Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,I drive a 2007 honda accord L4.please is it normal to feel gear changes in honda auto transmission during acceralation? Or are the changes suposed to be noticed only with d change in the sound of the engine and RPM?

·
2006 Accord EX-L i4 4D
229 Posts
Not super clear on what the concern is here . . . is your car jerking when it shifts?

Under hard acceleration, I'll feel the shift from second to third in my 2006 i4 auto. If you stay hard on the gas and under 75 mph, you wont really get to 4th or 5th until you let off. 1st to 2nd happens early.

But yes, the engine will need to pause slightly to change gears, and the torque profile will be different once that happens (lower rpms, assuming an upshift), so you should feel some difference in the amount you're getting thrown back in the seat while that happens.

If it's shuddering or jerking very hard, that's abnormal. But tough to quantify.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not super clear on what the concern is here . . . is your car jerking when it shifts?

Under hard acceleration, I'll feel the shift from second to third in my 2006 i4 auto. If you stay hard on the gas and under 75 mph, you wont really get to 4th or 5th until you let off. 1st to 2nd happens early.

But yes, the engine will need to pause slightly to change gears, and the torque profile will be different once that happens (lower rpms, assuming an upshift), so you should feel some difference in the amount you're getting thrown back in the seat while that happens.

If it's shuddering or jerking very hard, that's abnormal. But tough to quantify.
Thanx for your reply.no, it's not jerking.im talking of this kind of feeling, as if you're shifting a manual gear, kind of.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go to a Honda dealer and test drive a similar car. Then you will know.
I don't think anyone on here has a clue on what your feeling.
Please, try and understand.I notice a slight pull during gear changes during acceralation.its not jerky.just wanted to find out if it's normal,or if it's supposed to be so smooth, so that you can only tell from the changes in rpm and tye sound of the car.it's my first car,and I haven't driven any other car before.no dealers around to test with.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I dont have experience with the I4, but V6 automatics are not smooth. If you searched thru this site you'll see many posts about how they behave. I noticed this right away when I bought my first automatic Accord. It acts differently than other cars I've owned/driven

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
From what I am picking up on this, yes, you will most likely feel the gears change while you accelerate. Hell, you probably could feel the gears change in a brand new car while you accelerate.

Unless you are looking for someone to tell you that during acceleration, shifting will be completely and utterly unnoticeable, then... No. It won't be. Especially from a car its age.

What you are feeling is normal.

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
I never noticed it either, until one day a friend explained to me what the rpms are for, what 5 speed transmission means, what shifting gears is etc etc, Since then I could feel it in my car.

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
I dont have experience with the I4, but V6 automatics are not smooth. If you searched thru this site you'll see many posts about how they behave. I noticed this right away when I bought my first automatic Accord. It acts differently than other cars I've owned/driven
I'm going to chime in here because I am suspecting I know what the OP may be referring to.

You are referring to the shifting sensation that can almost be described as a "hesitation", "blip", "hop" or a "jumping" at the precise moment of a normal throttle shift (none of these terms are entirely precise, but that's the best I could come up with). Another way to put it is a feeling of a momentary change of inertia during shifting that is in excess of other ATs. This issue has indeed been raised in other threads with the gen 7 Accords. If this is what you are referring to, it is entirely normal for these V6 transmissions, particularly from 2-3.

On a gen7 V6 Accord, when it shifts, the car will momentarily retard the timing of the engine which causes a split second reduction in engine torque - sort of like you letting off the throttle as it shifts. This can make the shifting feel more noticeable under certain throttle conditions.

Also, a feature referred to as Grade Logic Control will also cause the shifting to feel a little different that what your used to, especially down a hill (there is actually both ascending and descending GL control types but we'll save the latter here for simplicity). In a descending environment, it will often cause your trans to downshift to induce engine braking, which can be an unnerving and unfamiliar sensation for a new gen 7 Accord owner.

Bottom line is - it's normal. These transmissions do take getting used to compared to most auto ATs. Don't worry about it, get out there and enjoy your ride. Treat it well, and she'll go for a long time.

Best Regards
RW

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello all,I drive a 2007 honda accord L4.please is it normal to feel gear changes in honda auto transmission during acceralation? Or are the changes suposed to be noticed only with d change in the sound of the engine and RPM?
It's a 5AT, you should feel the AT shifted 4 times when the car reaches 50mph. The gear shifts always coincide with the RPM drops. On the I4, the shifts are more obvious because the I4 rev higher to get to the same speed. Below 50 mph, you should feel 3 shifts as the 5th gear won't kick in until 50. I think that is the reason my Accord V6 has worse city mileage than my older Maxima 4AT as the Maxima alway shift 3 times even at 40mph. Honda does not have the smoothless automatic unlike the Nissan or Toyota. The 03 is the first year when they have decent AT shifting pattern that does not jerk the car like the older Accords. I had similar conversation with the dealers on my older Accords. So if you never had Honda before, you should notice it. Also, depending on what you drive before, if you had a CVT, you would never notice the gearshifts but now you do.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to chime in here because I am suspecting I know what the OP may be referring to.

You are referring to the shifting sensation that can almost be described as a "hesitation", "blip", "hop" or a "jumping" at the precise moment of a normal throttle shift (none of these terms are entirely precise, but that's the best I could come up with). Another way to put it is a feeling of a momentary change of inertia during shifting that is in excess of other ATs. This issue has indeed been raised in other threads with the gen 7 Accords. If this is what you are referring to, it is entirely normal for these V6 transmissions, particularly from 2-3.

On a gen7 V6 Accord, when it shifts, the car will momentarily retard the timing of the engine which causes a split second reduction in engine torque - sort of like you letting off the throttle as it shifts. This can make the shifting feel more noticeable under certain throttle conditions.

Also, a feature referred to as Grade Logic Control will also cause the shifting to feel a little different that what your used to, especially down a hill (there is actually both ascending and descending GL control types but we'll save the latter here for simplicity). In a descending environment, it will often cause your trans to downshift to induce engine braking, which can be an unnerving and unfamiliar sensation for a new gen 7 Accord owner.

Bottom line is - it's normal. These transmissions do take getting used to compared to most auto ATs. Don't worry about it, get out there and enjoy your ride. Treat it well, and she'll go for a long time.

Best Regards
RW
wow! Exactly what I have been trying to relate.thank you.but mine is an l4.is it normal for an l4 too? The car is like 8months old, bought it with about 90000miles on it.I started noticing it like 3months after I got it.I had given it to an auto mech to drive, and he said there was nothing abnormal with it.iv been worried,hoping that my transmission is not about to give way.I don't really have experienced with cars,as this would be my first.i love the car

·
2006 Accord EX-L i4 4D
229 Posts
Never hurts to do a 3x transmission drain and refill if you're worried about the transmission's health. There's tons of talk/tutorials on here if you search.

That said, everything you're mentioning here sounds normal. The i4 transmissions are very stable, unless you abuse them. Mine has 171,000 on it and still shifts as well as wen the car was new.

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
wow! Exactly what I have been trying to relate.thank you.but mine is an l4.is it normal for an l4 too? The car is like 8months old, bought it with about 90000miles on it.I started noticing it like 3months after I got it.I had given it to an auto mech to drive, and he said there was nothing abnormal with it.iv been worried,hoping that my transmission is not about to give way.I don't really have experienced with cars,as this would be my first.i love the car
I get the sense that you are just looking for reassurance here. Like everyone is telling you, don't worry about it. Nothing you are describing sounds abnormal. As for the i4 - I'm not sure if it has the same operational features as the V6 (beyond the obvious). If you're really curious, you could ask Honda if the i4 has "torque reduction shifting", or maybe someone on here can tell you. I don't think it changes what everyone else is telling you though.

Abnormal would be:

- Violent shifting,

- Banging, knocking, grinding or scraping sounds coming from the trans,

- The "D" (meaning drive, when you put it in gear) light on your instrument cluster flashing,

- RPMs suddenly kicking up when shifting (flaring),

- Not engaging into gear when you put it in drive, or disengaging from gear during driving,

- Shuddering when the converter clutch engages at highway speeds, and

- Dark trans fluid that smells like burnt toast and has black bits in it.

And, a car can change how it feels during driving over time as it ages. If you're observant and you come to know your car really well, you'll notice rattles here and there start coming in, things aren't as smooth running as before...like people I guess! :lmao:

I would do as others are suggesting and do a 3X drain and fill, just for some self assurance. Make sure you use Honda DW-1 fluid. Have a look at the old fluid that comes out and check to see what has stuck to the drain plug (the bolt that you remove to drain the fluid). If you're not mechanically inclined or uncomfortable doing that, then you might want to have someone else do it.

Good luck!

·
Ut Prosim
16 Posts
Get new transmission fluid put in!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your responses. I have done 2 drain and refill between may and last week.I want to do the 3rd one in 2 weeks time. I intend adding LUBGARD RED transmission protectant to my transmission in the next refill.
Please does anyone have experience with Lubgard red transmission protectant? Is it safe for my transmission?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.