Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts
Expect to be chared a diag fee. If a fault is found, the fee should be waived as it's a warranty repair at that point.

What specific gas are you using? Have you tried fueling at a different station? Verify the air cleaner is still clean. If you're hauling #500 of dead weight in the trunk, get rid of it. Essentially get all the basics out of the way.
Thanks for this realistic response. I have been using mainly 2 fueling stations. But of course on long trips the fueling stations vary. Trunk is clear all the basics are out of the way since I have alot of poor mileage posts. I haven't read any posts on here that complain about mileage where people actually brought in, let alone a fault being found. What do you think those chances are? I only see posts about poor mpg are on cars with more mileage and needing spark plugs or something...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
^^It can be so many different things. You need to push for their head tech to look at it. They need to record a bunch of data then compare it to specifications. Among the things mentioned earlier, lazy o2 sensors come to mind too.

If you're technically inclined, pull the plugs to examine their condition. I don't recall how many miles are on your car, but a new car with low miles should be very clean plugs.

·
03 Accord EX
381 Posts
^^It can be so many different things. You need to push for their head tech to look at it. They need to record a bunch of data then compare it to specifications. Among the things mentioned earlier, lazy o2 sensors come to mind too.

If you're technically inclined, pull the plugs to examine their condition. I don't recall how many miles are on your car, but a new car with low miles should be very clean plugs.
Yeah. My car is at about 14,2xx miles or so. I will have to bring it in. Not ready to part with $120 diagnostic fee just yet, in case there deem there is nothing wrong which sounds highly likely realistically.

Thanks for all the feedback all.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

Please explain what a "lazy 02 sensor" is, and how it would not trigger a CEL.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Please explain what a "lazy 02 sensor" is, and how it would not trigger a CEL.
A few years late, but somehow just came across this thread/post and see I never responded.

A lazy o2 is one that doesn't change voltage in according to air levels in the exhaust in a timely manner. That is, it still changes voltage, but doesn't respond fast enough. This is usually prevalent on higher mileage vehicles or those with oil burning issues. Contaminants coat the o2 causing this condition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

I am the lucky owner of a 2016 Accord Sport. Ever since I started driving the car I can not get the gas mileage to more than 15 mpg in the city.

I NEVER use the Sport mode, Economy mode is always on and I stay in the "green" zone of that lights up around the speedometer.

I have no idea why I can't even come close to the 24mpg that are advertised. I know this is always a little more than what you would actually get out of the car but being off bei 9 mpg is pretty heavy. Especially considering I don't accelerate like crazy, I step of the gas way ahead of a red light and do everything else to drive as fuel efficient as possible.

Yes, I have been to Honda and all they said was "go through more gas and then we can look at it but you won't be able to get more than 15 mpg out of it"

Does anyone have similar experiences, or an idea what the heck is going on?
I’ve just purchased a 2016 Acc: sport myself and ive had it for about two week and the gas mileage is horrible like today i filled up this morning around 6am my range was only 305 miles not its like at 200 something . Later on that day my range said i had 405 then went back down into the 2’s somebody explain

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,239 Posts
I’ve just purchased a 2016 Acc: sport myself and ive had it for about two week and the gas mileage is horrible like today i filled up this morning around 6am my range was only 305 miles not its like at 200 something . Later on that day my range said i had 405 then went back down into the 2’s somebody explain
Drive for longer intervals. When my commute was 2 miles, I averaged upper teens in mpg, but now that my commute is >30 miles, I get about 30 on average. That 30 is with ECON off, and a few near redline runs to get on the freeway or pass on a two lane.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I would also add that "live" mpg estimator is not a reliable thing to use as a gauge. Mpg varies depending on speed and engine rpm ac on or off, etc.
Fill up a full tank of gas reset odometer trip counters and see how many miles you'll drive before the low fuel light lights up this will get you better idea of what your average gas mileage is with this vehicle.

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,239 Posts
Use an app like Fuelly to monitor this long term.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts