Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Accord EX MT6 and get terrible tread life on my tires. I am a conservative driver. I usually shift at 2400 rpm to prevent the VTEC from kicking in. I live in Prescott, Arizona. This is not a hot climate.

The tires have always worn evenly down to the carcass. I usually buy 60k to 80k tread warranty tires: Michelins, Continentals or Yokos. I am lucky to get 60% of the warranty mileage out of them before they are worn out.

Am I the only one with this problem? If you get better tread life, what tires are you running?

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
No issues with my car, look for high wear rating index such as 500 and up if you are looking for longevity.

Minor suspension misalignment can still wear tires down fast but show even wear, toe setting is one such factor, since excessive toe in or out will cause the tire to scrub rather than roll as the car moves forward, therefore causing additional and unnecessary wear.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Let's start off with the basics...

What year/trim is your Accord & what size wheels (i.e. 15", 16", 17"), and what brand/model/size of tire are you running (i.e. Michelin MXM4 215/50R17)?

How are you measuring, with an actual tire tread depth gauge?

A tire is considered bald at 2/32nd (at least here in PA that is the "failure point" for state inspections). I, too, run Michelin and Continentals and have always had good luck with long tire life. One of the most important factors is ensuring that your alignment is within OEM spec. One of the best things to do is to buy an unlimited alignment package which you can find at NTB, FireStone, etc.

I have a 3 year unlimited plan at NTB where I only let one guy there do my alignments - he drives a slammed Honda Civic so not only loves and appreciates my car, he also fully gets the importance of a good alignment for lowered cars. :thmsup: But anytime that I change wheels/tires, adjust my coilovers, do any type of suspension work (control arms, axles...) etc. on my vehicles, the very first thing I do is call him up and schedule an alignment.

You can tell if your camber/toe are off by the way that your tires are wearing. If the inside (closest to the rotor) is wearing faster, your camber is too negative. If the outside is wearing faster, your camber is too positive. As Avio stated, toe is another important factor. The toe is how far in or out a tire is pointing: \ / or / \ or | |

·
Banned
694 Posts
I can't believe nobody brought this up...

Sounds like you're not rotating the tires if they're wearing out quickly. Then again, you didn't specify where they're wearing out quickly or if it's at all four corners.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
Yes, another good point, Chris. :) I personally rotate my own tires every oil change.

Oh, and on the tire wear topic...another important factor is keeping them properly inflated to best fit your surroundings (i.e. some say higher PSI does worse in the snow so it's best to take out a couple PSI - maybe if you run 38PSI in the summer to go down to 36PSI for winter - I've never seen this validated though, was just advice I've received over the years)

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
Tire pressure, alignment, and rotation are key factors. We ruled out that you don't drive aggressive so that not a factor.

Personally I run summer tires with a tread rating no highter than 280-300 and can get 50-60k out of them driving moderately aggressive. I'd say you have a alignment, or rotation issue.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
D'you garage her in the winter, Chris? How the heck do you get away with summer tires living in LI, NY? What's your secret?? :dunno: lol

All of the 280-300 tires I've run (Hankook Ventus V12, Yokohama S Drive, etc.) didn't last much longer than a Spring-Fall season. Usually by that time I had the wheels/tires up FS haha

·
Registered
804 Posts
On my 05 v6 ex - I had unroll tiger paw tires for 5 years. I just recently replaced them with the same thing because of how they have handled in snow and good even wear. They still had tread when I replaced them
. But the sidewalls were cracking bad. They only had 45000 miles on them, so that's nothing to brag about. I just usually Never have tires on a car that long!!

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
I actually just read really good reviews about the Tigar Paws... they're made by Uniroyal, correct? Arkain, where in Pgh are you? :)

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
D'you garage her in the winter, Chris? How the heck do you get away with summer tires living in LI, NY? What's your secret?? :dunno: lol

All of the 280-300 tires I've run (Hankook Ventus V12, Yokohama S Drive, etc.) didn't last much longer than a Spring-Fall season. Usually by that time I had the wheels/tires up FS haha
Yes, the Accord is garaged October to April, I use a 95 Prelude for 6 months, and the Accord the other 6 months. =)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I actually just read really good reviews about the Tigar Paws... they're made by Uniroyal, correct? Arkain, where in Pgh are you? :)

yes they are made by uniroyal.. and to be honest. when they came on my 05 certified used honda.. i wasnt thrilled... i just thought the name tigerpaw sounded silly.. well i was silly.. cause they have proven to me to get Great tires!! so great that i wanted the same ones again...

im NOW in the south hills off of Rt19 in U.S.C. how about yourself?

·
I <3 My Honda
3,243 Posts
lol nice buddy! Almost neighbors... I'm in Robinson Twp (you know...where everyone and their mother has to come to shop, dine and lord knows what else) ;)

·
Registered
804 Posts
lol nice buddy! Almost neighbors... I'm in Robinson Twp (you know...where everyone and their mother has to come to shop, dine and lord knows what else) ;)
oh god yes... I hate riding my Motorcycle up there (guitar center)... makes me nervous so i try to avoid it.. that place is a mad house with drivers on their cellphones! lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all for the comments. The car is a 2006 Honda Accord EX MT6 running 215/50 17 tires. I was an auto mechanic when I was a kid for several years . I still have all my tools and know my way around cars. The clock just turned 100k miles and I did the timing belt on this car myself. Not the worst wrenching I've ever done but not fun either. Valve adjustment and turning the rotors are next on the list. I drive this car very conservatively.

I also change my own oil every 6k and have Discount Tire rotate the tires then also. The car is garaged year round in Prescott AZ (moderate weather) and the tire pressure, 35 psi x 4, gets checked on a weekly basis along with the fluids, usually on Saturday.

The only thing I have not checked is the toe-in. I expect the tire to show uneven wear when that occurs but will take it to an alignment shop have that checked anyway.

So, I'm baffled about this early wear. I love everything about this car and plan to put 250k miles on it.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Dunno what to say then...other than try other tire brands.

I recommend trying out the Falken Azenis PT-722 A/S tires, I have a set of 235/45 R17 on my ROH Adrenalins. Wearing great so far, they're 600 treadwear rated, A temp and A traction rated, 94 load rating with a V speed rating.

Looking up the factory size for you, the 215/50 R17 only comes in a softer compound, with a 440 treadwear rating. If you want a 600, you'll have to go 225/45 R17 or 235/45 R17. The difference in height is very minimal and won't be bad for anything.

Just a thought...

·
Freelance Gynecologist
215 Posts
Someone earlier mentioned looking at a tread wear index rating. For when you're looking at different tires, just know that rating is not consistent across different manufacturers. For example, a Michelin tire with a tread wear rating of 300 might end up lasting longer than a Bridgestone tire with a the same rating.

·
Banned
694 Posts
Someone earlier mentioned looking at a tread wear index rating. For when you're looking at different tires, just know that rating is not consistent across different manufacturers. For example, a Michelin tire with a tread wear rating of 300 might end up lasting longer than a Bridgestone tire with a the same rating.
Of course they're different from brand to brand, but they do help give a general idea on what to expect out of treadlife from tire to tire. Plus, every car you'll have to factor in alignment, driving habits, etc.

I always take the treadwear ratings while comparing brand to brand with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
.....Gen7 6-6 coupe tire life notes.........

Michelin MXV4 replaced OEM Michelin Primacy tires about 72,000 miles back.

Lots of tread (7/32) remaining. They last. No kidding. Pricey tho'............

ez

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I always take the treadwear ratings while comparing brand to brand with a grain of salt.
I would say that is a very prudent practice as others have also noted. The following is what Tire Rack has to say about the UTOG treadwear grades:

"UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts