Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 EX-L V6 Coupe purchased in December 2012. It has about 1K miles on it. I've noticed that whenever I turn the steering wheel to the extreme left or right while stationary or driving relatively slow, I can hear a creaking sound. It's not loud, but definitely noticeable. It almost sounds like some type of cables are being pulled tight. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a normal sound?
I previously had a 2006 Civic EX coupe and never heard a sound like this.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey I have been experiencing this for the last 2-3 months in my 2013 Touring sedan.

Did you ever get it fixed? Is there even a fix? I want the dealer to take a look at it, but I'm also worried that they'll make it worse.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A few of us have something similar going on. It's been discussed here, although there's not really been a solid solution yet:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193697
Thanks for directing me there. But I'm pretty sure the noise I'm hearing is from the steering wheel/steering column interface, not from suspension components. I've leaned out the window and have not heard anything from the front suspension, only hearing it from the steering wheel.

But who knows I could be wrong. I should probably try spraying some lubricant and see if it helps.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks for directing me there. But I'm pretty sure the noise I'm hearing is from the steering wheel/steering column interface, not from suspension components. I've leaned out the window and have not heard anything from the front suspension, only hearing it from the steering wheel.

But who knows I could be wrong. I should probably try spraying some lubricant and see if it helps.
I have the exact same issue and can swear it's getting more noticeable though maybe just tricks on the ear. Not massively loud, but makes the car feel less refined - not a good thing when a lower class Civic doesn't have this problem (rented a '13 for several weeks).

Definitely not suspension related in any way at all. Has to do with the steering column, like some kind of actuator related to the electric steering is going out of whack.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the exact same issue and can swear it's getting more noticeable though maybe just tricks on the ear. Not massively loud, but makes the car feel less refined - not a good thing when a lower class Civic doesn't have this problem (rented a '13 for several weeks).

Definitely not suspension related in any way at all. Has to do with the steering column, like some kind of actuator related to the electric steering is going out of whack.
I just realized that for reference, I should clarify that my problem is not exactly as the OP describes. My creaking starts about one full rotation in either direction, with a little extra noise when turning the wheel left.

I can only hear it up to maybe 10 mph. Anything faster than that and it's too noisy to hear it. And last point is that I don't feel anything through the wheel itself, it's nice and smooth. It's just the creaking sound.

I will probably give in and try to have this fixed, and when I do I'll report back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had this issue a few weeks ago. The service department guy looked at it and drove it around, and said it's just the sound of the electric power steering pump.

I made a thread about it, but got no interest on it, so I let it die out. lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
The problem is your cable reel. You should go to your dealership and mention technical service bulletin 13-029. You can find more details by searching for that on google. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I turned left of right while parking or driving slow at a turn, I heard a quick click in the steering wheel area. Took it to Honda service and they fixed it in a hour, mechanic said he had to tighten something( had a heavy accent). No more clicking sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have about 1k miles on my '14 Sport and just noticed this yesterday as well. I don't recall hearing this noise before... I also only hear it when driving slowly (i.e., driving around the parking garage) and it sounds like a squeaking noise of two hard rubber parts rubbing against each other.

The problem is your cable reel. You should go to your dealership and mention technical service bulletin 13-029. You can find more details by searching for that on google. Good luck.
Thanks awng.

·
Registered
175 Posts
im noticing some creaking sounds with my power steering as well, taking it to the dealer today. lets see what the problem is

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm hearing a pop sound when making a turn in 2nd gear going about 10mph or slower it does it making a right turn or left its so annoying knowing the car is only 2 months old

·
Registered
190 Posts
im noticing some creaking sounds with my power steering as well, taking it to the dealer today. lets see what the problem is
Did you ever get this resolved? Was the dealer able to fix it for you?

I'm going to take mine in within the next month or so. The sound is getting worse and is driving me nuts.

This is my fourth Honda, and the previous three never had this problem.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did you ever get this resolved? Was the dealer able to fix it for you?

I'm going to take mine in within the next month or so. The sound is getting worse and is driving me nuts.

This is my fourth Honda, and the previous three never had this problem.

hey so I did take it in and they said there was a service bulletin to replace all brake clips on each wheel. Fixed the sound so far. I thought it was related to power steering but I guess not. Hope you get your car fixed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2014 EX was doing the same thing, creaking every time I turned the wheel, but I just traded it in for a 2014 coupe so we'll see if I have any issues with this one but so far so good.

·
Registered
190 Posts
hey so I did take it in and they said there was a service bulletin to replace all brake clips on each wheel. Fixed the sound so far. I thought it was related to power steering but I guess not. Hope you get your car fixed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ah, thanks for the update! Glad your car is fixed.

I'm 100% sure my issue is the cable reel or something else awry in the steering wheel, not my brakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey I have been experiencing this for the last 2-3 months in my 2013 Touring sedan.

Did you ever get it fixed? Is there even a fix? I want the dealer to take a look at it, but I'm also worried that they'll make it worse.
No, I never did get it fixed. I took it to the dealer. They examined it carefully, even compared it to other new vehicles on the lot. They all made the same noise. I was told that it was a normal sound associated with electronic power steering. Essentially, there's nothing that can be done about it. It still bothers me, but unless there is an identified issue that the dealer can fix, I just have to live with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2013 EX-L V6 Coupe purchased in December 2012. It has about 1K miles on it. I've noticed that whenever I turn the steering wheel to the extreme left or right while stationary or driving relatively slow, I can hear a creaking sound. It's not loud, but definitely noticeable. It almost sounds like some type of cables are being pulled tight. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a normal sound?
I previously had a 2006 Civic EX coupe and never heard a sound like this.
is this the sound?

I recorded my 2014 accord. I went to a dealer and they said they compared with brand new accords and it's normal. But i don't believe that because mine didn't make any sound at all before. So i'm going to check on another dealer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Get the same kind of noise, and it's worse when cold.

Going to have my car detailed next week at the dealer, and may have them check it. It is the airbag cable-reel/clockspring making noise. I've thought that perhaps you hear that due to the EPS being silent versus hydraulic steering components. :dunno:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have noticed mine making a similar noise - I'm trying to ignore it. Any risk of damaging something if choosing to leave it alone? Like so many others, I don't want to make another, unnecessary trip to the dealership.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts