Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
This weekend me and my girlfriend will be traveling to Tennessee, a 900 mile round trip adventure. I've kept my car off for 5 days now.. trying to put as little miles on it as I can before we leave Friday. I was wondering.. is there anything I can/should do before I leave to prep my car for the long journey?
I don't wanna put a lot of money into the prep.. just any small things?
This is just a side note, I will be installing Bosch windshield wipers Thursday or Friday before I leave!
But anything else?
Thanks,
ChipperF!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What PSI should our tires be at?

·
Legitimate hack
1,673 Posts
Also check your fluids and top off if necessary. If you're close to an oil change, be it engine or tranny, I'd suggest taking care of that as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not car related, but get your rest and drive carefully! Pull over if you get sleepy! :thmsup:

·
No longer active
702 Posts
Before every long trip, I do the following:
1) Check my tire pressures, especially the spare. Spare tires are almost always under-inflated because they sit for so long. Nothing ****s more than getting a flat, popping on the spare, and then getting a flat spare a few miles later. If you put a spare tire on, you should make sure the pressure is good and if it is low, head to your nearest service station to fill it.
2) Check the fluids. If they are low, top them off.
3) When was your last oil change? Is it almost time? Get it done early. Is your car due for a transmission fluid change? Get it done. Are your brakes good? If you think they might need to be changed, take it to a shop and see if they need to be changed or serviced.
4) Make sure your wiper blades are still good. If they are due for a change soon, do it before your trip.
5) Wash your car before your trip. A clean car is a slippery car - maximize your fuel economy so you have to fill up less.
6) Check to make sure your treads are good on your tires. Don't put off getting new tires if you plan on driving a few hundred miles. Bald tires can lead to hydroplaning and loss of control.
I think that's my list. It also helps to review the route/make sure your GPS is going to get you all the way there without routing you out of the way. I took a 5 year old GPS to Florida, which was fine until I went looking for a Subway in an area that was recently redeveloped. If I had followed the GPS to a T, I would have ended up in some guy horse farm. Thankfully, my wife (girlfriend at the time) paid attention and was able to get me back to the highway! ;-)
Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I wouldn't top off the brake fluid, unless its close or below the "low" mark. But if your brake fluid is that low, then maybe you have a more serious issue like a leak.

Always check tire pressure when the tires are cold or haven't been driven for an extended period of time. Heat builds pressure in the tires and will give you an incorrect reading.

I will add to checking your tires tread, look at the condition of the tire on the inside of the tire (turn your wheels out if you wish). Many people never do. Its unlikely your tires are in such a bad shape, but I've seen it on a company vehicle; some weird white markings and bumpy stitching, even though the tread and outer side looked normal. The sad part is, even though I reported it, a small group of people ended up taking it across state for onsite work; they had a BLOW OUT and lost control, but nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Can't hurt to throw some extra fluids in the trunk as well for that just incase scenario. I feel the insurance outweights the few extra lbs of weight. And all the above mentioned.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Clean your windows and windshield. Nothing ****s more than a dirty windshield when traveling.

Also make sure you have a first aid kit, a blanket, a flashlight and some water.

Make sure you have tools required to change a wheel if you get a flat (pair of gloves is always nice, knee pads :) ).

If you have road side emergency service, make sure you have your card on you and the phone number to call for areas where you're traveling to.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Clean your windows and windshield. Nothing ****s more than a dirty windshield when traveling.

Also make sure you have a first aid kit, a blanket, a flashlight and some water.

Make sure you have tools required to change a wheel if you get a flat (pair of gloves is always nice, knee pads :) ).

If you have road side emergency service, make sure you have your card on you and the phone number to call for areas where you're traveling to.
++++++++1 flash light can ALWAYS come in handy also a car cellphone charger and some basic tools like a standard set of sockets and wrenches just in case. I carry all these things for a 200 mile trip I couldnt imagine a 900 mile trip.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Tape up your car with painter's tape! Haha, just kidding, maybe find some road wrap or something to protect against the bugs and grime.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I was just going to suggest that!

If I were you, I'd tape up the entire bumper, hood, and front half of each fender, and the mirrors. Roof up to the sunroof and side sills, sidesbof rear bumper if you've got some extra.

You might not actually need all that, but that's where I got all my rock chips. This from a car that's had a bug deflector all its life.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Oh, and clean your interior! Proper vaccuum, get rid of any stains, dust, smells, etc. You're sitting in the car for 900 miles, with your girlfriend. That should be motivation enough :thmsup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Tape up your car with painter's tape! Haha, just kidding, maybe find some road wrap or something to protect against the bugs and grime.
I totally forgot about that. I tape the front bumper, the beginning of the hood, and the side mirrors. It's a must do for me on long trips, especially during the summer. It's a pain in the ass, but it has shielded the car from many rocks and thousands of bugs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I run 1000 miles a week for my job in my '07. If you've been keeping up on routine maintenance, you're good. Check fluids and pressures. If you're due for a tire rotate/balance, do it. Otherwise clean/detail it and head out. Oh yeah - AAA is your friend if something major happens.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Holy hell, how much mileage on it now?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wait.. what kinda tape would you use?
And where can you buy it?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts