Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2011 honda accord 3.5l v6 coupe
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, anyone with any idea of the possibility of swapping a 2008 acura tl type s 3.5L engine or a 2011 Honda 3.5L V6 engine from the Honda 6MT into a 2011 accord coupe AT that has the 3.5L VCM engine. Both the Type S and Accord 6MT with the 3.5L engine has Vtec, the 3.5L AT (VCM) DOES NOT. I'm planning on buying one of both engine which runs about 2k but I'm not sure of the chassis placement in terms of engine and bolts line up, or do I have to welt/drill. However I'm planning on doing a swap and going with either of these engine. I like the shape of the 2011 coupe shape, mine is the sport model. So far I've done some work to it. First I've added some Truhart Coilovers, and the list goes on...PowerStop front/rear cross drilled rotors, Spc rear adjustable camber, Godspeed upper front adjustable control arm, Raxle Axle front drive Axle, rear lower eibach sway bar & end links, Mugen front upper strut tower bar, cold air intake, Rv6 PCD, RV6 J-Pipe, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust. CVM muzzler 2 disabler and Running a 20% pop tune on the KTUNER...sweeeeep.!!! I ripped it in sport mode and especially with the exhaust I forget about the drone from the exhaust (working on that). So far I love the car it's light weight and with the tuned & 93 octane cold air to breathe it runs hard. I have not dyno it as yet planning on doing so over the summer before I make the swap. So far I know it's way over the 300hp mark for sure..it's frightening the difference the Ktuner made on the car it feels alive and nimble...New things coming for the summer, HPF style body kit, new paint job, Aodhan Wheels, and sound system. Depends on the engine I choose or the one that best work for the chassis, the next improvement to the new engine will be a 3.7L TL manifold intake, Throttle body and Spacers. The sound of the 3.5L Vtec engine sound much much better than 3.5L VCM engine. The VCM engine misfire often and will damage plugs and cylinder head each time it shut down cylinder bank to save you fuel it damage the engine without the muzzler. However driving this car does NOT give you the real VTEC sound even when I ripped it in sport mode using the paddle shifter..I hear my intake and exhaust and pops from the car having a tuner but the engine sound baffled...the handling is fun though. Yes..it has torque all the way through the gears in sport mode..but that VCM i-vtec engine..Is NOT A Vtec..it leaks and drink oil..馃槒..Mr Honda...Whhhyyyyyyyyy....馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶

Anyone with any solid help in terms of engine choices please feel free to share your knowledge on the matter I would really appreciate it thanks in advance..馃憤

Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
So you're trying to do a VCM to non-VCM swap basically. I don't know about the Accord but people have tried this on the Odyssey and while they've been able to get it running and driving I don't think anyone's been able to do it without a permanent CEL.

When will the mods stop.... or will they?
2008 Honda accord Coupe 6 speed manual
Too bad your not close to me or I'd sell you my j35z3

MT or death
I have not dyno it as yet planning on doing so over the summer before I make the swap. So far I know it's way over the 300hp mark for sure
I can assure you that it most definitely is not. But look forward to seeing those dyno results.

Turbo lag
I can assure you that it most definitely is not. But look forward to seeing those dyno results.
Don't really even need a dyno. Just rip it down the quarter mile and we'll see how much faster than stock it really is.

Reactions: AccorDokken

MT or death
Don't really even need a dyno. Just rip it down the quarter mile and we'll see how much faster than stock it really is.
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but to get anywhere close to those gains there would HAVE to be forced induction involved, right? Bolt ons and a tune will free up what, 5-10 hp? Maybe I'm missing something. And after thousands of dollars, a bone stock 6-6 will still blow the doors off a modded 8th gen auto. I just don't get it.

Turbo lag
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but to get anywhere close to those gains there would HAVE to be forced induction involved, right? Bolt ons and a tune will free up what, 5-10 hp? Maybe I'm missing something. And after thousands of dollars, a bone stock 6-6 will still blow the doors off a modded 8th gen auto. I just don't get it.
Ding Ding Ding, we have an answer. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but very difficult to say the least. I think I'll let @08 v6/6 be the judge of that.

The OP is basically asking for the 2010-2014 TSX V6, it has the J35Z6 (no VCM), makes 9 more hp than the J35Z3 through premium fuel. The 2010-2014 TSX V6 ran the quarter at 14.5s at 97.8mph. The 2008 V6 5AT ran the quarter at 15.0s at 94.1mph. The 6-6 ran the quarter at 13.9s at 101mph. The gear ratio here is everything.

Reactions: AccorDokken

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, if not way over, but up in the 300hp or so..plus was asking for suggestions on the swap..馃榿 what your running..turbo..or your mouth..馃ぃ....you sound like a hater..馃槒

Turbo lag
Anyways...
Your best bet is to just put the car back to stock and buy a 6-6 and slap those mods on the 6-6. Although the Z3 is better than the Z2, your true enemy is that transmission.

Reactions: Wasp

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you're trying to do a VCM to non-VCM swap basically. I don't know about the Accord but people have tried this on the Odyssey and while they've been able to get it running and driving I don't think anyone's been able to do it without a permanent CEL.
Thanks for the information..! So far I have no problem with the car, just looking to get more out of it, without any boost....with all the mods so far..its very responsive...if I don't do the swap...I'll just do some bolt on...Manifold, Spacers and throttle body.

The true enemy

Although the Z3 is better than the Z2, your true enemy is that transmission.
The true enemy is not the transmission on this car...The true enemy is the VCM...do your research. It causes the car to burn oil, damage spark plugs, and cylinder head. When the VCM is activated it shut down 3-4 cylinder while those cylinder are shut down at cruise speed it damage your engine over time. The cylinder that shut down are the banks 1 2 3 which is located at the back section of the V6 VCM engine...this is Honda ways of you saving money short term..but long term your engine will be screwed. The car has crazy oil leaks...I-vtec solenoid Gaskets goes bad, crankshaft seals..all major leaks happens at the area of the drive belt and pulleys. FYI to all I drive the 5AT like a manual with the paddle shifter..Rev match seems easy.

Turbo lag
The true enemy is not the transmission on this car...The true enemy is the VCM...do your research. It causes the car to burn oil, damage spark plugs, and cylinder head. When the VCM is activated it shut down 3-4 cylinder while those cylinder are shut down at cruise speed it damage your engine over time. The cylinder that shut down are the banks 1 2 3 which is located at the back section of the V6 VCM engine...this is Honda ways of you saving money short term..but long term your engine will be screwed. The car has crazy oil leaks...I-vtec solenoid Gaskets goes bad, crankshaft seals..all major leaks happens at the area of the drive belt and pulleys. FYI to all I drive the 5AT like a manual with the paddle shifter..Rev match seems easy.
I meant to go faster.
But yah, the VCM was definitely the Achilles heel for these cars when it comes to reliability.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I meant to go faster.
To go faster...馃槼..I think what I'm getting out of everything I put in this car..I really don't need to go faster. It's the sound of the Vtec in these V6 I missed as I usually ripped through the gears. So far this runs hard enough for me..I get up to 120/40mph fast enough if I want to,..redlining at 7200rpm...but I'm not that irresponsible. With the Ktuner, throttle response
becomes more sensitive. I like to surprise those muscle heads at the stop lights...馃ぃ馃ぃ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts