Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Thank you. I will probably have to do this sooner or later.

·
Registered
488 Posts
John:

First class effort, including clear photos with great depth of field and uniform lighting. You're as good with the camera as with the wrenches!

In rebuilding this pump did you encounter anything that would really convince you to purchase expensive Honda Power Steering Fluid versus an ATF or generic PSF? Such as unusual metallurgy or elastomers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments! Good question, I am not qualified to really know, but it didn't seem like there was anything too exotic in the pump. I guess the one possibility is the slipper seals. If the rubber seal expanded then perhaps it could affect the operation of cam ring? Unlike the other O-Rings which just need to seal a fixed joint, the slipper seal makes a seal on the sliding surface of the cam ring. It does seem that this is one feature of this pump which is different than many (most?) other PS pumps.

As for me, I just stick with the Honda PS fluid. I figure you hardly ever need to change it or add any so given that you might only buy 3 containers of the stuff over the lifetime of the vehicle, why risk it given such occasional use (i.e. it is not like oil where you are changing it routinely and the costs add up).

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
131 Posts
John,

This is massively awesome, thanks.

Im learning that many thing we replace, can be rebuilt relatively easily - starters, alternators, and now power steering pumps. You can even get out ahead of these things and do them (rebuilding) as preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did yours go out? Mine whines alot when I turn. You can really hear it when the radio is off. Not sure if that is normal and I am just now noticing it (I almost never have the radio off) or if it is going bad. Nice write up!!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hawk! No, I did not have any problems or noise from my pump. I was at ~250k miles and just decided to do it preemptively while I had the time (and since it wasn't very expensive to do).

Have you heard about the PS pump noise that is common on some Accord year/models that is due to the inlet O-Ring? Apparently it is an easy fix, just switching to the new and improved inlet O-Ring. Do you think this could be the cause of your noise? I believe there are other threads on this forum that discuss this in detail if you are not already familiar with the issue.

·
2006 I4 MT
1,686 Posts
Nice work! All Data DIY shows a PS pump rebuild as a 1 hour job.

I had an acquaintance with a CRV who had a leaky PS pump. It looked similar to the Accord's version and I considered rebuilding it for them just to gain some experience. Ended up not doing it since I didn't want to spend all that time working on someone else's car for free.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My PS Pump has extreme noise when cold, it goes a BIT quieter when its warm, I read the o ring fix is only for the 6 cylinder versions, does it apply for 4 cylinders? Or would this rebuild be in order for these?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Read a little more. The threads I seen state that it is the same o ring for the 4cyl. It is even easier to replace as the hose is on top instead of the bottom of the housing. Mine is an 04 4cyl. I will try to get to the dealership today to get the oring and fluid. Let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Read a little more. The threads I seen state that it is the same o ring for the 4cyl. It is even easier to replace as the hose is on top instead of the bottom of the housing.
Thanks this is great news, will order the ring.

·
Registered
488 Posts
JohnNH does such nice work, I'd like to see a write up for rebuilding rear brake calipers with the emergency brake system.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Read a little more. The threads I seen state that it is the same o ring for the 4cyl. It is even easier to replace as the hose is on top instead of the bottom of the housing. Mine is an 04 4cyl. I will try to get to the dealership today to get the oring and fluid. Let you know how it goes.
Went out to the dealer and got the O-Ring replacement, no dice, power steering pump still noisy. The car also had a red o-ring so im assuming it was replaced before ;/

·
Registered
21 Posts
JohnNH does such nice work, I'd like to see a write up for rebuilding rear brake calipers with the emergency brake system.
I just did mine, print the parts diagram and follow the rebuild thread on the mustang forum (stangnet I think?). Our calipers are identical to the late 80's ford mustang rear caliper with integrated park brake.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Went out to the dealer and got the O-Ring replacement, no dice, power steering pump still noisy. The car also had a red o-ring so im assuming it was replaced before ;/
Hmm. Not sure then. You may want to start a new thread for this, we are kinda hijacking this thread. Post what you have done already.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Put all new seals and a bearing into my 05 yesterday using the PDF. THANKS A LOT!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem ('06 4-cyl), and replaced the inlet O-Ring as well. It improved it some, but was still noisy and foaming in the reservior. Then I decided to replace the pressure side O-Ring. Noise went away, and so did the foaming.

Excellent step-by-step explanation, by the way!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
You've been well received, John!

Someone took your write up and made a youtube video.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts