Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 9th geners,

Looking to become an owner of a 9th gen myself, and I am currently considering buying a 6spd sport 2013 with a little more than 30 K miles on it. When I was looking over the vehicle for the first time I pulled out the dipstick and noticed something that I thought was unusual. I wish I had taken a picture instead of cleaning it off.

The vehicle had very fresh oil in it which looked very clean at the bottom of the dipstick, but higher up on the dipstick I noticed what looked like veins of dried oil.

I wasn't sure what to make of it, as I hadn't seen anything like that before. Car seemed to be in pretty good shape, but I was left wondering if this was an issue.

So my question to you all, can you pull out your dipstick and take a quick picture and post it here? Hoping to compare your dipsticks to what might soon be mine.

Anyone else seen anything like what I described?

Thanks all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, yeah, that thought crossed my mind as I hit the "post" button, though I didn't think about the veins part.

I did this from my mobile, and didn't see the fluid dynamics section. Thinking this belongs there instead.

Can I have a MOD move this to fluid dynamics?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'll look at mine tomorrow but I only have 8k miles on mine. I just recently did the first oil change.

Do they have any maintenance records, it should have had a least 3 oil changes by now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Requested those. Hope to get them soon.

Anyone else willing to whip out their dipstick and take a quick pic?

·
Registered
115 Posts
These cars sometimes burn oil. I love my 2013 Sport (not too many other places to get a sweet 6-speed in a family sedan), but it has been consuming between 255 to 1000 mls between oil changes (5000 to 8000 mile intervals, depending on maintenance minder). I started documenting it after the first oil change. Between 1st and 2nd change: 1000 mls in 5,551 miles; Between 2nd and 3rd: 255 mls in 5,070 miles; Between 3rd and 4th: 350 mls in 5,132 miles; Between 4th and 5th: 525 mls in 5,373 miles; Between 5th and 6th: 600 mls in 8,289 miles (this last interval was because of many freeway miles on a cross-country trip--took that many miles for the maintenance minder to get to 15%) Buyer beware. I'm at approx. 36,000 miles now, and have had 6 oil changes. So, seven service intervals. I'm told this is normal. I'm willing to put up with it, because I love the car, but have not seen this with new cars before. This is sort of tangentially related to your question about the dip-stick. Hope it helps. I have not noticed any veins of dried oil on mine, but then again, I am religious about keeping enough oil in the car between oil changes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Dude - how weird is this.

I filled up today for the first time since I bought my car and checked my oil...I also noticed what looked like burnt oil or something a little more than halfway up... The oil level was fine and it is fresh oil - but, I did notice something like that as well on the dip stick.

I didn't think anything of it. Wiped it off and put it back on and went on my way...but now, I am wondering if I need to think more of it.

Vehicle only had 12K with full service history at the dealer it was bought new from, so, yeah...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These cars sometimes burn oil. I love my 2013 Sport (not too many other places to get a sweet 6-speed in a family sedan), but it has been consuming between 255 to 1000 mls between oil changes (5000 to 8000 mile intervals, depending on maintenance minder). I started documenting it after the first oil change. Between 1st and 2nd change: 1000 mls in 5,551 miles; Between 2nd and 3rd: 255 mls in 5,070 miles; Between 3rd and 4th: 350 mls in 5,132 miles; Between 4th and 5th: 525 mls in 5,373 miles; Between 5th and 6th: 600 mls in 8,289 miles (this last interval was because of many freeway miles on a cross-country trip--took that many miles for the maintenance minder to get to 15%) Buyer beware. I'm at approx. 36,000 miles now, and have had 6 oil changes. So, seven service intervals. I'm told this is normal. I'm willing to put up with it, because I love the car, but have not seen this with new cars before. This is sort of tangentially related to your question about the dip-stick. Hope it helps. I have not noticed any veins of dried oil on mine, but then again, I am religious about keeping enough oil in the car between oil changes.
Mo,

Thanks for the reply, this is good to know. I am pretty sure the previous owner did oil changes per the recommended schedule, which is not quite as often as I would like. Getting confirmation of this from the dealership before moving forward.

Dude - how weird is this.

I filled up today for the first time since I bought my car and checked my oil...I also noticed what looked like burnt oil or something a little more than halfway up... The oil level was fine and it is fresh oil - but, I did notice something like that as well on the dip stick.

I didn't think anything of it. Wiped it off and put it back on and went on my way...but now, I am wondering if I need to think more of it.

Vehicle only had 12K with full service history at the dealer it was bought new from, so, yeah...
Thanks for the reply. This actually gives me some comfort, that I am not the only one to see this. Would love to see a picture if anyone else has this. I have never seen this before on my previous Hondas, so not sure what is up with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So nobody posted pics?

Well, too late now. Proud new owner of a 9th Gen Sport 6spd!

See you on the road!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry, forgot. But I did take a look. No veins. I'm sure it's not a big deal. Specially on a relatively new, low miles car. Good luck with the car. enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts