Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL
I recently purchased a 2013 Accord Coupe V6 with Navi.

Overall I am pretty happy with the car EXCEPT I get very poor AM radio reception. I have tried multiple AM stations to eliminate issues at the source, the sound is pretty poor at the best of times but sometimes it is totally inaudiable.

I have tried the forum 'search' button on my issue, apart from a deluge of poor audio performance threads I did not see one specific to poor radio reception.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think lots of people are waiting for a good aftermarket alternative. The am and fm are
Pretty bad.
Create an aHa account online its free, install honda link on your smart phone its free, then add all your favorite stations to aHa, bookmark them in hondalink, link your car to your phone via bluetooth, then under source on the imid select aha.

The sound quality is immensely different. Near CD quality. I don't even bother with the FM receiver anymore its terrible and any respectable station has a web feed that aha can connect to. :thmsup:

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Create an aHa account online its free, install honda link on your smart phone its free, then add all your favorite stations to aHa, bookmark them in hondalink, link your car to your phone via bluetooth, then under source on the imid select aha.

The sound quality is immensely different. Near CD quality. I don't even bother with the FM receiver anymore its terrible and any respectable station has a web feed that aha can connect to. :thmsup:
It is pretty sad that the iHeartRadio app sounds infinitely better than the same station on FM...

Make sure you people are blasting the radio and specifically radio reception and quality on the Strategic Vision surveys you are getting on your Accord.
I just did the 3rd one today.

Jay

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firstly a big thanks for your responses.

I like the AHA solution but unfortunately I use a Blackberry... no snickering :) ...and both Honda Link or AHA is not not available at the BB App Store.

Interestingly my FM station quality is not bad it is just the AM ones I have issues with.

Thanks again or your input.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

I've really been thinking about upgrading to a smart phone so I can get Aha and internet radio. Unfortunately it seems like there are not a lot of smart phones that are compatible with the 9th gen Accords for Aha, and I'm not a fan of Pandora. Plus I've been reading about all the folks that are having problems with Aha, so for me it's stick with over-the-air AM/FM, XM, and iPod or take a chance with an iPhone and Aha. $30 more per month for a smart phone and a 2GB data plan, and I don't know if it'll work well.

·
Banned
308 Posts
I dont really use internet radio on my phone today.....but for all you guys saying to just use AHA or whatever for the Accord.....you are incurring data usage the whole time you are listening to the radio right?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I dont really use internet radio on my phone today.....but for all you guys saying to just use AHA or whatever for the Accord.....you are incurring data usage the whole time you are listening to the radio right?
I would think the answer to that would be yes, but I understand that streaming music, depending on the Mbps streamed by whatever station you are listening to, doesn't really eat up the data, certainly not like streaming video would. I think most wireless companies let you monitor the data you use. At least Verizon does, and they have a neat data estimator that estimates what your data needs will be. If I did start using Aha I would start out with 2GB and if I ran out of that I would just quit using it for the rest of the billing period. Either that or up my data plan:thmsup::thmsup:

·
Registered
514 Posts
AM? What's that? I think I remember seeing it on my in-car laser disc player.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
352 Posts
Certainly does and depends on the quality of the station you're connected to.I used a gigabyte in about 2 weeks. Average about 1 hour a day. (I have an unlimited grandfathered plan so it really doesn't matter:banana:)

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Because modern cars use the body or rear windshield as the radio antenna, it's not surprising quality has gone down. I doubt Honda would make fixing it a high priority, since I suspect many people are like me and haven't even used anything but Aux.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Certainly does and depends on the quality of the station you're connected to.I used a gigabyte in about 2 weeks. Average about 1 hour a day. (I have an unlimited grandfathered plan so it really doesn't matter:banana:)
Wow that's a lot. My wife still has the grandfathered AT&T unlimited but I have the 2GB plan. I don't care that much about feeling like the Flo-rida or Macklemore or whatever they pump out of the radio these days is in THX-quality surround sound so hopefully I'll be fine with stock radio

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow that's a lot. My wife still has the grandfathered AT&T unlimited but I have the 2GB plan. I don't care that much about feeling like the Flo-rida or Macklemore or whatever they pump out of the radio these days is in THX-quality surround sound so hopefully I'll be fine with stock radio
You have totally missed the point of internet radio. Yes you can listen 99% of commercial fm stations and hear the music you dont like but the point of tools like Slacker is you can listen to ANY genre ANY period you like. Ban songs Like songs etc then in addition you can listen to music on demand any album any track.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Even the best non HD FM is never going to sound as good as CDs, or even MP3s. AM is even worse. AM technology is almost 100 years old and FM mono is 65 years old. The frequency response of FM is 50 to 15,000 hertz. With a poor signal to noise ratio. My only gripe is that Honda didn't give us HD FM. Digital broadcast radio is free. Honda went with XM which is not free and still has commercials, I wonder how much money XM paid Honda to not give us HD FM.

BTW Nothing would make Rush sound better. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts