Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't move to the electric forum. I wanna see if someone has had this problem with starting their accord. Story includes events leading to starting issues.

Wednesday I put an Oracle LED Scanner on the car. Hardwired directly to the battery. Which i've left it on a few times with the car off. Car started up without any problems everytime.
Yesterday I was out an about and when I would make a left turn the bass would cut off. If I made a jerk to the right it would come back on. I had the system hitting pretty hard yesterday before I got home at 4pm to get ready for work by 5.. Went inside and got ready and went to jump in my car and start it. No problem starting. But the gauges didnt move. As if the car was off. So, I turned the car off to turn it back on and now it won't turn over and it will sound like it starts but instantly dies. I restarted it to see if the gauges would come back on.

I woke up this morning and took the battery to the parts store and it was tested and passed. I began to think it was the alternator.

If you don't wanna hear my pain of pulling the alternator out skip the next paragraph.

Pulled that out. I would highly recommend bashing your head against a brick wall before doing that job. My car is lowered. Without taking the fan shroud out, I didn't have enough room to pull it out. I tried to reach the bottom fan shroud screws from the top........impossible. Tried to do it from the bottom and needless to say with it being 95 outside and a bumper, a coke can length from the ground, I just figured I take the bumper off to give me more room and view. I've done it so many times it just takes me 6 minutes now to remove it. Got the bottom screws out and now the fan connection and harness mounts to remove and shroud is out and done. Needless to say harness disconnection was no easier. Probably the hardest alternator job i've ever replaced.

Took the alternator to the parts store. Passed both times. Prior to the car staying starting and gauges not working. Car was running fine and showed no signs of a power issue. Besides the amp cutting off during turns. Which just sounds like a connection issue somewhere. Which I check everything but the sub inside the box. I have no clue to what's causing these problems.
Monday morning I am gonna take the alternator to a rewind shop and have it bumped up to 180 amps. Might as well, while I have it out.

To any of you guys that have not done the alternator job. The belt tensioner is hydraulic. To remove belt, you have to move the nut and hold, until the belt starts to loosen. Otherwise you will have a difficult time removing. Here is a vid on how to remove the belt.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/gaRA2wYBgFk

Any ideas to my problems? Thanks In advance.

·
Grabbin gears
12 Posts
I had a similar problem. It was a blown fuse in the footwell, can't remember if it was the passenger or driver side. Car would crank but not start and after so many tries the battery didn't have enough juice to crank. Also my gauges wouldn't work. Pulled each fuse till I found the blown one and she's good as new.

Reactions: gen8fanatic

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch for the reply. Still don't understand how the fuse blew. I pulled the radio out and checked the rca's. Nothing else. I checked the fuses and the one I found that was blown was the one that said meter. Didn't check the rest. Stopped there. I still have to put my alternator back in first to find out if the meter fuse was keeping the car from running. I imagine it would be being that it's a safety function.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts