Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

With the warm temperatures this summer, I have frequently been making use of the air conditioning in my 2006 Honda Accord LX. While driving today, I noticed that there is a noticeable "whooshing" noise coming from inside the dashboard, and only when the AC is activated. It seems to come and go depending on how fast I am accelerating. Is it likely that there is some sort of vacuum leak in my air conditioning system? Should I stop using the AC until further notice to prevent any damage from being done? It still seems to be blowing ice cold right now, so I continued to use it while running my errands today. If it isn't too complicated to solve, I would ideally like to fix it myself before seeking the help of a professional mechanic.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to grab a video today, but quickly realized that the sound is so faint that it can't be picked up by my microphone. I am going to assume that because the sound is so incredibly faint, and that the air continues to blow ice cold, I can go ahead and ignore it and keep driving my car as normal. I will definitely keep my ears open to see if it gets any worse. As long as refrigerant isn't leaking, there probably is no reason to do anything.

·
V4 Watch
840 Posts
The A/C will shut it self off if it loses vacuum/charge. Plus given how little capacity there is in the system, I doubt it is your AC leaking.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The A/C will shut it self off if it loses vacuum/charge. Plus given how little capacity there is in the system, I doubt it is your AC leaking.
Okay, it's great to hear that Honda built in some sort of safety to prevent an A/C leak. I wonder if the A/C compressor is starting to make a little noise now that it's 15 years old. I always try to be easy on it by shutting it off a few minutes before I turn off the car, and waiting a few minutes after start up to turn on the air conditioning. Not that any of this makes any difference, but in my mind, it helps lol.

·
V4 Watch
840 Posts
It could be a compressor bearing going bad.
Okay, it's great to hear that Honda built in some sort of safety to prevent an A/C leak. I wonder if the A/C compressor is starting to make a little noise now that it's 15 years old. I always try to be easy on it by shutting it off a few minutes before I turn off the car, and waiting a few minutes after start up to turn on the air conditioning. Not that any of this makes any difference, but in my mind, it helps lol.
That feature is in place to protect the compressor, not prevent leaks. Shutting off the compressor before you end your trip will reduce the stink that may develop when it is always left on. As for protecting it on startup, try to turn it on when the rpm is low, anything else should be negligible lifespan wise. Mine slams on the first time and gets smoother as it warms up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts