Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
The car being new does play a role. These newer vehicles fuel efficiency in fact do improve with time.
Well, even if it plays a role, then not to such a great extent (several miles per gal).

No matter what, 15 mpg is very low. My car would show 15mpg or close to that only if I drive about a mile or 2 to the first traffic light.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
How many miles on the car? If you've only put 3 tank fulls in, it's not even broken in yet. Get more miles on it.

The best way to get better MPG is to car pool. If your next door neighbor works at the same place and drives the same route 5 days a week, why are you not car pooling?
I have friends in Alhambra and Westminster and they would rather die than carpool. Must be an L.A. thing.....

sport comes with heavy wheels. i have a sport 2014 with 18in sport wheels and the mileage isnt great since those Wheels are so heavy.
The Miata and Corvette forums are THE place to go to discuss wheel weights. The first Generation Miatas were so under-powered (still fun) that wheel weight is still the number one topic. You can feel an instant difference in acceleration and get about 3 mpg better with Mazda's lighter wheels- or many aftermarket wheels.

If you really want to test this, take your car on a short highway trip (maybe 30-50 miles or so). Use the Trip A to track your MPG. If you can find a stretch of highway where you can do a steady 60-70 mph, you should be in the mid-30's to low-40's.
EXACTLY! This will tell you if there is something wrong with your engine, a sticky brake caliper, bad tires, etc.....key words are "steady" and "stretch of highway", perhaps 20-40 miles. Road trip to La Jolla!

OP, i live in NYC, and I sometimes get 12mpg when I am all city driving.
My cousin in Brooklyn bought a Sport- ditched the Sport wheels on day #1, and gets 18 mpg in the city. But on highway trips gets an easy 36 mpg.

There's a stretch of road on my commute with a stoplight every 1000ft for like 2 miles, I get between 15-20 on that stretch. If you can roll down a FLAT state road at about 45-50mph and get above 40mpg, you're in good shape
Agreed....

A movie production buddy lives in Hollywood and I stop by each year to say hello- traffic there is terrible. No traffic lights are synced- everyone drives like they stole their cars, and you stop like every 100ft for actresses/dog walkers.

Reactions: 08EX-L

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
1,886 Posts
My wife drives 7kms to work and back, she drives our V6 AWD SUV and gets 15mpg. That number is definitely bad... but if you get good mileage on the highway that would rule out a lot of issues.

When I drive 7kms the trip computer tells me 15mpg, but i'm sure your whole tank was not short drives where the engine never really warms up.

My car is 5 months old and runs on 18" wheels.... the gas mileage has been pretty consistent with 90% city driving.

Attachments

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts
Well, even if it plays a role, then not to such a great extent (several miles per gal).
I am inclined to agree with you. An above posted said posted an image that showed that mpg increased over a YEARS. I was was expecting to see a mileage estimate not years. If a person drives 10,000 a year or 18000 a year when would either of them know when something may be wrong with their cars?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I don't understand why some people are telling him to go on the highway when his issue is current with city. MPG are estimated for city, highway and combined. If the car is estimated to get 26mpg in the city and it gets 26 mpg in the city great. But if that same car was supposed to get 35mpg on the highway and gets 26 or even 27, that would still be a problem right? I think so.
Because city is hugely subjective. Is it a 5mph crawl? is it a stop sign every 1000 ft? is it a red light with a 30 second wait every 200ft? is it behind a school bus? a city bus? San Fran? NYC? Detroit or Denver? If city is defined as "a suburban town" then maybe 25 is good, but if it's Manhattan, then you're more likely to get 10-15 with all that idling and a stop light every 400ft.

EDIT:
but highway is pretty straightforward and a good standard to compare with. If the efficiency matches the standards everyone else knows at highway speeds, then nothing is wrong with the car and it is more likely that the driving conditions are just not good for MPGs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ok wow so many answers! That's awesome!

I have the L4 Accord Sport so no crazy horse powers. Before that I owned a Mazda 3i and I got around 26mpg on it, and I didn't really care about acceleration or fuel efficient driving tbh.

So the 15 mpg is a real shocker to me, especially as the fuel efficiency was one of the major selling points to me.

In the am I do sit a lot in traffic, like everyone does but even on the weekends when I drive further and there is nowhere close to as much traffic as during commute hours, the gas mileage is just as bad.

I will try to take the beast on the highway tomorrow and see what number I come up with.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I will try to take the beast on the highway tomorrow and see what number I come up with.
And please remember- be steady in your mph and try to drive at least 20 miles or so. Fill the tank when the engine is warmed up, immediately hit the highway, and when done immediately fill back up to see how much fuel you burned.

Man, I love L.A.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok wow so many answers! That's awesome!

I have the L4 Accord Sport so no crazy horse powers. Before that I owned a Mazda 3i and I got around 26mpg on it, and I didn't really care about acceleration or fuel efficient driving tbh.

So the 15 mpg is a real shocker to me, especially as the fuel efficiency was one of the major selling points to me.

In the am I do sit a lot in traffic, like everyone does but even on the weekends when I drive further and there is nowhere close to as much traffic as during commute hours, the gas mileage is just as bad.

I also switched from Mazda 3 and the mpg is about the same as the Sport. So if you are driving the same route and had 26 for Mazda and only 15 on Sport, something is wrong.

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts
Because city is hugely subjective. Is it a 5mph crawl? is it a stop sign every 1000 ft? is it a red light with a 30 second wait every 200ft? is it behind a school bus? a city bus? San Fran? NYC? Detroit or Denver? If city is defined as "a suburban town" then maybe 25 is good, but if it's Manhattan, then you're more likely to get 10-15 with all that idling and a stop light every 400ft.

EDIT:
but highway is pretty straightforward and a good standard to compare with. If the efficiency matches the standards everyone else knows at highway speeds, then nothing is wrong with the car and it is more likely that the driving conditions are just not good for MPGs.
I definitely understand it to a point. When car companies are estimating their mpgs what types of driving are they considering? If we only base if off highway mileage couldn't there still be something wrong.

I used to live 15 miles out of a city. The last 3 miles before getting into downtown there would be traffic. I live outside of another city and in order to go into town I have to switch to two different highways. Switching usually slows down traffic. And then over this 23-30mile route there is construction which requires me to drop from 70mph to 50 for a mile or so. So even highway miles could speeds could vary alot.

@ about 2100 miles on my Sport I am still testing mine I still feel it is lower than it should be especially since I have barely used air conditioner and the heat.

Does AC and heat affect mpg cars as much as they used to? Or does that vary by each car's temp control system? I am coming from a 2002 corolla so I did see a difference but I believe with newer cars that is not the issue and/or the estimated mpg out out by manufacturers and the motor trends and car and drivers are with heat and or AC on.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I definitely understand it to a point. When car companies are estimating their mpgs what types of driving are they considering? If we only base if off highway mileage couldn't there still be something wrong.

I used to live 15 miles out of a city. The last 3 miles before getting into downtown there would be traffic. I live outside of another city and in order to go into town I have to switch to two different highways. Switching usually slows down traffic. And then over this 23-30mile route there is construction which requires me to drop from 70mph to 50 for a mile or so. So even highway miles could speeds could vary alot.

@ about 2100 miles on my Sport I am still testing mine I still feel it is lower than it should be especially since I have barely used air conditioner and the heat.

Does AC and heat affect mpg cars as much as they used to? Or does that vary by each car's temp control system? I am coming from a 2002 corolla so I did see a difference but I believe with newer cars that is not the issue and/or the estimated mpg out out by manufacturers and the motor trends and car and drivers are with heat and or AC on.
I guess the problem is figuring out what the EPA calls a city. A better way to advertise would be to give a few example cities. "X car averages 16mpg from 23rd st to 42nd st in Manhattan", something done locally by car magazines and consumer report.

Personally, I think i see a difference when the compressor kicks on, but it's minimal. If you're having a good time driving your car, you probably wouldn't notice it, but when I'm taking it easy on state roads in light-zero traffic, I see a loss in MPG (small, I'm talking from 39 to 37, which is less significant than 29 to 27).

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm for LA as well. When I first got my 2015 Sport, I was getting around 20 MPG. I'm not going to lie though, I went from a 7th Gen Accord to a Sport with 189hp. Of course I wanted to feel the power so I accelerated a bit more aggressive than I did before. However, after about 1k miles my MPG did improve. I'm now hitting around 27 MPG or so on the 405 / other highways (405 North @ 6pm from LAX!!!!!). I still sometimes get 15-20 MPG in the streets. LA traffic is friggin' brutal! I have bicyclist always passing me :(

Give it sometime. You're still breaking in the engine. When I first got my '15 I went to Vegas within the first 2k miles. I was getting 35 nearly 40 MPG on my way. My MPG dropped as soon as I returned to LA.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 2013 sport, now with about 57,000 miles on it, yea its a lot. I live in Irvine but drive a lot in LA and Arizona. I can say that at first I was getting pretty terrible gas mileage. It will improve over time. Having said that I would first try to reset your computer while on the highway and see if when going 65 or 70 while keeping the revs low you see the proper MPG.

Most importantly I learned that if I was more patient with the car and more mindful of the revs even with econ on I saw my MPG go up A LOT. Making sure to keep the revs as low as possible really helped boost the numbers. I hated driving like that so now I just made a compromise with myself to try and just be more mindful but not to the extreme where I don't want to drive anymore. Good luck man and congrats!

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts
I can say that at first I was getting pretty terrible gas mileage. It will improve over time. Having said that I would first try to reset your computer while on the highway and see if when going 65 or 70 while keeping the revs low you see the proper MPG.

Most importantly I learned that if I was more patient with the car and more mindful of the revs even with econ on I saw my MPG go up A LOT. !
"It will improve over time" when is this exactly, after the 1st oil change? Or when I am out of warranty?

Personally, I originally was not looking for the estimated mpg. I always thought manufactures over estimated but I have learned that some underestimate. Also I never go past 78-80 on the highway but usually 73-77 if the speed limit of above 60. People said go above 75 is significant. That is seeming to be untrue as it seems many people are getting high 30s on the highway and I believe estimated highway mpg is 35.

My "city" driving is more go and stop, rather than stop and goes with speed limits of 55. So I figure I should be even higher than the estimated 26mph. But nope. Not yet at least.

·
Registered
111 Posts
OP '16 Sport here. Driven in S or Manual 40% of the time...even on the commute. Traffic isn't as bad as say LA or Atlanta here in Charlotte but it is stop and go most days. I get about 20-22 mpg average per fill up with just city driving. We beat on it this last one, about ~320 miles driven including a round trip to Greensboro, multiple 100+ sprints on the highway, and an autocross event (10 runs total). There was still enough in the tank for one more trip to work but didn't want to bother filling up on a Monday when I had time on a Sunday. Anyway, I'd say your 15mpg should be looked into unless you truly sit in traffic for hours.

PS: The wheels are the new 19s at 38 psi front 37.5 psi rear. Also I don't see a real benefit to Econ unless you're cruising steady or on the highway. In the commute it allows inconsiderate drivers that split second in which they don't signal and dive into your braking distance.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I guess the problem is figuring out what the EPA calls a city. A better way to advertise would be to give a few example cities. "X car averages 16mpg from 23rd st to 42nd st in Manhattan", something done locally by car magazines and consumer report.

Personally, I think i see a difference when the compressor kicks on, but it's minimal. If you're having a good time driving your car, you probably wouldn't notice it, but when I'm taking it easy on state roads in light-zero traffic, I see a loss in MPG (small, I'm talking from 39 to 37, which is less significant than 29 to 27).
All mpg testing is done indoors on a dynamometer and all manufacturers use the same standardized and mandated 5 driving profiles. The results of the five profiles are then used to compute the estimates for city, highway and combined. They whole point is that the figures give a baseline for all vehicles anywhere in the country as the testing is identical for all. Nothing about it is really intended to reflect real world driving but just to provide a standard basis for comparing when car shopping.

http://www3.epa.gov/fueleconomy/documents/420f14015.pdf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
ok so i took it on a test to the highway

22 miles without eco mode = 33mpg
22 miles with eco mode = 36 mpg

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
ok so i took it on a test to the highway

22 miles without eco mode = 33mpg
22 miles with eco mode = 36 mpg
Speed? Steady or not?

If this was a constant 75-80 mph, normal. If 60 mph, lower than normal for this speed.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
It's the way you drive, something is up with your car, or you're not doing your calculations correctly. It's a very fuel efficient car if it's driven right.

Attachments

Reactions: davidm5
21 - 40 of 72 Posts