Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I first bought my accord 02, the brake was excellent, it slow down the car just like a brand new car's brake. My steering wheel spin was very smooth just like a brand new car.

After I bought it to a mechanic to do my timing belt and water pump, my brake become lose, it doesn't slow the car down as good as before, basically I have to press twice as hard to slow down at the same rate as I first I got the car. My steering wheel spin is much harder to spin than when I first got the car.

I checked the brake fluid and the steering wheel fluid, they are both at good level.
What can I do to improve my brake and steering wheel?

·
Bout it, Bout it
738 Posts
Your brakes simply could be wearing out. As this happens, the brake pedal travel distance increases and it takes longer for the car to stop. When was the last time you had them inspected?

As far as the steering wheel, do you hear a groaning/squealing noise when turning it? Is it only harder to turn when first starting the car in the morning or even when driving? Do the power steering and brake fluids look dirty and dark in color.

More information about the car, like mileage and if you're the original owner would help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brake pads are still very good, has the car for 2 months. My brake fluid is in good level.

When I turn my steering wheel, there is no sound, but today I feel that its
getting a little bit harder. It is much harder than 2 month ago.

Mile:90,9xx
After I get my car back from the auto mechanic, my Brake Lamp did turn on, I ask him he say one of my brake light is out which is extremely weird because my brakes lights were perfect fine before go to the shop. So I bought brake bulbs and install it and the Brake Lamp is gone.
An example from google

·
Registered
448 Posts
Serpentine drivebelt not tensioned properly after the work done?

On a V6, for a timing belt and water pump replacement, your mechanic would have had to remove the serpentine drive belt, which drives the alternator, water pump, powering steering pump and one more system that I cannot remember. He would also had to remove the steering pump, too. Hmmm. What a coincidence. I'd be knocking at his shop for a courtesy re-check for at least the drivebelt and tensioner. Maybe he missed a step. Check to see if your alternator is hiccuping, too. Your battery should be a steady 14.4 Volts at idle. Look for a jittery 14.4 or something below that voltage. That may further confirm that the drivebelt perhaps is not tensioned correctly.

The brakes are a totally different system. We will need six of OJ Simpon's dream team lawyers to assign fault to your mechanic for that. But, we can do it. Are you with me? You did not mention brake fluid loss, but check all four brake lines at the wheels anyway for leaks. Even a minor leak will allow air into the system and make your brakes less responsive. If no leaks, bleed air from all lines anyway and see if that helps your problem. Usually, however, air in the system will cause increased pedal play and not necessarily the stiffness you reported. Stiffness could be caused by faulty brake booster hydraulics or master cylinder problems, faulty/sticky brake caliper pins or other big boy problems. Bleeding the brakes won't hurt to try first.

Great photos. You have too much power steering fluid. I'm not sure if that hurts that system or not. For sure you never want to to overfill any of your oils and brake fluids.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts