Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried using my Garmin GPS for the first time in my Accord EX-L and found that the windshield mount is not a good option in this car. After searching the forum and not finding an answer, I am reverting to ask what are the best solutions others have found?

Is anyone using the Garmin air vent mount with good results? I have read in reviews that it doesn't fit the vent fins in the CR-V, but another review says it works great in their Accord (model year not given).

·
Registered
884 Posts
I put it in the left corner of the windshield. Where the vehicle registration is.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Although I have the built-in Nav I did try mounting my 4.3" Garmin unit. I used a suction mount on the plastic surface in front of the iMid screen on the right side. It fits well there and doesn't obstruct the iMid.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I think I figured it out without buying the vent mount. The windshield suction cup mount seems to attach fairly securely to the deck above the audio touch screen and to one side of the information display so it is still visible to the driver.

Attachments

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I haven't had good luck with suction mounts to anything but glass.

My garmin is velcro-ed on the little ledge above the left air vent. My nexus 7 is velcro-ed about the same position you put your GPS...above the center vents. My cell booster is velcro-ed to the top of my cup holder lid. Point is, don't be scared of teh velcro. I love the stuff...it may not look the cleanest or prettiest, but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Okay, I think I figured it out without buying the vent mount. The windshield suction cup mount seems to attach fairly securely to the deck above the audio touch screen and to one side of the information display so it is still visible to the driver.
How you have it is exactly how I have mine, but mounted with this:

I installed it over the summer in June and it is still on there, rock-solid, even now that it is cold. The best part is it doesn't shake/vibrate when driving, and especially when going over bumps. :thmsup:

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
How you have it is exactly how I have mine, but mounted with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Exogear-ExoMount-Dashboard-Holder-Samsung/dp/B0097KJHG2

I installed it over the summer in June and it is still on there, rock-solid, even now that it is cold. The best part is it doesn't shake/vibrate when driving, and especially when going over bumps. :thmsup:
Those (not that one specifically, but similar style) do vibrate if you have a heavy device (like a tablet), and they don't stay stuck if used in a place like PHX where car interior temperatures are super high in the summer. Been there, tried that.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10...1386200940&sr=8-4&keywords=garmin+no+adhesive

I haven't used it but people on the forum was highly recommending this one
I had that in my Odyssey. It was nice and heavy but still slid around. Helped it out with some Velcro underneath which pretty much made it harder to remove and made a mess after long-term use. Eventually I threw mine out.

OP and others that use a suction mount: No matter what you "suction" it to, it helps tremendously if you lick it first. It makes the suction seal much more secure.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Those (not that one specifically, but similar style) do vibrate if you have a heavy device (like a tablet), and they don't stay stuck if used in a place like PHX where car interior temperatures are super high in the summer. Been there, tried that.
I'm not sure where you are located, but it survived through the New Jersey summer (June till now) without needing to be remounted once. I'm sure a tablet would vibrate, but I also don't think it's realistic to expect a plastic piece like that being able to not vibrate either. For normal usage (ie. cell phone or regular GPS), it holds up very well (slight pun there).

I have used much cheaper ones that you may be referring to, and you are right, they do vibrate - a lot, at that - even with just my iPhone. The only reason I even bought myself the Exogear was because my girlfriend had the first generation version, and I saw first hand the difference in quality and performance.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Although I have the built-in Nav I did try mounting my 4.3" Garmin unit. I used a suction mount on the plastic surface in front of the iMid screen on the right side. It fits well there and doesn't obstruct the iMid.
Apparently you posted this while I was composing my post, and I assume you tried the same thing that I am showing. While it seems secure sitting in the driveway, I haven't tried it on the road. Any problems with the suction cup coming loose?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Apparently you posted this while I was composing my post, and I assume you tried the same thing that I am showing. While it seems secure sitting in the driveway, I haven't tried it on the road. Any problems with the suction cup coming loose?
It is rock solid there. I didn't have it on for a long time, just a short trip to see how accurate the speedometer is since the built-in GPS doesn't display GPS speed. It's a pretty smooth surface though, so I would expect it to stay stuck a long time, especially if you lick it before sticking it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i think its a great location, but i had mine up their as well and it fell off pretty quickly. perhaps i will give it another shot.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is working great for me. Haven't had to mess with it since mounted there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aaaak! The solution by sfm6s524 would cover my tweeter:bawling: Seriously, that looks good, but how is it attached?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Aaaak! The solution by sfm6s524 would cover my tweeter:bawling: Seriously, that looks good, but how is it attached?
Yeah, when/if I install tweeters I'll have to come up with something else. Just stock mount bolted thru vent. Photos here.

·
Red 2013 Coupe V6 MT
13 Posts
Mr Stickee

I have been using Mr Stickee's Sticky Dot for almost a year on my Garmin.
The Garmin suction mount has stayed connected to it for months without having to re-attach it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I attached the suction cup mount to the deck above the audio display, and it gripped so well I thought I could rip the deck off by pulling on the mount. However, after a few hours the suction cup completely released on it's own. I just ordered a Mr Stickee suction cup buddy from Amazon for $4 with free shipping. This is a non-adhesive solution that is removable. While it may not work any better than the suction cup alone, it's worth a try at $4.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts