Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a couple of threads discussing this, most of them broke off into other discussions so I felt it would be simpler to start a new thread. If you want to debate if having a socket always hot will drain your battery I would suggest you join the debate here . If you have any suggestions for improving on what I did feel free to add them.

I am sure there is an easier more elegant way to do this but I just did it the most basic and direct way that I knew would work. I did only the socket under the armrest.

Carefully remove the center console according to the instructions here

You will be able to see wires running to the back of both power sockets. Black is ground, other wire is power. Use an add-a-circuit and plug it into the fuse box just over the hood release using a slot that is always hot. My EX had an empty slot third over in the top row that was always hot. Interestingly both power outlet fuse slots are always hot, they must be switched further down the line.

Run a wire from your add-a-circut to the power wire on the back of the power outlet. I used a tap connector to splice into the power wire, a better solution would probably be to cut the wire and solder them together.

My add a circuit is only rated for 10 amps, since all I use the center outlet for is to charge phones this is not a problem. There are add a circuits rated for 15 amps and possibly higher.

I am fully aware that this is not the most elegant solution and that the wire tap is not the best way to splice into a wire. If you are not sure what an add a circuit or wire tap is searching amazon or google for those terms will bring one up.

Back of Power socket under armrest, pink wire is hot, red wire is mine from fuse panel.

Attachments

·
7th Gear
344 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bump…..

Anyone using an always hot fuse and wouldn't mind sharing which one? I tried a couple of fuses (under 10A due to my add-a-circuit) and they have not worked. The last one I tried was #28 Lumbar support.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Would be very hand. One word of warning, this will increase your chances of an interior fire happening when you aren't present to deal with it.
We had several fire inspector cars (yes enjoy the irony) where the phone chargers wiggled up such that the center prong made light contact with the hot button in the bottom. The loose connection caused heat buildup and melted the plastic connector into the socket. This happened on several cars.
So just be aware, even though it's not a phone charger or whatever the is a risk. If you are in the car you will likely see or smell something before it goes too far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts