Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't go into too much detail. Earlier today I was dropping my friend off at his house. Idiot decides to drop the car into neutral while the car was in motion. I completely let off the gas and put it back into D. The car seems to run fine and everything.Told him if something goes wrong he owes me a new transmission.

So should I worry? Pretty mad right now.

·
Registered
851 Posts
dony worry about it.... tht happens time to time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope nothing goes wrong. Can I do any self check tests to make sure the transmission engages right and what not? I've read somewhere if it takes longer than a second for the transmission to engage in D, something could be wrong. Haven't tested that theory yet.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
No damage was done. Shifting into neutral doesn't hurt anything, it's just like shifting into neutral at speed on a manual.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
You are worrying and getting mad over NOTHING, your transmission doesn't care about being moved between D and N while the car is in motion.

Now if your buddy slam the gear into R or P while the car is in motion and you hear a bang, then you may have a problem.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
In emergency situations (heck I wondered why the so-claimed stuck accelerator Toyota folks didn't do this..) some would use neutral as a way to coast from a built up speed because then the car isn't in gear and the engine is no longer trying to progress you fwd...

I mean it would have to be an extreme circumstance, but the option is there and I agree w/ others..don't worry about it.

·
Should Have Went 5peed
309 Posts
+1 to the toyota folks.

yea i accidentaly throw it into N from time to time. :lmao:

·
lol wut
570 Posts
+1 to everyone's comments, you're getting worked up over nothing really. I do this all the time in my old beater toyota whenever i'm trolling for a parking space at school, I'll be doing 10-15 and drop it in N till I stop and then just pull the e brake up and relax and wait for a spot haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, good to know. My mind is at ease now. Should of gotten a manual. That way my hands won't move and something like that wouldn't have happened. Well knowing my friend...

Anyway, thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
i have purposely done this to my car to cruise in neutral sometimes, no harm done. if anything it probably puts less stress on your transmission while its in neutral

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
i remember back when i had just turned 17, a gf of mine was arguing with me and threw the car in park as we were driving through a parking lot. it made a lot of clicking noises as it came to a halt; but wound up being fine. I had an 90 firebird at the time. Miss that car. Anyway, I grabbed her and threw her from the car. She got up and tried to come after and apologized and i spun the tires and swung the car into her like a baseball bat. In retrospect, I could've gotten in a lotta trouble for that. I stayed with her. Then two years later I hit the same girl with the accord I have now. She had been cheating and I caught her. The story is actually much longer and funnier than just hitting with the car hahah. Ahh.. the good not-so-old days.

Btw, the button on the firebirds shifter never worked too good. Once on the highway, I slipped it into reverse by mistake.. The car instantly just shut off and started rolling. No adverse affects otherwise no bucking no nothing seeming like it was going into reverse. I put it in neutral as i was still rolling, started it back up, and put it back in drive and kept going like nothing. If a 90 firebird has cutoffs like that; i think a new accord would definitely be fine; even accidentally slipping into reverse (just not park lol it should still have mechanical locking pawls or whatever they use now)

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
OP, slap your friend upside the head so he won't do this sorta things again. But being 17 can make you silly I guess.

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
Way ahead of ya. :thmsup:

@ ntextreme, Haha thats messed up. How is she not dead? :D
well.. if she wasnt still calling me [two years later- havent heard from in a year then got a call last month from a new number... i hung up lol] i would think she was dead lol..

with the accord she jumped outta the way and only got hit by the mirror.. thankfully the mirrors fold in or i woulda lost it. she did do a nice little roll though. i went from there straight to her parents house to tell them everything that happened before she got there (they like and trusted me) they said they dont ever want me around again, but there i dont 'deserve' a record so they wont pursue anything; which they didnt. Her car was smashed (actually her dads car (05 accord 5mt <-the car that got me interested in 7th gens) because she crashed drunk the week before and told them she fell asleep at the wheel. The police [somehow] believed her. Didnt even test her when they found her a few feet from being in someones living room after pinballing her car off other cars and mailboxes on the block. I told them what really happened before I left that day; so i felt some sense of accomplishment for the day. They also thought she was a virgin haha. I corrected that too and let them know I wasn't the first by far. I also let them know she was secretly in contact with her birth mother (she was adopted) who found her and planned to meet up with her behind their back and calls her birth mom her 'real' mom all the time. I heard from her friends she went through some serious counseling after that; gotta love it. lol.

They either disowned her or she left because friends of hers say she went to live in alabama with her birth mom like the next year. enough about that though. lol. because i can [and have before] go on forever with stories i find hilarious on that topic

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lmao:

You win all the Internetz. Thats the craziest thing I've heard all year.

Nice to see where your interest in accords came from haha.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
hey whiteknight, maybe that dude isn't your friend? you ever heard "Keep your friends close, your enemies closer?" mmmm

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
:lmao:

You win all the Internetz. Thats the craziest thing I've heard all year.

Nice to see where your interest in accords came from haha.
Yeah, she crashed pretty bad with that 3 times and it always came it alive. it was so resilient. probably still going. she was always jealous that her own parents would let me drive it and not her (when they first got it) .. lol.. i guess for good reason.

I'm glad I wound up getting mine. It's been an expensive and bumpy road so far. Definitely was outta my price range. I mean. I was just coming up on 18. Used of course- could never afford new. but still.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts