Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. So I have a 2013 ex-l v6 sedan and I've noticed a noise when I turn the steering wheel. It's most evident when I'm stationary and I turn the wheel fully one way or another. The sound is similar to clicking, it reminds me of there being some type of metal ball being clicked or something. Sorry for the crappy explanation but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if this is normal across the board or if mine has some type of defect. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Probably the clockspring inside the steering wheel that is the interface between the buttons and the car's electrics. Several members, including myself, have this issue. It's definitely most noticeable at low speeds, such as backing out of your driveway. It's not an issue, unless the noise bothers you. I'm just afraid the dealer would do more harm than good trying to fix it, so I just live with it.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It's most evident when I'm stationary and I turn the wheel fully one way or another.
That makes me cringe. Not because of the noise but because of what it does to your tires!!

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Really? I have been wrenching on cars 25 years and that's the first time I have hears that little nugget. I guess driving my old Jeep on rocks while turning the tires really wears em down..... LMAO!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Probably the clockspring inside the steering wheel that is the interface between the buttons and the car's electrics. Several members, including myself, have this issue. It's definitely most noticeable at low speeds, such as backing out of your driveway. It's not an issue, unless the noise bothers you. I'm just afraid the dealer would do more harm than good trying to fix it, so I just live with it.
My situation, and thoughts, EXACTLY. I don't like the noise, but I'm sure that a Honda tech would just destroy the wheel and make everything worse.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
My situation, and thoughts, EXACTLY. I don't like the noise, but I'm sure that a Honda tech would just destroy the wheel and make everything worse.
I totally disagree! I treat every car as if it was my own - cut no corners and work with a work ethic most people can't even imagine!

if any problem arises with your car after any service the dealer, if a good one, will bend over backwards to make sure are taken care of! don't fear the mechanic, the mechanic should fear you and make sure you are treated right.

as for the noise - does it happen inside the cabin or outside at the wheels?

if inside is a light spring/tapping noise at the air bag? we are replacing them for an internal noise.

if outside at the wheels are you sure it's not a rock in the tires scratching the ground as you turn the wheels while stationary?

if outside at the wheels is it a single click that will not happen again if you back off lock a half turn and then hit lock again?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I totally disagree! I treat every car as if it was my own - cut no corners and work with a work ethic most people can't even imagine!

if any problem arises with your car after any service the dealer, if a good one, will bend over backwards to make sure are taken care of! don't fear the mechanic, the mechanic should fear you and make sure you are treated right.

as for the noise - does it happen inside the cabin or outside at the wheels?

if inside is a light spring/tapping noise at the air bag? we are replacing them for an internal noise.

if outside at the wheels are you sure it's not a rock in the tires scratching the ground as you turn the wheels while stationary?

if outside at the wheels is it a single click that will not happen again if you back off lock a half turn and then hit lock again?
Did you mean replacing the entire steering wheel? I've noticed a similar strange sound coming from the area of the steering wheel also. It usually is most noticeable immediately after cranking, turning the steering wheel, and pulling out from the garage. Not sure quite how to characterize the sound but it is there. Didn't want to go in for service for one seemingly minor annoyance but now they can diagnose this sound along with non working text/email function.

Not all techs, Honda or otherwise, share your work ethic and apparent attention to detail......

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Really? I have been wrenching on cars 25 years and that's the first time I have hears that little nugget. I guess driving my old Jeep on rocks while turning the tires really wears em down..... LMAO!
I suppose there are times when you have to do it, but when you can avoid it it's best to avoid it. Experiment. With your car on a medium rough concrete pavement, turn the wheels without moving the car, then move the car barely off the spots. Look at the spots. Should be black marks where the wheels pivoted. Look at the spots on your tires where they pivoted. Note the condition.

Repeat by turning the wheels only while moving the car. Observe the lack of marks on pavement and tires.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Why not just take the car into the dealer and have them fix the problem under the warrantee?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I suppose there are times when you have to do it, but when you can avoid it it's best to avoid it. Experiment. With your car on a medium rough concrete pavement, turn the wheels without moving the car, then move the car barely off the spots. Look at the spots. Should be black marks where the wheels pivoted. Look at the spots on your tires where they pivoted. Note the condition.

Repeat by turning the wheels only while moving the car. Observe the lack of marks on pavement and tires.
I will never parallel park again!! The humanity of it!

·
Registered
203 Posts

I will never parallel park again!! The humanity of it!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Wow, I get 2 replies 19 minutes apart from the same person:)

Seriously though, I did say there might be times when you do need to turn your wheels without moving the car. Parallel parking might be one of them although I do try to avoid that, for reasons other than tire considerations.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Did you mean replacing the entire steering wheel? I've noticed a similar strange sound coming from the area of the steering wheel also. It usually is most noticeable immediately after cranking, turning the steering wheel, and pulling out from the garage. Not sure quite how to characterize the sound but it is there. Didn't want to go in for service for one seemingly minor annoyance but now they can diagnose this sound along with non working text/email function.

Not all techs, Honda or otherwise, share your work ethic and apparent attention to detail......
no, the steering wheel is just fine. there are two rattles known - an internal rattle inside the air bag and a rattle from the subharness under the airbag.

fyi that subharness rattle will eventually wear through the wiring and cause either the horn to sound all the time or the crazy light show on the dash and radio.

·
Registered
514 Posts
no, the steering wheel is just fine. there are two rattles known - an internal rattle inside the air bag and a rattle from the subharness under the airbag.

fyi that subharness rattle will eventually wear through the wiring and cause either the horn to sound all the time or the crazy light show on the dash and radio.
Is there a tech pub on that?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
well sb 13-029 is ror the rattling subharness/shorting harness. also to center the air bag if it's rattling against the steering wheel.

there is no sb for the internal rattle of the airbag. this would be diagnosed by removing the air bag and checking if the noise is gone. some airbags rattle when you shake them too. either way, let them have a go at fixing the rattle and see how it goes from there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts