Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I am planning to buy some polk components for my car. 2014 accord sedan exl v6. Which ones should I buy? I want to stick with Polk but should I go with the DB6501 or the DXi6501? What is the difference? The specs seem to be the same but the price differs by a good $60

·
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )
951 Posts
call crutchfield and get them to explain the difference!!

liquor in the front and "polk"a in the rear!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Always been a fan of Polk. Any other recommendations that will fit and cost around $140 and under? I asked crutchfield ANC they didn't know. I was blown away!

·
14 CBP SPRT ( . Y . )
951 Posts
i got my polk db650s from there and they were great with support....answered all my questions....if you are in the US, call the CDN 800 number, or vice versa.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Fit without spacer or cutting the existing hole? If so...I'm out lol. I have no idea what fits, but most of the time not much does. You might gain 'something' from changing to these speakers, but not much. More to it than just swapping a speaker. Are you or have you done anything regarding deadening/sealing the doors? Any amp(s)? DSP?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have DSP set to flat. I sound deadened the doors and trunk. Installed a 4 ch amp. Using channel 3&4 bridged to a sony 12" in a ported box. I plan on running the fronts through channel 1&2. I am also using an Audio Control LC7I as an LOC. The bass is a bit boomy but I can live with it. I really want to bring the front stage to life. I don't mind using a spacer but do not want to cut or modify the doors. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ran some 6.5" focals in the doors with a 3/4" mdf spacer. I didn't HAVE to modify the doors, but I chose to cut back the speaker surround trim pc on the inner side of the door panel to ensure they will never touch. You will know what I am talking about when you take the door panel off.

If the bass it soo boomy for you, try turning the gain down on the sub.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bass doesn't really bother me. I have the gain set up using an O scope. How much were your focals

·
Registered
103 Posts
The ones I currently have in there are the 165CA1. They are coaxials and I paid $150 for them. I will soon be moving these to the back and installing some focal integration components in the front.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any reason why?

·
2013 Sport
201 Posts
I loved my Polks until my customer service experience. I ordered the DB6501s from Sonic Electronics and in 7 months a mid blew. I called Polk for a warranty and they told me Sonic Electronics isn't a licensed reseller and that the manufacturer warranty does not transfer from Sonic to me. I have to get warranty service from Sonic which is actually really great. I don't know if this is standard practice but it's a stupid way to weasel out of a warranty.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did sonic take care of you?

·
2013 Sport
201 Posts
Currently in the process but approved my return request without question.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I loved my Polks until my customer service experience. I ordered the DB6501s from Sonic Electronics and in 7 months a mid blew. I called Polk for a warranty and they told me Sonic Electronics isn't a licensed reseller and that the manufacturer warranty does not transfer from Sonic to me. I have to get warranty service from Sonic which is actually really great. I don't know if this is standard practice but it's a stupid way to weasel out of a warranty.
Unfortunately this is how most deal with warranty. I know on the Focal website they clearly state that if you do not buy from an authorized dealer then they will not warranty the product. In most cases the such as yours, Sonic will take care of you, but there is a good chance that they too can say no.

Any reason why?
I couldn't afford everything I wanted at once, and the stock set up was horrible. I had the 6.5" coaxials from my previous vehicle so I put those in right away. They made a decent difference when compared to the stock speakers, but again this was only temporary for me. Once I could afford the components I purchased those. The reason I like the components is because our speakers are down by your feet and having a separate tweeter up higher in the snail pillars changes the whole sound stage. I installed my Focal components yesterday in factory snail pillars that I bought online. I am very happy with them so far. They are currently running off my stock headunit, but I will be installing a LC6i in and a 4 channel amp here in the next few months to finalize the set up I want in my accord. Note I have a sport which does not come with the premium sound system from Honda.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks nice. I just ordered the polk dxi6501's. I should see them on Wednesday. I may have to brave the cold and put them in. Getting a bit antsy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts