Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. About a month ago, I bought a 2006 Accord Coupe with a V6 engine. Recently, i've had an intermittent noise with the power steering. Occasionally when I start the engine in the morning, or after the car has been sitting all day, the power steering will make a humming or groaning noise, which gets louder as I turn the steering wheel left or right. If I use the car, this noise will continue for about 10 minutes or so, the time I figure it takes for the engine to heat up.

If you listen with the hood up, and the noise sounds like it's coming from the power steering fluid pump. The tubing, reservoir, pump, and connections have no sign of leakage, and the tank has remained close to full, but there is a little bit of fluid on top of the reservoir. I assume it is spillage from when they filled it, but am not sure. When I lifted the cap after running the car with the noise, the fluid was foamy and bubbly.

I did some research and first thought it was the problem here:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10581&d=1200936994

But I don't think it makes sense that the O ring is letting air in unless I see signs of fluid leakage. What do you all think the problem is?

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
James, welcome to Drive Accord and congrats on the '06 Accord coupe- a fine choice.

First, make sure your car had the recall done regarding the power steering HOSE. It may have been done by the previous owner, or maybe not. That should be free at the Honda dealer.

Regardless, change that O-ring as it will cost you no more than $1.75 (from the dealer's parts dept.) and take you five minutes to change. You are not leaking power steering fluid, but you are probably taking air into the system, which is causing your power steering pump to groan. Changing the O-ring will probably take care of your problem, if not, you can rule it out as the culprit.

A member here, "HondaTechAV6", correctly pointed out to me that it is normal to see some air bubbles and even a little foam when the engine is running and you remove the power steering pump reservoir's cap. It is moving fluid around, after all. You should see some bubbles, but nothing like dropping two Alka Seltzer tablets into water.

While you are at it, you may want to replace your power steering fluid if you are not sure how long it has been in there without a change. Again, this is easy to do and rather cheap. And since it will be AFTER Thanksgiving, you can use the "Turkey Baster" method to do it.

Power Steering fluid change
Member "Drew03Accord" method (tough guy method): http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76581
Member "Princess" method (turkey baster): http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13358

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had the identical problem. In my case I changed the high pressure hose too (the ones with two bolts). That o-ring was .79 at the dealership, plus tax. Lubricate both o-rings with power steering pump fluid (I would use genuine Honda fluid only). My steering pump groan, almost identical to what you described, went away and I've had it working for over two years now.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Is it possible that the o-ring is letting air in but not leaking fluid out?
Since fluid doesn't stay in the inlet hose, and it really isn't under pressure, the fluid will not leak out much, until the oring gets really bad. The pump is sucking the fluid from the reservoir, and a little air will mix in, if the o-ring is leaking. I changed the o-ring with the new orange one about 7 years ago, and it's been quiet ever since. Change the o-ring, you'll be glad it was such an easy, cheap fix.

Totally unrelated, is the recall on the power steering pressure hose (the metal section hose that goes from the top of the pump, around the back of the engine, and down to the steering rack). It could start leaking, and start a fire, so there is a "safety recall". This hose will be changed free of charge at any Honda dealership.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2001 Acura MDX , it took 10 minutes to replace the O-ring with the new orange one and the issue has never returned.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay. Tonight was especially cold, so I figured the symptoms would be pretty visible and it was a good time to replace the O ring with a new one (which i have). I pulled the front end of the car into the garage for light, and noticed that the noise was louder than ever. I popped the hood and turned the steering wheel to put stress on the power steering system, and the power steering fluid reservoir instantly overflowed all over the engine compartment and the ground leaving a large puddle at least a foot and a half across and a bunch of fluid in the engine compartment. I also noticed before hand that there was a little fluid on the cowling of the pump itself, where the two halves of metal come together in the middle.

I think that whatever is letting so much air in the system that it is overflowing that fast is more than an old gasket. What do you all think? Is it possible that the pump itself is leaking? I called Honda and they told me that they had already done the hose recall repair on the car with the previous owner. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Power Steering fluid change
Member "Drew03Accord" method (tough guy method): http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76581
[/QUOTE]

My method won't work with a 6 cylinder, Rick . The hose length won't allow it (or so I was told). It only works on the fours.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The O-ring shrinks in the cold and allows air in the system, the air creates bubbles in the system which creates the overflow. The O-ring is the issue.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Okay. Tonight was especially cold, so I figured the symptoms would be pretty visible and it was a good time to replace the O ring with a new one (which i have). I pulled the front end of the car into the garage for light, and noticed that the noise was louder than ever. I popped the hood and turned the steering wheel to put stress on the power steering system, and the power steering fluid reservoir instantly overflowed all over the engine compartment and the ground leaving a large puddle at least a foot and a half across and a bunch of fluid in the engine compartment. I also noticed before hand that there was a little fluid on the cowling of the pump itself, where the two halves of metal come together in the middle.

I think that whatever is letting so much air in the system that it is overflowing that fast is more than an old gasket. What do you all think? Is it possible that the pump itself is leaking? I called Honda and they told me that they had already done the hose recall repair on the car with the previous owner. :dunno:
While the o-ring may not be the only problem, it is no doubt contributing to it. If you've been running it like that for a while, letting air into the system, I assume it could ruin the pump. Even if your pump is leaking, if the internals are not damaged you can rebuild the pump with new seals and O-rings. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I replaced the O ring and everything is working without a noise. Since I bought the car used and don't know when it was last changed, how can I tell when the power steering fluid needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Honda has no scheduled power steering change interval. As the fluid ages it gets darker. The main reason power steering fluid needs to be changed is if it becomes contaminated. Such as putting the wrong fluid in the reservoir or a failure of a pump or steering rack that puts metal shavings or other contaminates in the fluid. It is cheap insurance, a couple of bottles is less than $10, turkey baster method is an effective way to change the fluid. Once every 100,000 should be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts