Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 99 Honda Accord V6 automatic EX.

I recently replaced the transmission fluid. In order to find out how much fluid was drained I took a 5 qt motor oil 5w-30 container, emptied it out, then put the dirty transmission fluid in it. It read 3 1/2 quarts. I only bought 3 quarts. So, I put all 3 quarts in, plus a half quart of the old transmission fluid back in. That shouldn't have been an issue because there was old transmission fluid still in the torque converter. It doesn't all get replaced. My concern is there's probably about a tablespoon of motor oil in the transmission fluid. Both are petroleum based, but one is designed differently than the other.

Do I have anything to be worried about??? I drove it about a mile and it shifted fine. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I doubt that the small amount of residual motor oil would hurt your transmission, but if you cant sleep at night because of that, change the ATF again two more times. That way you will have about 80% new ATF in it. Whats the history on the transmission and what brand of ATF did you use?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts