Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
$2.79 a gallon vs $3.50 a gallon. I think I’ll stick to regular since the 2.0 spends more time at the pump than the 1.5.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Haha, I was actually kidding. The clip is kinda funny though.

I was kidding. No harm intended. My point was that if there’s any gains, they’re really negligible with the 10th gen. anyways.

The only way it makes sense to pump 91 is if you’ve tuned your car. Otherwise, it’s not really necessary.
Lol cool, just drives me nuts when somebody does something and others who are 3000 miles apart basically tell them they are wrong. Why in the world would I post that if it didn’t happen. I was a mechanic in my younger life and an now an engineer but still work on my cars so get averages and how cars work. Just post a weird observation. I wasn’t expecting it

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Price gouging, lol. I run 87 (required) on my MDX where 93 (91 for 'em west coast) is recommended. I wouldn't spend the money for maybe 6 or 7 more ponies compared to the stock 87 octane tune. Running 87 for me, I still got 31+ MPGs on the J35. There's not that many benefits honestly for running a higher fuel rating if the vehicle can take a lower rating. Some people over at the MDX forums did a comparison between 87 and 93 and said there isn't much difference other than the amount of savings.
Ask your self why gas stations sell reg for maybe 10 cents a gallon more then a sams or Costco but premium is usually 40 cents higher. I think gas stations jack the price up to take advantage of the folks that think they need it and probably don’t even check pricing :)
All good I won’t burn premium for an extra 1 mpg just posting what I noticed

·
Rollin in FL
1,154 Posts
Ask your self why gas stations sell reg for maybe 10 cents a gallon more then a sams or Costco but premium is usually 40 cents higher. I think gas stations jack the price up to take advantage of the folks that think they need it and probably don’t even check pricing :)
I actually do. I think everytime whenever my 19 gal fuel tank is near empty: how much do I want to save. I have a habit of spending ~$400 a month on fuel. And Costco has been at least a good $0.20 or more cheaper compared to the cheapest gas price in the area. And I actually compare the prices of the Costcos too, just to find the cheapest 87 fuel sold by Costco.

I used to fill up at Shell and Chevron before, but again, my bank account is taking a hit on fuel for only my vehicle. But now, if I'm not near a Costco or if I'm out of cash, my go to is Wawa since it accepts my CC (usually it is the cheapest that isn't club membership related).

But this year alone would have been an expensive year overall in terms of fuel for me, if I had to commute between Miami and Orlando in Jan to April and Sept to Dec. I've surpassed $50 on 87 octane twice. Hence, why I did mention the messy politics.

And actually, there are many factors into gas prices. The cost per barrel, cost to operate a gas station, transportation cost, gas tax, competition, etc. Also, remember, the US is a capitalist society, where its a free market.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: markayash

·
...and Pearl was her name...
2020 Accord Hybrid Touring pearl white
117 Posts
My point is if you’re concerned about mpg’s, why aren’t you in a HAH? Don’t change your driving habits, change your drive train!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My point is if you’re concerned about mpg’s, why aren’t you in a HAH? Don’t change your driving habits, change your drive train!
I debated a hybrid and was told by several folks because most of my mileage is hey between Atlanta and South Carolina running 80 plus mpg the gas engine would probably do as good if not better.
Again I am not concerned with gas mileage just noted I thought that was interesting. I plan on going back to 87 and back to see if it follows the pattern. luckily I am remote 90% of the time so unless I am going to SC a tank last me 3 weeks :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Initially: I could say I get good gas mileage if I use ACC a lot with 93 from Shell. If I used my foot I don't. The deal is that it may not be a horsepower gain, but it is a great deal more responsive and I end up going too fast (out of the efficiency zone) very easily.

Of course I tuned the car now, and get better gas mileage than ever. It's tuned to 93, but I regularly get upper 30s in MPG, I don't remember even getting to 30 at all without the tune and using 93. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Yep. The difference at Costco isn’t as great. $.40 sounds about the typical difference there. I believe I’ve seen as low as $.30. If you’re getting it at Costco, go for it anytime you like and don’t worry about it. The price delta vs. regular @$4-5 is like the price of a happy meal anyways.

Most other places probably just jack them up and see how many suckers are willing to pay up then adjust accordingly. 😂

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
if I didn’t know better I would think you guys have stock on 87 octane gas 😎 I just made an observation and even stated i stated I wasn’t suggesting it. Glad I gave y’all something to attack, have a blessed day.
No you didn't.
You made a statement and presented it as a fact.
An observation is: "Hey, did you ever notice the moon appears bigger at certain times of the year?"
You said " just to prove me wrong......"..

The other posters did.
My days are always blessed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My only concern about gas is that it is Top Tier.
BINGO

TOP TIER FUEL.

Its what i ran in all my GTIs and its far and away the best detergent gas you can get.

Costco, Sunoco or Mobil for me... no exceptions

Truth be told, I feel like the car runs better on 87 vs 93

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Costco, Sunoco or Mobil for me... no exceptions
When did Sunoco get added to the list? Now I have to re-evaluate my life choices. For me, because of where the stations are situated, it's 95% Shell, 4.x% Costco and the rest are a handful of Valero and Cumberland Farms (not TT as far as I know) when I'm in a bind. I'm a creature of habit and I get bent out of shape when I can't fill at the exact same Shell pump with the car tilted at the same angle. Swapping gas stations or pumps screws up my computer vs pump calculation numbers.

I wouldn't take it too personally, everyone here is pretty defensive when it comes to questioning something we feel confident about. You've been here a while, but I guess you haven't been on the business end of a bad morning with no coffee. You asked a question and made an observation, but those of us that got snippy only saw the 35th post making the same claim.

You have me interested enough that I'm currently evaluating my options for how to best go about testing this. I'm thinking I'll switch fuel every 2 tanks so that seasonal differences get absorbed into the data. I'll try to have the patience to finish out the year with this strategy.

4 issues that will complicate my numbers:

When switching to 93, I get the feeling that the car has more pep, and my foot gets a little heavier in response, so if I can keep this up for 2-3 months, I'll eventually get used to it and drive a little more consistently.

Winter fuel fix shows up around October, so that'll probably change everything.

Temperature changes are very gradual until mid November, after which there's a sharp drop, but I garage my car, so my morning starts are always above 40F all winter long

I want new tires before the first snow, so EVERYTHING goes out the window once that happens, but this is why I'm going to stick with 2 tanks 87, 2 tanks 93 and repeat so essentially I'll be getting numbers month by month.

Reactions: markayash

·
Registered
448 Posts
Most Honda's (and vehicles from other non luxury brands) are designed to run on any fuel with an octane rating of 87 or higher so it makes sense that you can't really tell a difference. The ECU makes sure of that.

That being said, I'm not convinced premium gas does nothing. I don't think it makes a difference 99% of the time for most drivers but that doesn't mean it doesn't or can't make any difference at all. The OM for my Pilot states that premium/91 is recommended when towing at high altitude, high temps or steep grades. It wouldn't say that if there wasn't a performance gain of some sort....

Additives and detergents are a whole 'nother thing. Premium fuels at least claim to use more detergents that can keep the engine cleaner but it's hard to quantify any performance or maintenance gains from that.

Use what's recommended and be happy. Use better than what's recommended and also be happy.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Premium fuels at least claim to use more detergents...
Supposedly Shell V-Power has 5x more detergents than their regular fuel, or maybe compared to a hand picked competitor. I do not remember where I saw this but I choose to believe it. Doesn't matter with DI motors though since our intake system gets no benefit from these detergents except for what recycles from the PCV system.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Supposedly Shell V-Power has 5x more detergents than their regular fuel
So I try to stick to V-power when I can but I don't broadcast it for fear of being shamed for wasting my money lol. I've done as much research as I can and the water is still kinda muddy. I did watch a (relatively non-scientific) video where two similar bolts from a lawnmower engine were soaked in gas, one in cheap gas and the other in V-Power. The jar of V-power was more cloudy and dark from having dissolved grease and dirt off of the bolt.

Like you said though, doesn't help the intake. Fortunately that doesn't seem to really effect the longevity of k24s at least....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
When did Sunoco get added to the list? Now I have to re-evaluate my life choices. For me, because of where the stations are situated, it's 95% Shell, 4.x% Costco and the rest are a handful of Valero and Cumberland Farms (not TT as far as I know) when I'm in a bind. I'm a creature of habit and I get bent out of shape when I can't fill at the exact same Shell pump with the car tilted at the same angle. Swapping gas stations or pumps screws up my computer vs pump calculation numbers.

I wouldn't take it too personally, everyone here is pretty defensive when it comes to questioning something we feel confident about. You've been here a while, but I guess you haven't been on the business end of a bad morning with no coffee. You asked a question and made an observation, but those of us that got snippy only saw the 35th post making the same claim.

You have me interested enough that I'm currently evaluating my options for how to best go about testing this. I'm thinking I'll switch fuel every 2 tanks so that seasonal differences get absorbed into the data. I'll try to have the patience to finish out the year with this strategy.

4 issues that will complicate my numbers:

When switching to 93, I get the feeling that the car has more pep, and my foot gets a little heavier in response, so if I can keep this up for 2-3 months, I'll eventually get used to it and drive a little more consistently.

Winter fuel fix shows up around October, so that'll probably change everything.

Temperature changes are very gradual until mid November, after which there's a sharp drop, but I garage my car, so my morning starts are always above 40F all winter long

I want new tires before the first snow, so EVERYTHING goes out the window once that happens, but this is why I'm going to stick with 2 tanks 87, 2 tanks 93 and repeat so essentially I'll be getting numbers month by month.
Thanks for a normal response :) I wasn't trying to post it as fact just thought it was interesting.
I didn't notice in my 97 CIvic a drop in Mileage when winter grade came out for sure, if i remember was around 2 MPG and I am in Atlanta.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Most Honda's (and vehicles from other non luxury brands) are designed to run on any fuel with an octane rating of 87 or higher so it makes sense that you can't really tell a difference. The ECU makes sure of that.

That being said, I'm not convinced premium gas does nothing. I don't think it makes a difference 99% of the time for most drivers but that doesn't mean it doesn't or can't make any difference at all. The OM for my Pilot states that premium/91 is recommended when towing at high altitude, high temps or steep grades. It wouldn't say that if there wasn't a performance gain of some sort....

Additives and detergents are a whole 'nother thing. Premium fuels at least claim to use more detergents that can keep the engine cleaner but it's hard to quantify any performance or maintenance gains from that.

Use what's recommended and be happy. Use better than what's recommended and also be happy.
Buddy has a 2021 GT mustang and it runs on 87 Octane. he will tell you it's runs a LOT better on 93 and only buys 93 but says the owners manuals says 87 is fine.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So I try to stick to V-power when I can but I don't broadcast it for fear of being shamed for wasting my money lol. I've done as much research as I can and the water is still kinda muddy. I did watch a (relatively non-scientific) video where two similar bolts from a lawnmower engine were soaked in gas, one in cheap gas and the other in V-Power. The jar of V-power was more cloudy and dark from having dissolved grease and dirt off of the bolt.

Like you said though, doesn't help the intake. Fortunately that doesn't seem to really effect the longevity of k24s at least....
2 bolts, your a bozo no way that's stupid that's not science :) JK just trying to fit in

I have always liked shell gas and to me smells more "oily" if that's a word. We just don't have many Shell stations around here

·
Registered
129 Posts
The people who actually took their car (2.0t from the videos I saw) to a dyno with different grades of gas actually saw a horsepower increase (though negligible) when using premium. So the "difference" is there but is it worth the extra money per gallon to see as few as 5-6 horsepower with a fairly identical powerband? I have a feeling most Accord drivers would say no, it's not worth the extra expense, just get me from A to B. But of course some of us will disagree. As some already stated, gas quality of the distributor is much much more of a factor than the octane level.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts