Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I moved to a larger place with garage space and thinking about getting me some kind of fun second car. Been at it for a while researching the options.

So, one of the options is a 2000-2001 5 speed base Prelude. Since they are getting to be pretty old, I don't see many on the dealer lots. Tons of them sold privately, but a lot of sellers are not that eager to allow test drives for not-yet-serious buyers so I am in a funny situation. I will find a way to do a test drive eventually, but meanwhile I would like to know your opinion. How fun is it to drive really and honestly? Does it feel seriously underpowered at the low end?

Any any other comments are most welcome.
Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It won a Car and Driver comparo a few years back for the best handling car under 25k.

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
It won a Car and Driver comparo a few years back for the best handling car under 25k.
13 years to be exact in 1997, and it was cars under $30k. :) In 1998 the Prelude SH tied for 3rd with a VIPER for cars >$30k.

Does it feel seriously underpowered at the low end?
It's like any other Honda. You have to run the higher rpm's to make the most of the power band. That being said, my 6th gen suits me just fine for daily driving under 3k rpm's. I pull away from other cars from stop lights just fine. :)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What concerns me more is whether it's going to be a pain in a daily use with it's low low end torque. I used to drive a 03 Civic Si, that thing was extremely slow from the dead stop.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
I would add, the car does feel rather exposed if you been used to today's thick cars. What we once called, great forward visibilty, makes me feel naked (unsafe) now.

I used to be a fan of it (new), but it was always out of my price range.

Honestly, if you consider the 03 Si "slow," then I think you will be disappointed with the Prelude's performance, especially if the 10 year old engine is not as spunky as it once was.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
From memory in automatic form. It felt very much like a tighter Accord, which it sort of was. Yes, it had 10(?) more hp, and about the same weight. So it's not a Hemi Charger, it should have more balls - vs your old Civic.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just test drove one. Loved it. Yes, the low end torque is not great, but this thing revs up so easily it doesn't really matter. The whole car just kinda works.

·
6,322 Posts
I forget what years but some of them were prone to excessive oil consumption. You want to look into that. Also there was a guy on here who lives in the same city as me and his car had a fair amount of rust. Where my 99 Accord coupe 166k miles had none. His was a 2000 with 200k. I did keep mine washed and waxed so maybe that made a difference.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I read they all burn oil, some more, some less. This guy I am dealing with says it's not too bad in this car. The rust is also pretty much non existent, just a bit of surface rust on one of the pillars.
T-Belt/water pump done not too long ago, recent clutch, good tires and brakes. A few dings on the body, a bit of paint peel on the bumpers, but overall good shape with 87.000 miles. It's a 99, same as yours.

·
08 White Honda Accord
293 Posts
My roomate has a 98 prelude with coliovers, intake, exhuast and cams. Vtec is sick, it chirps the tires in second gear and is all around fun. The only problem i have heard about them is the auto trannys **** bad and the auto tensioner on the timing belt needs to be switched to a manual tensioner. Besides that they are great cars i think. Ive tried to pick up one or two for dirt cheap but decided not to. A decent shape one should run about 5k, with others that need tlc going for 3-4k and then the occasional one that needs a new engine or tranny for 1.5k. Hope this helps

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, autos are bad in them, but i kinda don't get an auto in a car like this. 5 speed is quite nice, crisp and smooth. i haven't driven stick for 3 years and hardly ever bogged the engine during the testdrive.

tensioners, yes, looks like #1 on the todo list.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Yes it did but mot the base model. The model I had (Type SH) did. Its a tad slower that base due to added weight (0-60 6.8sec 1/4 [email protected] 95) but it pulled a very hi for fwd .89g's in skidpad. This car would actually snap oversteer like a rwd car if you were't careful...lol. GREAT car!!!

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
I'll admit you can't go wrong with the H22 engines. When I had my '97 Accord, all I used to think about is when I'm gonna have the money to import a H22A7 from Japan. The Prelude isn't a car I'd pass up.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
I almost bought a 2001 Prelude SH before this Accord. I love the way those cars look and drive and their engines are very modifiable and swapable.

Almost bought this one from my friend:

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
If only Honda kept making the Prelude...

Speaking of, I'm disappointed they quit making such performance cars. They've gotten rid of the S2000, Prelude, and pretty soon I bet they'll get rid of the manual transmissions too. And the canceled revival of the NSX was nothing but a tease. Now all their cars are geared towards fuel economy. I guess Honda can't have the best of both worlds. Sad.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yes it did but mot the base model. The model I had (Type SH) did. Its a tad slower that base due to added weight (0-60 6.8sec 1/4 [email protected] 95) but it pulled a very hi for fwd .89g's in skidpad. This car would actually snap oversteer like a rwd car if you were't careful...lol. GREAT car!!!

My test drive of a 2001 SH was very positive. It had a lot going for it: fuel efficient, reliable and (note above) pretty swift for a 4 cylinder coupe.

After almost 10 years, I've forgotten why it's not in my garage.

ez....

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, I got one yesterday. It's a base 5 speed 99 in a decent condition. Too bad it's winter already so I have to store until all the salt is gone from the roads.

Had so much fun driving home last night...That thing can move, sticks to the road, the shifter is great, so on and so forth. The engine is just as happy at 2000 rpm as it is at 4000 and up. Quite amazing.
Can't wait till I can drive it more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts