Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Crystal Black Pearle Accord Touring
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 EX L v6. I am having a power steering issue and a mechanic performed a power steering flush to see if that would help. He added an additive to the steering system! I know adding anything except the transmission fluid during a transmission flush is a no-no. Is the same true for a power steering flush?

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
I dont have any problems with ny steering wheel but will do a flush my self using honda steering fluid , hopefully it will go smooth

·
Honda Nation
1,679 Posts
The power steering pump on any Honda is generally the same as on any car. It's simply a hydraulic pump that boosts the effort from you at the wheel to the steering gearbox. That's what every power steering pump has done since it was invented in the 1940s. You can put any generic or name brand power steering fluid into your car and it will work fine.

·
Registered
2017 Crystal Black Pearle Accord Touring
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what is your issue in the first place?

secondly the additive may not be friendly to seals in the system.
I will try to describe the issue as best as I can (not being a mechanic):
Turn to the right is "easier" than turn to the left. When you turn to the right, you can feel the steering wheel "jump" or has play. You can audibly hear the play or binding.

The owners manual says use only honda power steering fluid and does not say anything about using additives. So I take that as not to use additives. It goes on to say you can use something other than Honda fluid but if you do, replace it as soon as possible with honda fluid. This furthers my concern with using additives. I will call the mechanic tomorrow and have them drain and add honda fluid without additives.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
it needs to be checked out if you have a noise you can hear. have you curbed the car ever? a bent rack can cause notchy feeling. a loose rack can cause noise. a bad pump can cause a different sort of noise and a notchy feeling too.

I'd suggest you pay up for diag at a dealer if you aren't sure who you can trust and go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts