Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, ok here is the deal. I am getting an exl v6 soon. I plan on upgrading the factory stereo. Here is my plan. Money is limited.....very limited. I already have a 12" Sony sub (I know it's not high end), a boston acoustics 4 channel amp (channel 3&4 bridged for the sub). An lc7i loc. that is what I have right now.
Now for what I want to do. I want to change the front speakers and rear deck speakers. The car has the premium system so it has an external amp. I was thinking of just swapping out the front and rears without mapping them. I am trying to not purchase a mono amp at this time. Does the factory amp have enough guts to push Polk components for the front? Does anyone recommend the Polk speakers? I heard that they sound the same or worse that the factory speakers? Any comments? Any different opinions on which speakers to use in the car. My goal is to stay around the $150 mark for the front speakers. I wish I could drop $200 but not right now.
Alright guys....fire away!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would say wait until you get the car first. The audio in my new EXL V6 sounds better than what has be described in this forum.

I will say I plan to upgrade it though but what I have now will hold me over cause I want wheels first. Just got to find a set.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Honestly, you don't need to change the components.

I just put a 10" in the trunk with a mono amp and it compliments the system wonderfully. If money is at all limited, don't worry about speakers. I needed to buy absolutely everything and I did my sub upgrade for about 200.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bxm, did you just tap off the rear sub?

·
Registered
608 Posts
a) On a budget completely eliminate the purchase of rear speaker replacements. Fade them out. Even those on high budgets shy away due to imaging issues.

b) I would suggest the JBL MS-62C for $199. Simply replacing the tweeters made a ten-fold difference in audio quality improvement. Keeping the stock door woofer ensures there's sufficient power from the stock amp while retaining good midbass performance. The entire tweeter swap can take you less than 30 minutes if you've done any kind of speaker install before.

c) Allocate budget to sound proofing materials

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So does anybody know the impedance of the stockers up front?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts