Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts
ok so i took it on a test to the highway

22 miles without eco mode = 33mpg
22 miles with eco mode = 36 mpg
I need to put my Sport in Econ mode on my next trip. However, I usually put my car in cruise control so it may not help either.

But the consensus is that Econ mode is not significant in the city correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Trust me, I know how to drive a car fuel efficiently and I know how to do my calculations as well...thx tho!

·
Registered
2021 Accord lx and 2021 Accord Hybrid base
194 Posts
With th congestion mixed in id say your car is on the lower end of normal

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
When your car is sitting at a stoplight and idling it is burning gas and is getting zero milage. Many European cars shut off the engine automatically at stop lights. Take an average of several tanks of gas and you will have a good number.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In NYC, I get about 22 MPG city. It used to be around 16-17 strictly city until I went on the highway for a few days and now its averaging around 22. This is a V6 Touring.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
ok so i took it on a test to the highway

22 miles without eco mode = 33mpg
22 miles with eco mode = 36 mpg
This seems pretty reasonable, honestly. If you get 33-36 highway without trying, you're in good shape. I suspect that the problem is that the Accord is not well suited for your particular commute. You could baby the car while you drive, but that sort of defeats the point of having a sport...

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just purchased a Honda Accord Sport and we are getting horrible gas mileage as well. I think there is potential for a lawsuit if other drivers are experiencing the same crappy gas mileage.

We are getting about 19-20 MPG in the city, not the 26 MPG in the city the car is advertised to get. We are not driving in sport mode, and it does not seem to matter if we have the economy mode on or not.

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts
We just purchased a Honda Accord Sport and we are getting horrible gas mileage as well. I think there is potential for a lawsuit if other drivers are experiencing the same crappy gas mileage.

We are getting about 19-20 MPG in the city, not the 26 MPG in the city the car is advertised to get. We are not driving in sport mode, and it does not seem to matter if we have the economy mode on or not.
I have been getting 22-23mpg in suburban driving in 2015 Sport. Last Wednesday and Saturday took the same highway trip. Same temperature and same speed in cruise control. I got 32mpg the Wednesday and the 27.2mpg the Saturday on a 23 mile highway trip! I am very disappointed. My average mpg of the life of the car is 26.7 @ 14,000 miles with very little city driving.

I don't know what the fix would be. It is frustrating. Will cost me an extra $200-300/year, over the life of the car based on my driving.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,665 Posts
I have been getting 22-23mpg in suburban driving in 2015 Sport. Last Wednesday and Saturday took the same highway trip. Same temperature and same speed in cruise control. I got 32mpg the Wednesday and the 27.2mpg the Saturday on a 23 mile highway trip! I am very disappointed.
How about wind direction and speed? Probably your two biggest factors when it comes to MPG.

Not to mention a 23 mile trip means NOTHING in overall mpg calculations.

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts
How about wind direction and speed? Probably your two biggest factors when it comes to MPG.

Not to mention a 23 mile trip means NOTHING in overall mpg calculations.
Well I did say my overall mpg is 26.7mpg. And I drive majority highway miles, then suburban (55mph speed limits) and then a little city driving. The EPA for highway is 35 and combined is 29 and I am getting significantly less than that. Would it be better to tell you that I did a 180 mile trip from New York to Maryland and my highway mpg was 28-29mpg. Average speed was 70-75mph.

This is very frustrating. Out of all the topics posted on this forum the topics of gas mileage always has people replying who seem to never acknowledge that the car itself could have a problem. I call BS to the people who keep blaming wind yet so many people post consistent, and better mpg calculations. Even better than the EPA sometimes. Sorry, I don't think anyone lives in a place where it is so windy that their mileage is dropping by 5-7 mpg.

And yes 23 mile highway trip is something to overall mpg calculations. Especially if you are making the same 23 mile trip over and over again. When you find the stats of the average person's commute in America, they are not going much farther than that on a regular basis. Hence why, manufactures are also posting combined Estimates now.

If I bring the car in to a dealer a Honda tech is probably not going to drive it more than 23-30 miles one way anyway. But I am afraid to bring it in based on all the replies on this forum stating the car could never be an issue. I do rely on the input of others on this forum to troubleshoot for myself, and to not bother bringing things to a mechanic or dealer to waste time and money for simple fixes. And this site has helped me with that several times. But it is puzzling this topic of gas mileage posters often get shutdown so quickly and poor gas mileage is attributed to everything except the car itself.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
A sharp tech will know what to look for. Their diag tool can record fuel trim wave forms over a certain time/distance. If it's running rich compared to specifications, there must be a reason for this. Quickest tell would be to just pull the plugs. A rich running car will have significant deposits on the plus.

Finally, if you're in a hilly area, you will get poorer mileage regardless of distance.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,665 Posts
Sorry, I don't think anyone lives in a place where it is so windy that their mileage is dropping by 5-7 mpg.
All I can tell you is, yes, my car (V6-6MT) will vary as much as 5MPG's depending on a head wind vs. tail wind.

If you are concerned about getting better MPG, drive slower. The ratings are NOT based on running 70-75. They are closer to 60, maybe 65 mph.

And you have to take people posting their MPG's with a grain of salt, everyone is posting their BEST, almost never their WORST.

·
Registered
437 Posts
And you have to take people posting their MPG's with a grain of salt, everyone is posting their BEST, almost never their WORST.
If you actually look, there's tons of people posting their worst, as well as their best, and finally their average. Quite a wide variety in fact, with the most common figure being the average.

I have a 2013 Accord Sport CVT and my gf's 2015 CR-V EX out-accelerates it at a higher-mpg reading, and keeps the transmission (also a CVT) higher in the powerband when the pedal is pressed, whereas the Accord loves to just sit there and lag out in the low RPMs despite having 30% throttle or more. Those 2 cars have the exact same engine and mine actually has a few more HP, so it's kinda ridiculous, so much so that I may have it looked at next time, after conducting some more thorough tests to record the data.

I have a short distance to drive and get around 21mpg usually, and she ends up getting 33mpg with longer trips to work. That may sound reasonable, until you take into account the fact that I can fill up for the weekend and take the exact same routes as her, but will still end up at 21-23mpg instead of 33mpg despite my car having more power and less weight.

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts
All I can tell you is, yes, my car (V6-6MT) will vary as much as 5MPG's depending on a head wind vs. tail wind.

If you are concerned about getting better MPG, drive slower. The ratings are NOT based on running 70-75. They are closer to 60, maybe 65 mph.

Okay, I do believe you about the 5mpg wind though high. I can see it. 7mpg would be a stretch.

I understand the EPA mpg is probably calculated at a lower speed that is why my expectation for 75mph average is around 32-33mpg. (If I could get that more consistently it would be great. That is all.)

I do take those getting higher than the EPA with a grain of salt.

I noticed on Fuelly that the average was also 28-29 and mine was lower. And because I lean towards highway miles (and use cruise control alot) mine should be higher but again I would be content with 29 mixed.

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts
A sharp tech will know what to look for. Their diag tool can record fuel trim wave forms over a certain time/distance. If it's running rich compared to specifications, there must be a reason for this. Quickest tell would be to just pull the plugs. A rich running car will have significant deposits on the plus.

Finally, if you're in a hilly area, you will get poorer mileage regardless of distance.
Thank you for this. This is the first explanation that tells me what potentially could be done. I was just weary about bringing it into the dealer and getting the same responses as on this forum (e.g. drive slower, it is the wind, it is cold/winter gas.)

The only question is will they charge me that diagnostic fee even though it is still under warranty? I don't want to pay for $110 for an hour of labor to tell me that's just the way it is." Or Should I try to add it in when I get my next oil change which probably won't be for another 5 months.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,665 Posts
(and use cruise control alot)
Cruise control will NOT net you the best MPG's either, unless you are going across a flat desert. You can control the throttle and let the car roll up speed down a hill, and let it back off up hills.

I know other drivers may wonder why you are up and down in your speed so much, but it works.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Thank you for this. This is the first explanation that tells me what potentially could be done. I was just weary about bringing it into the dealer and getting the same responses as on this forum (e.g. drive slower, it is the wind, it is cold/winter gas.)

The only question is will they charge me that diagnostic fee even though it is still under warranty? I don't want to pay for $110 for an hour of labor to tell me that's just the way it is." Or Should I try to add it in when I get my next oil change which probably won't be for another 5 months.
Expect to be chared a diag fee. If a fault is found, the fee should be waived as it's a warranty repair at that point.

What specific gas are you using? Have you tried fueling at a different station? Verify the air cleaner is still clean. If you're hauling #500 of dead weight in the trunk, get rid of it. Essentially get all the basics out of the way.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts