Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forums and the problem seems to be an O-Ring, but I have noticed what appears to be a leak (Pictured Below)
I have purchased an O-Ring, but I have no idea where it goes. Then I noticed the service bulletin for an O-Ring replacement only included V-6 Accords and the recall for the power steering hose also only includes V-6 accords. What seems to be the problem? Am I out of luck?

I have a 2004 I-4 Sedan if that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
I strongly suggest that you take your car to the dealer and to talk to them about your high pressure hose leak or better still call American Honda to explain the high pressure hose leak. I won't be surprised if the dealer himself calls American Honda and explains the issue to them. This is a safety issue and it shouldn't matter even if yours is 4 cylinder Accord, IMO. I am sure American Honda will look into it. If there is a Cat under that hose, like in V6, then your case will be even more stronger for consideration. I'm guessing. Nothing wrong in asking and trying.

With regards to the sound, just change the O-ring and see what happens.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Also check the P.S fluid level in the reserve tank and make sure that the level is in between the upper and lower marks, close to the upper mark.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
1) Follow Accord Rules advice and talk to your dealer. Even though only the V6 was covered in the recall, if that hose leaks it can get on hot parts, starting a fire. Your dealer may/may not help you by covering the work for free, but you can ask. As I recall, you bought this off of the original owner....do you have any work receipts? Do you know the dealership the original owner went to? Fix that hose leak immediately.

2) Change the O-ring. It will take you five minutes. Go to this link, and look up "O-ring" under the "MISC." section: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145746

3) Follow these directions:

4) The power steering pump hose's O-ring should be changed regardless if you have a V6 or an I4. It is the quickest, easiest thing to do to see if it solves the noise problem. You are not out of luck, you are empowered.

5) Clean that leak a little bit to see more clearly where the fluid is leaking out of.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do.Thank you.

My problem with replacing the O-Ring is that I have absolutely no idea where the O-ring on the 4 Cylinder is located.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Check a Honda parts website. It'll have a pretty decent exploded view of the PS pump.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Will do.Thank you.

My problem with replacing the O-Ring is that I have absolutely no idea where the O-ring on the 4 Cylinder is located.
Just look at the P.S. reservoir. A hose goes from that reservoir to the P.S. pump. At the end of the hose on the P.S. pump side you will see the inlet joint. Remove that inlet joint (part no.2 on the picture) from the P.S. pump by removing a small bolt (part no.19 on the picture). The O-ring will be sitting on the inlet joint. It is very very simple. You can't miss it. You can't go wrong.

Follow this link. It'll take you to the picture. I think you will need part no.11 (O-ring) on the picture. If you already have the O-ring, then you are probably 5-10 minutes away from fixing your P.S. pump noise.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_P...elID=-1&sectionID=&idAndImageID=11789 1481360

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yes, that is the one. How's the noise now on cold start-ups?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
I've searched the forums and the problem seems to be an O-Ring, but I have noticed what appears to be a leak (Pictured Below)
I have purchased an O-Ring, but I have no idea where it goes. Then I noticed the service bulletin for an O-Ring replacement only included V-6 Accords and the recall for the power steering hose also only includes V-6 accords. What seems to be the problem? Am I out of luck?

I have a 2004 I-4 Sedan if that helps.http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110002&stc=1&d=1387688839
From looking at the picture you posted, it looks like the high pressure hose itself is leaking at the metal fitting. This cannot be repaired with an o'ring. The high pressure hose needs to be replaced. This is not an easy job. The high pressure hose on the V6 engine Accords was recalled, because the fluid could drip onto the exhaust pipe behind the engine, and possibly start a fire. I don't know if the hose on the 4 cylinder engine, like yours, could start a fire or not, but I would definitely have it checked out. Maybe the dealership will give you some goodwill on the hose replacement, but IMO that's unlikely because the 4 cylinder models were not included in the recall. Good luck

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Jlee: I am afraid you removed the wrong hose connection to change the o-ring....the hose connection you removed is from the high pressure hose- which should be replaced anyway as it is leaking. The hose connection for the o-ring we are talking about is a little lower on the power steering assembly than what you removed. Please review the video I linked to, and please review the pdf I linked to. Since you took off one end of the leaky high pressure hose, can you remove the other end and replace the entire hose? Please see photo....

The "YES" there is the connection you want to remove to change the power steering pump's faulty o-ring.
The "NO" there is the high pressure hose connection. That does not have a faulty o-ring, the hose in itself is faulty based on the photo you posted and the correct analysis from other members.

engine bay.jpg

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Anyone have a procedure for removal of the other end of that high pressure power steering hose?

BLCKFLSH: Why is it difficult to remove? Tools, clearance, etc?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Anyone have a procedure for removal of the other end of that high pressure power steering hose?

BLCKFLSH: Why is it difficult to remove? Tools, clearance, etc?
I have a V6 engine, so it may be different. The high pressure hose has the pressure switch on it, which is not a problem. But, It also goes behind the engine, along the frame down below , under the engine mount, to the rack. The part going through the engine mount is solid metal, so you have to unbolt the engine mount, while supporting the engine, to get the metal part of the hose out from under it. Then, you should use a flare-nut wrench to remove the flare-nut connection at the rack, to avoid damaging it. There are also a couple of clamps holding the metal portion to the frame. You have to reach all of this from above, since you can't see anything from below. It's not a cheap hose either, at least $100 or more even for aftermarket hoses. I recommend OEM.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Rickblaine is correct. You removed the wrong hose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts