Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I have a 2007 Accord Coupe V6 AT. I am preparing to do a timing belt change. I have purchased the complete kit, (TB, idler, hydraulic tensioner, pulley tensioner, W/P)...all factory, Honda parts.

Today, I noticed that there is a service bulletin relevant to all 05-07 Accord V6's (as well as a number of other Honda vehicles):

"TSB 08-045 Chirp From the Timing Belt Area". Link to TSB is here.

Long story short, the TB idler pulley mounting surface on the oil pump is tilted, which can cause the TB to squeal around the crank gear. The fix is to install a kit that includes a TB, idler pulley shim and new crank gear - which would not be hard to do once the timing components are removed. P/N for my application is 04148-RCA-306.

There are few threads on this on DA and HT, but not very many and they aren't particularly definitive. I find it curious because all 05-07 V6 models will have these same oil pumps, but the phenomenon doesn't appear that pervasive.

My car does not have this sound, but I am concerned that it may develop with my new TB kit either right away or down the road. I really don't feel like doing this job a second time, on the other hand this shim kit is $160.00, and will give me a second timing belt that I won't need.

Is there anyone here that has experienced this issue, installed this shim kit, or who has related technical experience to indicate whether it would make sense to install it even if the car does not presently have the issue?

Cheers!

UPDATE: You can buy only the shim, without the TB and cam gear - P/N for shim alone is 14559-RCA-305 and is applicable to all vehicles covered under the TSB. Cost is about $15.00.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I did the timing belt on the 03 and didnt use a shim kit. This is the first post out of many related to timing belts I've come across, that mentions this kit

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have made it more clear in my OP - it is for 05-07's only. The 03-04's would not need the kit. I'm wondering if we might see more of these issues since there will be a number of 05-07 V6 owners whose cars are now coming up to needing the TB service.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Hello everyone.

I have a 2007 Accord Coupe V6 AT. I am preparing to do a timing belt change. I have purchased the complete kit, (TB, idler, hydraulic tensioner, pulley tensioner, W/P)...all factory, Honda parts.

Today, I noticed that there is a service bulletin relevant to all 05-07 Accord V6's:

"TSB 08-045 Chirp From the Timing Belt Area".

Long story short, the TB idler pulley mounting surface on the oil pump is tilted, which can cause the TB to squeal around the crank gear. The fix is to install a kit that includes a TB, shim and new crank gear, which would not be hard to do once the timing components are removed. P/N for my application is 04148-RCA-306.

There are few threads on this on DA and HT, but not very many and they aren't particularly definitive. I find it curious because all 05-07 V6 models will have these same oil pumps, but the phenomenon doesn't appear that pervasive.

My car does not have this sound, but I am concerned that it may develop with the new kit either right away or down the road. I really don't feel like doing this job a second time, on the other hand this shim kit is $160.00, and will give me a second timing belt that I won't need.

Is there anyone here that has experienced this issue, installed this shim kit, or who has related technical experience to indicate whether it would make sense to install it even if the car does not presently have the issue?

Cheers!
I am EXTREME over-due for TB and would have heavy interest in where you got your materials for this heavy ordeal. Also, I was not aware of this TB chirp TSB, can anyone elaborate on it. The only TSB I am aware of was the Power Steering TSB due to High Heat in the bay. :paranoid:

In other, unrelated news, I see your location is in Area 51. Have you seen any UFOs and are you an alien yourself? lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't install it on my 2005. I have about 15K miles on the new timing belt parts and no squeak. When I had it apart, I didn’t see any indication of parts rubbing to create any noise. I used all Honda parts, which I regret. Should have just got the Aisin kit for the half the price. Every part was either Aisin or Koyo.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I did my TB 2 years ago. Then it started to shirp...

Had to order the kit, then redo the TB job.

When the pulley was dismounted, I could see where it touched the protector...

As far as I'm concerned, you should do it now instead of risking redoing the same job again in some time...

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did my TB 2 years ago. Then it started to shirp...

Had to order the kit, then redo the TB job.

When the pulley was dismounted, I could see where it touched the protector...

As far as I'm concerned, you should do it now instead of risking redoing the same job again in some time...
Honestly - even if you are the only person who has experienced this issue, then that would seem to be a compelling motive to just go ahead and put the shim kit in. Ugh.

While it appears to be cheaper to get a new oil pump, the removal and install is much more complicated, and there's no guarantee that Aisin or Yamada (or whoever it is) has actually fixed the machining angle.

The Honda stealer locally had indicated they have sold a few of those shim kits, but also said "If it's not doing it now, don't worry about it". I can't say I found the argument convincing. While I am replacing it all with OE parts, subtle variations occurring during the parts' manufacturing process might just be enough to send tweety into an encore.

As annoying as this is, I guess it's better that I learned of this issue now, rather than once I put it all in. Plus, I guess I'm still much further ahead doing it myself...the stealership wanted nearly $1600 to do it, including the shim.:furious:

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
If you install the shim, on a pump that is machined correctly, wouldn't that make the angle off in the opposite direction? There has to be a way to check the oil pump's surface, to see if it needs the shim or not. I think if your engine has gone 100k miles, and doesn't make the noise, you don't need the shim kit. Seems to me, adding the shim where it isn't needed, could create a problem where there was none.

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you install the shim, on a pump that is machined correctly, wouldn't that make the angle off in the opposite direction? There has to be a way to check the oil pump's surface, to see if it needs the shim or not. I think if your engine has gone 100k miles, and doesn't make the noise, you don't need the shim kit. Seems to me, adding the shim where it isn't needed, could create a problem where there was none.
I've got about 35k. In your scenario though, I would guess you'd be right - though I would presume that would make the TSB applicable to certain VINs (they would not alter the manufacturing specs midway to correct a machining issue and keep the same P/N). This TSB is for all VIN's re 05-07 V6's- and actually in cross checking with Acura TSB 08-031 - in all vehicles which use oil pump 15100-RCA-A03. Even if that scenario happened, I could remove the shim without redoing the entire TB job.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I started hearing the chirping after I replaced the TB & WP @ 102k. I'll install the shim the next time I do the TB if it doesn't get too loud before then.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
So there is no question, that the machined surface is off on your engine? But, only some timing belts make the noise, and yours isn't one of them? I would still try to check all the pulley's alignment before assembling everything. Do they make alignment tools for timing belt pulleys, like they do for serpentine belt pulleys (just wondering)?

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So there is no question, that the machined surface is off on your engine? But, only some timing belts make the noise, and yours isn't one of them? I would still try to check all the pulley's alignment before assembling everything. Do they make alignment tools for timing belt pulleys, like they do for serpentine belt pulleys (just wondering)?
Well, all the information I have indicates that all the oil pumps with that P/N are affected. To make it nice and confusing though, it does seem like only some cars subject to the TSB are affected by the noise. Luck of the draw, I suppose. I've gone and bought the shim despite having no issue; with some of the testimony here and elsewhere it's just not worth the chance that I'll have to re-open it all again down the road. Beyond that, I don't have a concern with the other pulleys - and I'm not sure if they make the TBP tool you are wondering about.

For others that are reading this - if it is making the noise, I would buy the full kit as this means that the belt has been rubbing against the crank gear potentially wearing down both.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,367 Posts
Hello everyone.

Today, I noticed that there is a service bulletin relevant to all 05-07 Accord V6's (as well as a number of other Honda vehicles):

"TSB 08-045 Chirp From the Timing Belt Area". Link to TSB is here.

Long story short, the TB idler pulley mounting surface on the oil pump is tilted, which can cause the TB to squeal around the crank gear. The fix is to install a kit that includes a TB, idler pulley shim and new crank gear - which would not be hard to do once the timing components are removed. P/N for my application is 04148-RCA-306.

My car does not have this sound, but I am concerned that it may develop with my new TB kit either right away or down the road. I really don't feel like doing this job a second time, on the other hand this shim kit is $160.00, and will give me a second timing belt that I won't need.

Cheers!

UPDATE: You can buy only the shim, without the TB and cam gear - P/N for shim alone is 14559-RCA-305 and is applicable to all vehicles covered under the TSB. Cost is about $15.00.
Did you "shim" it 4 years ago?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts