Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some biker basically force-closed my open power mirrors while my car was parked.

Now, the there is a loud 'creaking' sound when I try folding it out. I can see the motor trying to whirr but there's no motion unless I help it along - gets stuck at a couple of points and then again 'catches'. The creaking sound is really loud - a dog started barking!

I put some lithium grease thinking it would smoothen out. I manually folded it a few times thinking it would bed-in, but doesn't seem to help.

The internal adjustments (up down, left right) all work OK.

Any ideas on what to do!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks thecheese45..

you wrote: "Anyways, after some other fussing around, I adjusted the mirror with the motor all the way to the right (even though it wasn't moving) until it started clicking. After that, I pushed the mirror all the way to the right. When it wouldn't go any further, I pushed harder and it jumped back another half inch or so. Apparently that popped it back into a track, works fine now. ...I swear these cars fix themselves"

So, as I understand it, press the open button, help it unfold with a firm push of the hand, push half an inch beyond the fully open position, and it would click into place..?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ah, so this is where I was a little confused. Do you have mirror casings that fold under power, like they collapse to make the car slimmer?

I didn't know any 6th gens had that kind of option. Especially when you said all the internal adjustment works, I figured you were talking about adjusting the mirror... also figured if they collapsed under power it would be an automatic thing at turn on/off, so wouldn't have manual, internal adjustments. So yea, I'm still not completely clear. Do you mean mirror tilt instead of fold, maybe?

If you do mean fold/collapse, I don't have any answers for ya. If it is tilt/angle, this is how I fixed my mirror (inside of the casing) that wouldn't go into/got off track.

My mirror would only go up, down, to the left, and halfway to the right. When going towards the right, it would hit a spot and just start clicking/whining, and wouldn't go any further. So, I pushed the internal control to the right til it started clicking and held it until the motor/track was as far to the right as possible. After that, I pushed the mirror with a bit of force on the right side of the mirror and it popped back about a half an inch, and after that everything worked like it used to. :dunno:

*This was also my passenger side, so adjusting to the right would be towards the outside

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know what you're referring to...! but mine is the fold/collapse issue. What a racket it makes, jeez, it wakes up the dead!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts