser. Makes it easier to track down where the oil is actually leaking from.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
993 Posts
Automatic or manual coupe?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a similar leak (not as pronounced as the OP's) on our remaining Odyssey. Cleaned everything this week, and after running it awhile, finally found fresh oil and the leak this morning.

Organism Font Line Slope Art

Previously I thought it was the front valve cover gasket. Nope, it appears to be the O-ring (#15 on the diagram) that seals that cap (#6) that serves as a thrust bearing of sorts for the front camshaft.

Just ordered the O-ring today.

OF

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't believe the OP. I seriously doubt he's taken the car to four separate mechanics and they can't figure it out. Notice how he hasn't been back since his only comment? He's just using this forum to get advice. That's perfectly fine, but we could do without the silly histrionics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't believe the OP. I seriously doubt he's taken the car to four separate mechanics and they can't figure it out. Notice how he hasn't been back since his only comment? He's just using this forum to get advice. That's perfectly fine, but we could do without the silly histrionics.
What exactly would be the purpose of me to write a post that isn’t truthful? What good would that do me? I’m not a man so do I think I was getting over on yes I most definitely was, I don’t neglect. I would’ve taken it to a Honda service shop from the start however I’ve read horrible reviews & I was quoted a $185 price for them to surface check like an inspection of sorts without fully checking it out & being certain. The 4 Mechanic Shops 2 small mom pop auto shops 1 stated it wasn’t oil and was actually transmission so not really confident in that as I could see oil, & the second said it would cost $125 an hour in labor and that he would most likely need 6 to 8 hrs to just find the source. NTB did a complete comprehensive inspection for $80 with oil change/filter included, the summed the leak up to power steering and coolant leak spraying causing old oil to drip from those leaks then suggested I get every system flush under the sun. Forth Firestone actually had the car two days to inspect for leakage. Not one leak was noted yet I was told I needed 4 new tires, new wipers and an alternator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a similar leak (not as pronounced as the OP's) on our remaining Odyssey. Cleaned everything this week, and after running it awhile, finally found fresh oil and the leak this morning.

View attachment 540539

Previously I thought it was the front valve cover gasket. Nope, it appears to be the O-ring (#15 on the diagram) that seals that cap (#6) that serves as a thrust bearing of sorts for the front camshaft.

Just ordered the O-ring today.

OF
Wow, Thank you would you happen to have a link to purchase oem/ aftermarket Honda parts other the the dealership

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ll gather the paperwork from each mechanic shop & the suggested service’s as well as the worked charged for repairs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wow, Thank you would you happen to have a link to purchase oem/ aftermarket Honda parts other the the dealership
If I need a part that I feel has a high chance of being a red chinese counterfeit on ebay or Amazon, I go directly to Bernardiparts.com and just pay the upcharge to ensure I get an OEM part.

E.g., if you need to get a part that has to work (i.e., vital for operation, and you don't want to tear into your car again), I buy OEM. Items like press-fit wheel bearings, intake manifold spacer gaskets, etc. ... you have to remove a lot of things to get at those, so I want them to work the first time.

For high volume, low-priced items where I'm pretty sure they won't be counterfeit (like O-rings) due to low profit margin for the parts counterfeiter, I find the part number and just do a Google search. Often, the price from a genuine online Honda or Acura dealer is not too far from what I might see on Amazon or ebay, so often I just go with OEM from the online dealer.

OF

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well I do believe the OP. I had an even more serious oil leak in my 2003 Accord (no longer with me) that caused failure of one alternator, an engine mount and two serpentine belts from the oil being splattered all over. It started as a small leak (dripping in the garage floor) that over two years got progressively worse. Two different mechanics and none of them were able to fix it permanently. Gaskets replaced, some VTEC thingy and its gasket replaced and a few other parts but the leak continued. At the end the second mechanic said the leak came from around the crankshaft and he would need to take the engine out to fix it. The car was already 14 years old, had over 260,000 miles on it. Right then I decided it was time to get a new car. The fix was probably more expensive than the car was worth at the time, I would have needed to rent a car and at the end I would still have the same old car.

Reactions: dgates01
1 - 15 of 15 Posts