Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the rundown.

Had my 08 Coupe I4 AT since July 22nd of 2008, ran fine for the most part and still does. Has a LOT of things replaced and serviced on it though. All under warranty, but still. It goes something like this.

1. Rotors/Pads replaced due to loud squealing at 2500 Miles
2. Passenger Seat track/base replaced due to loud rattles/noise, along with plastic insides inside the seat
3. Failed trunk springs replaced
4. Rotors serviced again due to warping
5. As miles went by rotors were serviced again due to warping and new pads with springs installed (issue is still ongoing). Dont even care about rears eating pads, I can change those so is a non issue unlike for some.
6. MANY rattles, some I fixed myself and some I cant. Pointless going to the dealer because they wont fix them as good as me.

***Unresolved Issues***
1. VTC actuator is faulty. Todays morning engine start up was REALLY loud, some of you know what I am talking about. Its a 4 hour job which who knows what the outcome will be like. Most of you know once you star taking things apart in the engine something is bound to go wrong if the work was done poorly

2. Passenger seat track/base has to be replaced due to loud rattling just as my drivers was replaced.

3. Blower Motor stopped working for 10 minutes and then turned on, noisy in cold weather. There is a TSB for this exact issue

4. Highway shimmy some of you may be familiar with, unresolved after numerous tire/wheel balancing and alignments. Dealer says nothing they can do or simply don't notice ( of course they don't because I drive this car daily and i know each little thing)

The way I look at it why make payments on something faulty, with problems that might cause more problems in the end even if fixed? I Had the itch to trade for 2010 Back in 2010 since all the issues but decided to stick with it, but now as i am finding more problems it looks its time. I like the coupe, and there isnt much else on the road that I like so i think ill stick with Honda, just a different look and a power boost.

So here is my idea. Some of you may remember that I "bashed" the 2011 coupe, I like the car, just not the tail lights but that looks like an easy fix. I am thinking of stripping all the mods off my car and buying the 2011 V6. Same Polished metal Color to go with my HFP wheels and rest of the color coded parts. I owe 13k on my current coupe, hoping a Honda dealer gives more since its a honda and give me a deal on 2011 coupe I am looking at about 20k Car purchase which should be lower payments than now. I have to pay 350$ now but pay 400$ for faster payoff. 08 coupe was financed for 23xxx at 3.9%. By my estimates it should be a lower payment for the 2011.

I like the extra features on the 2011, engine upgrade from my I4, USB, paddles (which are w.e), leather, heated seats which I miss in the winter and memory seats. Most of my mods like coilovers, roof spoilers, spacers, etc etc will bolt right on so its a win win in my opinion.

If you managed to read through all this, what is your opinion?

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
If you can swin it, go for it.

You will probably get your best trade in at a Honda dealer especially on another Honda. Know what you want. If dealer #1 doesn't play ball, go to another dealer.

Good luck.

Life is too short to drive something you aren't happy with. :yes:

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well there isnt much else out that I would buy. The genesis coupe is a nice package, great features for the price but I cant get use to the front bumper. I like BMWs, but service on those is out of the question plus not in my budget right now. Nissan's only cars I like is the Maxima and 370Z but their interiors dont appeal to me.

Yes I could wait and get the problems fixed, but Ill be making payments on something that I dont Love as much as I used to. Back then I had no choice but to buy a first year release because My Altima was giving out on me, that's the only reason its an 08 and an I4.

All the modifications and accessories I have can literally be swapped right into the new Accord. No hassle in selling the parts besides the intake.

·
NJDR
862 Posts
yo Igor do you know if theres a TSB for the front passenger seat because mine always makes rattles and noises if theres noone sitting in it =(

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea Peter there is http://mordor.rutgers.edu/accord/tsb/ 6th down the column.

Daniel I like the Infiniti g37 but modding those cars is not something I want to do, because I know I will want to. Its not only going to get really expensive but also a more expensive car in general. I wouldn't settle for cheaper g25, id want a g37 AWD and that's out of the budget. I dont really have a specific set budget, it will depend how much I can get for my car and the lowest negotiated price on the new car. Infiniti will run 35+, The snow we have in NE wont be a good combo with a RWD.

Mustang is really nice and I like what they did with it, but I dont see myself driving that car at 22.

One of the main reasons I want to stick with the Accord is its a good package for 11 model, mods are swappable, should be a much improved car over 2008 and what I had to deal with. I am still doing my research and considering my options though :)

·
In Reverse
662 Posts
It's been 3 years, so trading it for another accord, when you are fed up with your accord is a no go, in my opinion.

In 3 years from now, I can already foresee TSB's, and/or recalls for the 2011. It's a new car, brand new design, but I doubt there would be no problems at all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you're open to sedans, I'd consider the Acura TSX w/body kit...looks nice with it and u could use ur HFP wheels. I'm not sure of your other mods, but SOME may possibly be a direct bolt on.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not exactly fed up with the car, I still like the car. Its actually in a weird way fun to fix things lol, but in the end if you look at its not.

2011 is the same car as 2010 or 2009 in terms of powertrain and etc. They didnt change much at all...

Kashmoney, Id only consider the TSX if it was a V6, but then that car is in g37 money category which I would gladly take the G over the Acura.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
I say go for it. Get a 2011. You still "love" the car, but just want something a bit more "trouble free." And all your mods will bolt right back on.

I like to think that by 2011, the bugs should be worked out, and any revisions to fix this and that should have been incorporated into the MMC. A lot of changes could have happened even if it's the "same car."

IMO, the only thing stopping you, is the numbers.

I'll throw this out too. You are 22 years old, so I'll assume you got a good paying job too.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Reading the number of issues you had, I had to do a double take to make sure you weren't talking about an American car. The issues you had would be discouraging, however, if you buy the idea that the first model year is usually the most problamatic then you may be making a wise decision to get out of this and into a newer accord. I've had mine just shy of 4 months, and I enjoy every moment in the car. I can't help but believe the higher trim are built better, but that could be my bias. So I would go with another accord, my only concern is that you may be a little too optimistic on the price you may end up as a result of this deal. I would look at real numbers before moving any further.

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
6-6 is an option but an auto is not a deal breaker. I havent driven a manual since I was 17 so I am really rusty. I am not sure if I will get a manual because I rarely drive on the highway, 90% in the city so manual while fun will also get on my nerves.

·
youtube.com/justahondaaccord
1,639 Posts
6-6 is an option but an auto is not a deal breaker. I havent driven a manual since I was 17 so I am really rusty. I am not sure if I will get a manual because I rarely drive on the highway, 90% in the city so manual while fun will also get on my nerves.
Coming from 2 manual cars before the Accord I can attest that the Accord 6 speed is the smoothest manual tranny I’ve driven. It may be I’m very well versed with manuals but the Accord is the only manual I’ve owned where I’ve never felt irritated by having to shift in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic. My previous car the Legacy GT was very notchy and irritating to drive in rush hour due to its lack of torque off the line while not being in boost for bumper to bumper traffic. I have virtually the same gripe about my 97 prelude 5 speed I owned before that.

With the Accord It’s just really smooth and easy to feel and engage the clutch off the line, power delivery feels very well mated with the torque of the v6 off the line to make bumper to bumper driving not strenuous at all. I would not let the fear of doing 90% city driving deter you from buying a 6-6, my .02.

·
out of control
2,302 Posts
If you can swing it, definitely go for it. I am in the same boat as you. I'm paying for a car I didn't pick out. Originally, I wanted a v6 but my dad went to the dealership without me and chose the i4, with him being on the conservative side.

Life is too short! The 2011 looks great except for the taillights!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts