Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Accord EX is by far the worst car I have ever own as far as night visibility is concern. I find myself constantly activating the high beams to see at night. I never recalled doing this on previous cars that I have owned. There are times that when I am driving at night the top half of my winshield is completely black (dark) and the lower half of the windshield is clear (visible). To me it seems that that low beam output is very limited, Is there anything I can do to increase the low beam output to remedy this situation besides activating the high beams lights. Keep in mind this is for normal night driving. Has anyone experinced diminished lighting while driving at night on the new accord ? I have the 4 door EX model.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had the same problem, until I bought the Touring Headlights! It may be to much for you so maybe HID or a different bulb someone else will recommend will provide you with better visibility. I'm sure theres a thread about it somewhere......

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quite surprised by your concern - projector optics, such as those used on the 9th-generation Accord, are generally considered to be more efficient than the reflector optics used in the past. What's more, the Accord's headlamp bulbs (H11) are a full 25% more powerful than the 9006s that Accords used to be equipped with.

In any case, the easiest and most efficient way for you to upgrade your lighting would be to replace your H11 bulbs with H9 bulbs. These produce approximately 68% more light, but don't last quite as long - they're normally high-beam bulbs.

There are quite a few posts on the Internet about performing an H9 swap. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2083911 is one such thread.

The best lighting upgrade for the Accord is the touring headlight retrofit, but this can be kind of expensive and so an H9 swap is definitely the most efficient way to get it done.

The H9 swap is cheap, too. You only need to buy two H9 bulbs. Total cost: probably somewhere under $20. There's no need for wiring, no need for aftermarket modules, and no need for any mechanical or electrical skill beyond that necessary to file off a tab.

You may also want to evaluate the condition of your headlamp assemblies. Obviously, dirty or pitted headlamps are not as useful.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Quite surprised by your concern - projector optics, such as those used on the 9th-generation Accord, are generally considered to be more efficient than the reflector optics used in the past. What's more, the Accord's headlamp bulbs (H11) are a full 25% more powerful than the 9006s that Accords used to be equipped with.
I am blown away by his disapointment as well. For a halogen based lighting device they, IMO, are very good. I have had passengers ask if they are HID. I am very happy with the light output and my previous car had a very good set of projector HIDs.

Jay

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am blown away by his disapointment as well. For a halogen based lighting device they, IMO, are very good. I have had passengers ask if they are HID. I am very happy with the light output and my previous car had a very good set of projector HIDs.

Jay
Same re: coming from projector HIDs. Before I first drove mine at night I was considering a lighting upgrade, but output is pleasantly surprising. I might consider H9's, but really doubt I'll bother with HID's or Touring retro.

·
Registered
14 Posts
CR magazine rated the Accord's low and high beam headlight performance as good, but noted a distinct cutoff on the low beams when driving over dips and bumps. That appears to be an accurate assessment based on personal experience.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Have you had somebody else get behind the wheel and give the same assessment of the lighting? I'm not trying to be a smart a** or anything but maybe you have some early symptoms of night blindness. It can be caused by many things besides just age...Have another person check it and give an opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coming from a 1994 Accord, I was stunned at how good the stock lights on the 2013 are. Lighting has come a long way! They do have a sharp cutoff, however. Is it possible yours are not properly adjusted?

·
Banned
251 Posts
Coming from a 1994 Accord, I was stunned at how good the stock lights on the 2013 are. Lighting has come a long way! They do have a sharp cutoff, however. Is it possible yours are not properly adjusted?
Sometimes I feel like my lights are pointed low.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
If you think the Accord projectors are bad... Try driving a 2006 passat or 07 Camry.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm pretty blind and I can see perfectly fine with them. You must be very blind if you're having trouble seeing. I'd recommend doing a proper retrofit of hid instead of just sticking the hid bulbs in halogen housing which doesn't help it much

·
Registered
2 Posts
"a distinct cutoff on the low beams when driving over dips and bumps".

This! It's even a bit more that just dips and bumps. When driving uphill, i find the cutoff to be more limiting than i'd like. It's a very sharp horizontal cutoff.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've noticed it too. Mine light up the intended area extremely well, but above that there's a very distinct cutoff. The difference in light level makes it unduly difficult for me to see above the cutoff, and I'm a 27 year old guy with perfect vision. It's the same concept that ruins a photo taken in a dark area with one bright light; your pupils do the same thing in your eyes that the aperture does in a camera. I'd prefer to have the light gradually taper off as it did in older cars, even if it meant the area right off the hood was slightly dimmer.

My concern is that, while you can distinctly see something once it's in the lit area, the light won't shine on it until it's too late to react, especially at highway speeds. For instance, deer are a concern in Raleigh because it's not urban enough for them to leave, but there are enough people around that you can almost never use your high beams. I never had an issue seeing anything in my '97 Camry with oxidizing headlights, but this one scares me a little bit.

Seems like the easy solution would be to adjust the angle at which the lights are pointing, but that would involve blinding other drivers unless you also dimmed them. I may be wrong, but I also feel like getting the angle too far away from spec would raise an issue at inspections.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
I am surprised by OP comments too. I dont see any problems with the stock halogens. However that didn't stop me from just ordering HIDs :)

The "sharp cutoff" comment from Consumer Reports seems to be attributed to many cars. Probably any and all cars with projectors or HIDs. Not sure what they expect but a sharp cutoff seems pretty normal these days.

·
S mode
382 Posts
simple fix dude, upgrade to better light! OEM light are the worst, well at least for non HID OEM light.

Option 1: buy a high power LED low beam
Option 2: spend $30 for a DDM HID kit, you get way better lighting
Option 3: spend $150 for Morimoto HID kit, high quality, but I don't think it's worth it if you don't a retrofit for a sharp cut off.

·
Elvira
3,610 Posts
"a distinct cutoff on the low beams when driving over dips and bumps".

This! It's even a bit more that just dips and bumps. When driving uphill, i find the cutoff to be more limiting than i'd like. It's a very sharp horizontal cutoff.
I'll second that.

The OP may not be used to such a sharp cutoff. I wasn't, but when I recognized the deal it's OK.

Miker

·
Registered
243 Posts
I do have to agree with the OP that the headlights on the 9th gen arent amazing. I actially prefer the headlights of the 8th. The highbeams on the 8th gen also provide a lot more perpendicular light, very helpful to see house numbers at night.

With that being said, the projectors do look a lot better (physically) and the sharp cutoff looks 'classy'. Compared to our 3rd gen which has pop-up sealed beam halogens, these are much better ofc.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
My lights do quite well. I rarely use the high beams, but the fact is that when you don't have any oncoming traffic, you should be using your high beams and switching often should be the norm, except under city lights.

Much of Albuquerque is not very well lit, so it only makes sense to use the high beams in those situations and in highway driving.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Seriously everyone! Am I the only person here who smells a troll?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts