Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. i just wanted to say that i'm loving my "new" 07 coupe 5spd.... but i have a problem...

on thursday, i pointed out to the salesman that there were 2 noticeable rust spots on the car due to rock dings. these dings were rust, and i wanted them fixed.

i get the car yesterday, and noticed a peculiar haze on the windshield, with a noticeable cutoff right at eye level. annoying, yes, but i dealt with it.

i have come to the conclusion that it was paint and clearcoat overspray when they were doing the minor re-paint.

what will take this stuff off my windshield? i do have some barkeeper's friend left over from a few years back. do i need paint thinner? will it damage the windshield? should i have them pay for a new windsheild instead (car under warranty still)....

thoughts appreciated.... :wave:

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Not likely to get a free windshield from what you described.

Get a razor blade style scrapper and scrap the stuff off, you won't scratch the glass since it is too hard for steel blade to scratch, you could also try clay bar first which might take it off as well.

The bigger issue is you may also have overspray on other painted surface on the car, in that case DO NOT use razor blade, just use the clay bar, if it still doesn't come off then you are into proper machine polishing.........

·
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will any place sell the clay bar detailing kit? autozone / advance auto parts?

·
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is an easier way to take paint off the windshield => Acetone!
will it take care of the clearcoat as well? what about the paint surrounding the windshield??? could it damage it?

i have never used it before, reason why i'm asking such elementary questions...

·
Registered
2006 Accord EX-L
1,611 Posts
I vote for clay bar. It helped me a lot when I got my car back from the body shop. There were overspray all over my windows but I didn't notice it until half a year later when I did a full detail. That bar works wonders. Try it out. You can get it from any auto parts store.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
will it take care of the clearcoat as well? what about the paint surrounding the windshield??? could it damage it?

i have never used it before, reason why i'm asking such elementary questions...
If accidentally spilled over beyond the glass area, acetone can cloud the clearcoat, and soften the weather seal, not worth taking that risk when clay bar or razor blade can do the trick.

·
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool..... i will try this either tonight or tomorrow.....

i just hope that there's some type of water repellant on the windshield.... 3 staight days of rain start tonight... :paranoid:

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
12,716 Posts
Make sure it's an agressive clay bar.

#0000 steel wool and lots of water/lube can work as well. Just don't put too much pressure. If you go this route, do a test area first.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
The overspray will come off that much easier if there was some form of repellant on the windshield surface.

A side benefit of claybar the windshield is apparently a super smooth surface as Trip has done, and claims to be as good as using Rain-X water repellant coating.

I meant to do that when I wash my car last weekend, but totally forgot until I finished drying the car, so I just coated the windshiled with Rain-X, hopefully I'll remember the next time I wash the car!

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,914 Posts
Stiller,

The claybar is first and you just might have to use it several times to get all the overspray off. Give it a go and report back. There's a lot of talent here that can help you.

·
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
will do rtf....

again, with the rain starting now, i won't be able to post results til about thursday at the earliest, even if i buy the stuff tonight / tomorrow....

·
Carpe Diem
3,159 Posts
Why not take it back and make them fix their sloppy paint job? If you screw it up trying to fix it, guess who they will blame it on and guess who's going to be stuck with it?

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
1,015 Posts
I bet they spray painted it.

·
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why not take it back and make them fix their sloppy paint job? If you screw it up trying to fix it, guess who they will blame it on and guess who's going to be stuck with it?
i was honestly thinking of doing that..... the problem is, i don't know if the problem was there thursday, cause the windshield was dirty from rain the day prior....

it could have been there from the factory, but i highly doubt it. it probably happened when they did the repair friday.

·
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what i will do is try to use to clay bar treatment first.

if that doesn't work, i'll be calling my salesman to speak with him about it, and what can be done.... :rant:

·
17,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
in conclusion, the clay bar treatment did not work at all. the paint / clearcoat overspray was still there after treatment....

instead, i used a #0000 steel wool, with a touch of elbow grease. at first glance, it looks like it did the job well. the final exam will be tonight when i go out to take another look at it. the issue was most prevalent at night with on-coming traffic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts