Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that I had a leak somewhere on my power steering pump. I tried cleaning it up as much as I could but power steering fluid is hard to clean. Anyways, I had my wife start the car and turn the wheel for me. It started immediately leaking from the outlet hose (red arrow). I turn the car off, clean everything up. Undo outlet hose make sure everything looks ok. I tightened it back on. Start it up and try again. This time no leaks from the outlet hose. I turn the car off and slowly from the power steering pump cover(green arrow), a leak formed.

I'm wondering if its worth it to try and redo the seals and o rings in the pump to see if it works. I read some things online where it seemed to work for some people. At the same time, many are just saying to get a new one. Anyone have some experience on the job of redoing the seals and o-rings? Is it difficult or worth it?

Also, I got some powersteering fluid on my belts? Someone said to use brake system cleaner. Is that ok for the belts?

·
Registered
143 Posts
My 99 Accord had a leak where you had the green arrow.
I took it to a repair show for an overhaul.
The shop used a power steering pump seal kit.

First time I picked up the car from the shop, the PS made shrieking noise when turning.
I left the car at the shop for a do-over.
I picked up the car the next day and the PS was quiet.
Apparently the tech put the seal "backward" on the first attempt.

The PS has been leak-free for 2 years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 99 Accord had a leak where you had the green arrow.
I took it to a repair show for an overhaul.
The shop used a power steering pump seal kit.

First time I picked up the car from the shop, the PS made shrieking noise when turning.
I left the car at the shop for a do-over.
I picked up the car the next day and the PS was quiet.
Apparently the tech put the seal "backward" on the first attempt.

The PS has been leak-free for 2 years.
Hmm....do you remember around how much you paid? I'm thinking this may be a job for someone with more experience.

·
Super Moderator
4,701 Posts
I had the same problem with my Accord. I took care of it when I finally decided that adding 1qt of PS fluid a week was too much money being lost on PS fluid, lol.

Anyways, my pump was leaking from the two places yours is currently leaking from. I replaced both and it stopped leaking for the longest time. Recently though, it's developed a small leak from somewhere else in the PS system. Probably another gasket somewhere just like last time though.

Oh, and the O-Ring kit I bought was something like $5. All in all, I think I spent about $15 between new PS fluid and the gasket kit to get it all fixed.

·
AC6DN
1,335 Posts
Mine very slightly leaks on the seam where your green arrow is. I wipe it down, every few months. It been this way for years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine very slightly leaks on the seam where your green arrow is. I wipe it down, every few months. It been this way for years.
After tightening down the bolts to the outlet hose, it seems I only have a small leak at the pump cover (green arrow) now.It doesn't seem to be as bad as before so I'll just let it be for now.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Instead of tightening down the bolts to the "red" high pressure outlet hose, you should get an o-ring from the dealer (.79 cents), lube it with steering pump fluid oil, and install. Chances are this o-ring is either old, not pliable or even brittle, flattened or combination of all of this, and not sealing properly. My daughter's 2001 Accord developed a squeal (sucking in air) due to a deteriorating o-ring and I was able to fix it in this manner.

The "green arrow" leak is more problematic. I have had an identical issue for years and suspect failing internal seals as someone mentioned. For now I do a good wipe down every year and add a couple of tablespoons of fluid. So far this has worked for me for the last eight years. :) If your fluid is leaking a lot you should be aware it is corrosive and may start chewing away things it contacts.

Great picture by the way!

1998 Honda Accord EX 2.3L 4cyl 168,000 miles

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a very well done video on replacing the o-rings and seal here:

It's for a 94-97 Accord, but your ps pump is similar.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I found this video, though it's for a 2000 Accord V6, we can apply it to our situation:

In this video, he had the leak in the same spot (your "green arrow") and didn't remove the pressed seals on the pulley side--he just removed the four bolts on the opposite side and replaced all applicable seals there. Maybe that's all we need. The kit, he said, wasn't that much--$13. I was thinking of doing this myself. This would be much easier on our 6G Honda. I was thinking I may not even have to remove the entire pump off, just take the four bolts off and replace the seals from there. Anyone know if I can do it without having to take the pump off?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts