Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Parrot Head
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'03 Accord LX Sedan
5-speed 4-cyl 44k

Ive noticed this getting gradually worse. When I take off in first gear, or reverse from my experience feels like a bad motormount. Ive crawled under the car and checked them, they look fine visually. Ive put blocks under the tires or pulled the E-brake and tried to simulate. My brother said they all looked fine.

If I am idle at a stop with air on/off sometimes it'll vibrate at idle, sometimes it wont. Is there any other way to check the mounts without taking them out? Or instructions to take them out.

Im hoping its not the clutch as it doesnt slip in any other gear. Shifting to
2nd has gotten a little rougher. On my brother's Vette, his clutch was literally slipping and he flushed out his clutch cylinder and that seemed to fix it. I had my clutch cylinder replaced by Honda 3yrs ago due to clicking. Can these be bled? Any help would be great.

·
I snapped my G string....
3,865 Posts
What do you mean it feels like a motor mount is bad. Does it snap? I had a Odyssy that had a bad mount. When i would take off i would get this clunking sound in the front. Sears found it for me. He even showd me. He pit the cars e brake on and step on the gas. The whole engine will rise up and then down makiking a clunking sound.

·
Parrot Head
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Ive felt what a crushed mount feels like on a Cavalier. Mine doesnt shake as bad. Our mounts have fluid in them for dampening correct? If that was to leak out would that cause a problem. Or would being in freezing weather, like -60s as I was in ND cause harm to the mounts?

·
Super Moderator
4,167 Posts
The front mount is vacuum controlled and will cause vibration if it's bad. There is a vacuum line going to it. You can test it by removing the line with the rpm under 1000. The engine should vibrate more with it off if it is any good.

I was able to actually see the top of mine lift off by placing a floor jack under the engine with a piece of wood between a jack it up an inch or two. You will see the engine raise with a piece of the mount attached.

So far I have changed the front and right mount. They are really easy to change out with the proper tools. Unfortunately and did mine with the engine still warm so that was not so fun. The bolts on the right one was really long so it required some force.

·
ready to go....
20,014 Posts
this bulletin has where to inspect...

Attachments

·
Parrot Head
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the help. I saw that TSB but didnt think it applied. Thought that A/T meant auto tranny, and I have a 5-speed. Maybe I can get this and my wiper motor knocked out at the same time. Will the dealer make me bring it in first for a test drive?

TSBs the same as recalls? Do I have to pay for parts being I am out of warranty, or just ask for the goodwill consideration?

·
ready to go....
20,014 Posts
I knew the bulletin didn't apply to yours, but as I said, it would give you places to look for wear on the mounts. The other would be the vacuum lines as was already stated.

You may be best off just taking it in though.

·
Banned
6,435 Posts
Is there anything on 6th gen motor mounts?

I get a bad vibration in reverse almost always, especially with the A/C on. And in drive it can vibrate bad too, and feel like it will stall at a light. :dunno: :paranoid:

Off and on... :dunno:

·
ready to go....
20,014 Posts
That could be a mount, but it sounds like an idle issue too. With a mount the RPM doesn't bounce around. It just FEELS like it should be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts