Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a leak the last time I changed my oil months ago and was not sure what it was. The fluid was on the bottom of the transmission pan and I cleaned it off but couldn't tell if it was oil or tranny fluid. The color of the fluid looked kinda brown. I cleaned the fluid off to see if it would return and just yesterday I noticed it was back. I checked my fluid level and noticed the tranny level was in about the middle of the hash marks. I took some photos to see if anybody could recognize where the leak is coming from or what is it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
From the photos the leak appears to be coming from the axle seal area above the drip. The seal is not too difficult to change but obviously requires the axle to be removed.

If the ATF in the transmission is as brown as the drip, it might be overdue for a change. Do you know the maintenance history?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do a drain and refill every 30k miles and I have had the car since 2007. I haven't had any problems with the tranny and have kept up all my maintenance on it. There is no fluid above the part you see so it may be the seal your talking about. How do I go about replacing that part? Is it easy or require a tranny shop to do it?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You do not necessarily need a transmission shop for a axle seal replacement, most any repair shop should be able to change it. Removing the axle is the most difficult part, depending on how rusty things are. If you go to Youtube and search for Honda Accord axle you will find several videos showing the process.

Your 30k fluid changes should be ok if you are using a good quality ATF (Honda DW1, Valvoline Maxlife or equivalent). I used to change mine more often but that was before better ATF became available.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It looks like engine oil seeping out.

You can try using high mileage engine oil which has an additive that swells the seals to stop small leaks.
Walmart has 5W30 and may be 5W20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts