Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to say I am NO WAY saying run it or it will run better.
I have a 2021 Sport1.5 with around 1400 mile and has pretty consistently got around 24 mpg ( I watch because it was rated at 27 but I do a lot of 10 mile trips ).
But after reading a few folks here saying they runs premium fuel I decided why not, after all I am filling my car up about every 2 or 3 weeks.

Well to my surprise it starting averaging 26 MPG the next day after that fill up. Yea I know its not science and no where near the price difference but thought that was interesting considering I drive on the conservative side 95% of the time.

Car drive the same to me but curious if anybody else have notice anything similar??

I will show my age, I won't get into how much gas was but it was 10 cents between grade. 87 $1.20 89 $1.30 93 $1.40 as an example. Not sure why they started this price gouging.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I will show my age, I won't get into how much gas was but it was 10 cents between grade. 87 $1.20 89 $1.30 93 $1.40 as an example. Not sure why they started this price gouging.
You will get lots of opinions about whether or not premium fuel has any benefits for the Accord. Some will say that they can definately notice a differance, others will say that you are throwing your money down the drain by using premium in an Accord. If you like using premium and think that it gets you better gas mileage and it's worth the extra costs, it certainly not going to hurt anything other than your wallet.

As for gas prices, they really aren't as high as everyone thinks that they are. In reality, gas prices just seem like they are really expensive and have gotten a lot higher due to the significant drop in prices that happened during the pandemic. If you use an inflation calculator and look up the nationwide averages over the past decade, you'd find that other than the huge drop in prices in 2020, gas prices have remained relatively consistent over the last decade when accounting for inflation.

Reactions: DrUncle Ivy

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will get lots of opinions about whether or not premium fuel has any benefits for the Accord. Some will say that they can definately notice a differance, others will say that you are throwing your money down the drain by using premium in an Accord. If you like using premium and think that it gets you better gas mileage and it's worth the extra costs, it certainly not going to hurt anything other than your wallet.

As for gas prices, they really aren't as high as everyone thinks that they are. In reality, gas prices just seem like they are really expensive and have gotten a lot higher due to the significant drop in prices that happened during the pandemic. If you use an inflation calculator and look up the nationwide averages over the past decade, you'd find that other than the huge drop in prices in 2020, gas prices have remained relatively consistent over the last decade when accounting for inflation.
Not arguing over all cost but why premium went from being 20 cents a gallon more to being 60 cents a gallon more. I did buy gas a Costco a lot when I had the Mercedes that required premium, wasn't uncommon to save 30 and 40 cents a gallon.

As far as premium it me not worth the cost but I may try it on my next hwy trip in a couple weeks. Last time I noticed I was getting 37 driving 72 ish but when I got above 80 it dropped to 35. Still crazy good mileage for a car this big but wonder if the 93 will help. Just thinking out loud. :)

·
My Dream car! 13 EX-L
85 Posts
I posted my true fuel mileage over a year ago and someone disagreed. I know this is a forum.
Let me word this in a question. Among many other things, ignition timing has what effect on fuel mileage? What is the real purpose of "knock sensors"? See the picture?
It's all about tuning/timing AND not melting the aluminum pistons.
98% of the time I run 87 octane, ethanol free. Now getting 35.3 MPG. Last fill up was 10% ethanol 93 octane. 36.1 MPG. Same 33 mile route, between 45 and 65 mph.
I hate ethanol.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,239 Posts
My only concern about gas is that it is Top Tier.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Accord EXL 2.0
118 Posts
I just got done with a 2 tankful test of my own running 93 octane premium in my 2.0. As far as I could tell there was absolutely no discernable difference in the way the car performed. Running premium gas is pretty much tantamount to lighting your money on fire.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
I have a 2021 Sport1.5 with around 1400 mile and has pretty consistently got around 24 mpg
Well to my surprise it starting averaging 26 MPG the next day after that fill up.
You're comparing apples...to walnuts.
A car "that consistently averages 24 MPG" as you say, has little to do with a car that shows 26 mpgs the day after you filled it.
You're using a one day comparison test to car that always gets 24 mpg... averaged over a period of time.
That mileage increase can easily be explained by YOUR driving habits, that day.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm in agreement with the folks above who say you are throwing money away by using premium fuel in an Accord. The only difference between premium fuel and regular fuel is that premium fuel has anti-knock additives that actually make the fuel somewhat less volatile. Premium fuel is needed in an engine with higher compression than an Accord's engine because the increased compression can cause pre-ignition if regular gas is used. It is NOT "better" fuel, that is a "treat" for your engine.

As 2Accordz, said, your fuel economy the next day after filling the tank is meaningless. In fact, comparing the fuel economy over an entire tankful to your overall driving average is likewise relatively meaningless. Factors such as ambient air temperature, driving speed, wind resistance, elevation changes, and so on, ALL effect your fuel economy.

Don't put premium gas in a car that is designed to use regular.

- Jack

·
Registered
129 Posts
I still love how a supposed 252hp at the crank car is putting 237hp to the wheels on a dyno. All so Acura can save some face.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I've only run a handful of tanks with 93 octane with no consistent difference in efficiency. orange points are gas price with 93 standing out above the series. blue are MPG calculated at the pump. I've circled the relevant data points to indicate tanks filled AFTER burning 93 octane (hence why the circled points above are off key from the ones below).

For science, I may be willing to go through 5-6 consecutive tanks of 93, but the problem with that is it'll take 5-6 weeks to do it, after which we'll be heading into the winter fuel mix around October and that throws everything off

Reactions: Miker

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're comparing apples...to walnuts.
A car "that consistently averages 24 MPG" as you say, has little to do with a car that shows 26 mpgs the day after you filled it.
You're using a one day comparison test to car that always gets 24 mpg... averaged over a period of time.
That mileage increase can easily be explained by YOUR driving habits, that day.
Maybe I should clarify it wasn't an hour later it was 2 days later after 3 or 4 short trips.
Just to prove me wrong please go fill your cars up with both and post results

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Maybe I should clarify it wasn't an hour later it was 2 days later after 3 or 4 short trips.
Just to prove me wrong please go fill your cars up with both and post results
Three to four "short trips" just reinforces my point, not yours.
(@easymike has the data, long term)

Reactions: meowcat

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I just go with good 87 gas.

I pump 91 when I want to feel good about myself though.

Reactions: AccordPirate04

·
Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T
125 Posts
I still love how a supposed 252hp at the crank car is putting 237hp to the wheels on a dyno. All so Acura can save some face.
A tune will fix that :)

Reactions: Guest

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if I didn’t know better I would think you guys have stock on 87 octane gas 😎 I just made an observation and even stated i stated I wasn’t suggesting it. Glad I gave y’all something to attack, have a blessed day.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Haha, I was actually kidding. The clip is kinda funny though.
if I didn’t know better I would think you guys have stock on 87 octane gas 😎 I just made an observation and even stated i stated I wasn’t suggesting it. Glad I gave y’all something to attack, have a blessed day.
I was kidding. No harm intended. My point was that if there’s any gains, they’re really negligible with the 10th gen. anyways.

The only way it makes sense to pump 91 is if you’ve tuned your car. Otherwise, it’s not really necessary.

Reactions: markayash

·
Rollin in FL
1,157 Posts
First off I want to say I am NO WAY saying run it or it will run better.
I have a 2021 Sport1.5 with around 1400 mile and has pretty consistently got around 24 mpg ( I watch because it was rated at 27 but I do a lot of 10 mile trips ).
But after reading a few folks here saying they runs premium fuel I decided why not, after all I am filling my car up about every 2 or 3 weeks.

Well to my surprise it starting averaging 26 MPG the next day after that fill up. Yea I know its not science and no where near the price difference but thought that was interesting considering I drive on the conservative side 95% of the time.

Car drive the same to me but curious if anybody else have notice anything similar??

Price gouging, lol. I run 87 (required) on my MDX where 93 (91 for 'em west coast) is recommended. I wouldn't spend the money for maybe 6 or 7 more ponies compared to the stock 87 octane tune. Running 87 for me, I still got 31+ MPGs on the J35. There's not that many benefits honestly for running a higher fuel rating if the vehicle can take a lower rating. Some people over at the MDX forums did a comparison between 87 and 93 and said there isn't much difference other than the amount of savings.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts