Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am the lucky owner of a 2016 Accord Sport. Ever since I started driving the car I can not get the gas mileage to more than 15 mpg in the city.

I NEVER use the Sport mode, Economy mode is always on and I stay in the "green" zone of that lights up around the speedometer.

I have no idea why I can't even come close to the 24mpg that are advertised. I know this is always a little more than what you would actually get out of the car but being off bei 9 mpg is pretty heavy. Especially considering I don't accelerate like crazy, I step of the gas way ahead of a red light and do everything else to drive as fuel efficient as possible.

Yes, I have been to Honda and all they said was "go through more gas and then we can look at it but you won't be able to get more than 15 mpg out of it"

Does anyone have similar experiences, or an idea what the heck is going on?

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
tires inflated to what psi?
gas with 0%, 10% or 15% ethanol?
in USA or Liberia?
does "city" mean San Francisco's hills or Chicago's flat roads?

And exactly HOW are you calculating your miles per gallon, and for how long have you done this?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey guys,

I am the lucky owner of a 2016 Accord Sport. Ever since I started driving the car I can not get the gas mileage to more than 15 mpg in the city.

I NEVER use the Sport mode, Economy mode is always on and I stay in the "green" zone of that lights up around the speedometer.

I have no idea why I can't even come close to the 24mpg that are advertised. I know this is always a little more than what you would actually get out of the car but being off bei 9 mpg is pretty heavy. Especially considering I don't accelerate like crazy, I step of the gas way ahead of a red light and do everything else to drive as fuel efficient as possible.

Yes, I have been to Honda and all they said was "go through more gas and then we can look at it but you won't be able to get more than 15 mpg out of it"

Try not using the eco button. I have the 2016 Touring with a v6 and I am getting at least 22 with all city and over 33 on the highway. I don't like the way the car feels in eco. I just am not hard on the pedal
and I can keep it in the green without eco on

·
Registered
2021 Accord lx and 2021 Accord Hybrid base
194 Posts
Everyone has a different city.... So sitting at stop lights driving a block and sitting again, yes 15 is accurate. Only a hybrid would get good mpg. Suburban driving should yield more.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Yet another reason why it would be helpful to update your User CP to include your city so we don't waste time and mis-direct people. :)

Reactions: jimijam

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have you calculated the mpg over an entire tank the old fashion way instead of relying on the trip computer?

The readings you get on the trip computer will vary greatly depending on the distance of your trips. A drive around the corner may yield 9 mpg for that trip while a 30 minute drive will yield something much closer to advertised.

Of course there are always environmental variables as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay so my city is Los Angeles, not the hills but the flat part.

Tires are inflated properly.
Regular gas with 87 octane.
I never rely on the board computer.

I calculated it the old fashion way, meaning taking the miles I've driven and how much I put in the tank at the gas station to get back to a full tank again.

Done it 3 times now and no matter what I do I cant get more than 15.5 mpg out of the car on an average. Which is insane! My friend with a Lexus 250 gets better gas mileage and she lives next to me and works at the same company, meaning she has the same route I do 5 days a week.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Okay so my city is Los Angeles, not the hills but the flat part.

Tires are inflated properly.
Regular gas with 87 octane.

I calculated it the old fashion way, meaning taking the miles I've driven and how much I put in the tank at the gas station to get back to a full tank again.

Done it 3 times now and no matter what I do I cant get more than 15.5 mpg out of the car on an average. Which is insane! My friend with a Lexus 250 gets better gas mileage and she lives next to me and works at the same company, meaning she has the same route I do 5 days a week.
What was your previous car and what mileage did it deliver in the same environment?

·
Registered
487 Posts
How many miles on the car? If you've only put 3 tank fulls in, it's not even broken in yet. Get more miles on it.

The best way to get better MPG is to car pool. If your next door neighbor works at the same place and drives the same route 5 days a week, why are you not car pooling?

·
2.5th gear
282 Posts
sport comes with heavy wheels. i have a sport 2014 with 18in sport wheels and the mileage isnt great since those Wheels are so heavy. i live i live in canada tho. doesnt work with mileage. But my winter tires are on 17in Sparco wheels(tire and mags combo 43lbs vs 55lbs for the sport wheels) here's your anwser. I will sell my Sport wheels to buy Light weight 18 in next spring. . They already on sale.

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts

Use the onboard computer as a backup. Mine has been accurate or off by no more than .3 mpg and either direction. So 15.3 15 or 14.7 mpg would be bad no matter the calculator. Also, I bet that the techs at a dealer will use the onboard computer if they test. I have the Trip computer to reset and calculate at every fill up.

I also feel my gas mileage is poor as I am getting 23mpg on my 2015 Sport driving on "city" roads with 55mph speed limits to work every day about 6 miles way. The estimated city driving is supposed to be 26 at the LOW end. And with few lights, a speed limit of 55mpg and literally 6 miles straight to work with no turns, I should not be getting 23mpg. I did another week of driving to work but did about added about 25%/highway and got 26.5mpg. Still about 3mpg short of what combined should be. D

No one ever really answered my question about what a potential dealer would do to correct the issue so I hope you (we)get a solution or some hope. But I say compare the onboard computer, mine is turning out to be (disappointingly) accurate.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Are you spending lots of time sitting in traffic going nowhere? If you're commute is all bumper-to-bumper, or it's a red light every block, then you're going to get hammered on MPG no matter what you drive (electric excepted). Are you spending a ton of time idling?

If you really want to test this, take your car on a short highway trip (maybe 30-50 miles or so). Use the Trip A to track your MPG. If you can find a stretch of highway where you can do a steady 60-70 mph, you should be in the mid-30's to low-40's.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,927 Posts
It's really good to have something to compare to, like your previous vehicle or someone else's that uses the same route.

My Chrysler T&C gets about 22-23 MPG highway, which is the standard MPG for one (mine has 214k miles on it but is in great running shape). Using the same route at the same time of day (traffic changes at different times), speed and calculations (as well as using my trip as a backup), Selene is getting about the same right now, with an exhaust leak. When that gets fixed I expect it to go up.

·
Registered
547 Posts
OP, i live in NYC, and I sometimes get 12mpg when I am all city driving. Take it on the highway, see what the mileage is just for the highway run. Although I have a V6, I get 33-34 on NYC highways, when there is no traffic.... Also, the car is still very new...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Hey guys,

There's a stretch of road on my commute with a stoplight every 1000ft for like 2 miles, I get between 15-20 on that stretch. If you can roll down a FLAT state road at about 45-50mph and get above 40mpg, you're in good shape

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
Car needs to break in more before you should worry.

·
Dsclmr:DIY @ YourOwnRisks
1,159 Posts
It's a new car, and I don't think the OP is clueless. All the good suggestions and the break-in period differences are very, very minimal. 15 mpg would be normal for a V6 that is most driven in surface streets. For an L4, it would be around 19 mpg (on 17" wheel) that is most driven in surface streets. The sport wheels, as said, will cause the most deduction impact to mpg. I know Sport is an L4, but make sure you specify exactly what you have, so members with the same model don't have to guess and better help you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The fact that the car is new should not play a role. It is probably city driving with stops and traffic lights that does it.

I am also on my second tank of gas and was concerned about my mileage of around 27-28 miles per gallon average. I have a 14 miles commute one way, only 5 of which are highway. The rest is city traffic and also it is hilly here. The mpg drops like a rock as soon as I am off the interstate.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The fact that the car is new should not play a role. It is probably city driving with stops and traffic lights that does it.

I am also on my second tank of gas and was concerned about my mileage of around 27-28 miles per gallon average. I have a 14 miles commute one way, only 5 of which are highway. The rest is city traffic and also it is hilly here. The mpg drops like a rock as soon as I am off the interstate.
The car being new does play a role. These newer vehicles fuel efficiency in fact do improve with time.

Attachments

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts
I don't understand why some people are telling him to go on the highway when his issue is current with city. MPG are estimated for city, highway and combined. If the car is estimated to get 26mpg in the city and it gets 26 mpg in the city great. But if that same car was supposed to get 35mpg on the highway and gets 26 or even 27, that would still be a problem right? I think so.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts