Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 40 of 8438 Posts

· Registered
2,762 Posts
This is the max price I'd pay for a EX-L Navi sedan.....

MSRP = $30,785 ($29,995 + $790 destination)

(supposed) Invoice = $28,223 ($27,433 + $790 destination)

$27,433 (invoice)
- $923.55 (3% holdback from MSRP of $30,785)
+ $600 (fair profit *)
+ $790 (destination)

but goal would be at least $500 under that... so $27,399.45 + TTL or lower

* Truthfully, they'll be making more than $600 profit
Great price guide! :thmsup: Although I think it'd be hard to get this kind of pricing at least initially in the first few months of its release.

The local Honda dealer I went to test drive at is selling (or at least advertising, I haven't asked) their the new Accord at:
MSRP + about $700 worth of add-ons. Granted, it shouldn't be hard to ask them to remove the add-ons at all. You'd probably have a hard time getting it at this price or much below the MSRP... at least for the first few months at least imho. This Honda dealer was located at a fiercely competitive location, too! There were also Kia, Toyota, Nissan, Volvo and Lexus dealers located nearby within 1 mile of radius.

· HFP
69 Posts
Bought my Wife the 13 Accord sedan 2 days ago. Black on Black EX-L V4. Was roughly $32k and change with taxes(NY). Don't remember the exact amount. There wasn't much room for negotiating since its a brand new car.

· Registered
588 Posts
This is the max price I'd pay for a EX-L Navi sedan.....

MSRP = $30,785 ($29,995 + $790 destination)

(supposed) Invoice = $28,223 ($27,433 + $790 destination)

$27,433 (invoice)
- $923.55 (3% holdback from MSRP of $30,785)
+ $600 (fair profit *)
+ $790 (destination)

but goal would be at least $500 under that... so $27,399.45 + TTL or lower

cool. where did you get the 3% holdback figure from?

· ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
13,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
cool. where did you get the 3% holdback figure from?
It's what I've always computed when buying a car or helping others. But I'll let Edmunds explain...

What Are Holdbacks For?

Dealerships must have an inventory on hand so that consumers can browse and ultimately select a vehicle. Dealerships must pay for this inventory when it is obtained from the manufacturer, and the amount the dealer pays is the price reflected on the invoice from the manufacturer to the dealer, the so-called "invoice price."

Now the twist: with the introduction of holdbacks some years ago, most manufacturers inflated the invoice prices for every vehicle by a predetermined amount (2-3% of MSRP is typical). The dealer pays that inflated amount when it buys the car from the manufacturer. But later, at predetermined times (usually quarterly), the manufacturer reimburses the dealer for that excess amount. This is the "holdback," so named because funds are "held back" by the manufacturer and released only some time after the vehicle is invoiced to the dealership.

Why the sleight-of-hand you might ask? Because holdbacks can benefit dealers in three ways:

1) Dealerships borrow money to finance cars based on an invoiced amount that includes the holdback. So the higher the invoiced amount, the more the dealership can borrow from its lender.

2) Inflating the dealership's "cost" can have the effect of increasing profit, since sales personnel are paid commissions based on the "gross profit" of each sale. Holdbacks have the effect of lowering the gross profit and thus the sales commissions.

3) Holdbacks enable dealerships to advertise "invoice price" sales and sell their vehicles at or near invoice and still make hundreds of dollars on the transaction.
Point #3 illustrates my previous statement:

· No Gears, Got CVT :)
675 Posts
2013 4Dr 4Cyl CVT Accord EX-L with Navi.
Car is in transit from Honda and should arrive in about 2 weeks.

MSRP: $30,785.
Factory Invoice $28,223.
TureCar target price: $28,923. (Boston area on 10/01/2012)
Cost me: $27,674 + $239 Doc fee, Plus MA state Tax (6.25%), Title, and License.

All prices include the $790 Destination Fees

· Registered
2 Posts

Factory Invoice $28,223.

Is this from weymouth honda? They seem to have lowest prices so far.

675 Posts
Is this from weymouth honda? They seem to have lowest prices so far.
Yes from Weymouth Honda. I found 3 dealers in the Boston area which gave very competitive internet quotes. Cambridge Honda and Honda Cars of Boston were the other two. Weymouth had the cheapest but the other two were also competitive. Their may be more, I stated shopping on 9/24, a week ago.

One of the things I like about Weymouth is they read and answer my emails. Some other dealers sent back stranded replies (most likely computer generated).

Some dealers gave a few hundred dollars off and promoted how great there dealership is. Two used the fact they give you a full tank of gas which makes their dealership better. Honda requires a full tank of gas.

Some were around MSRP or around $800 off and said they will mach other dealers or said they have a "Price Guaranty". That means to me that they will charge as much as they can unless you catch them. I did not play that game. Weymouth gave me a good price, why should a different dealer get my business when they tried to overcharge me.

· Registered
271 Posts
Dealership I went to didn't budge on their sticker price. Most of the deals I got from them was from my trade in when I traded my '12 EX-L V6. They only had just 6 '13s in the lot seeing that the first ones just came in the following week.

675 Posts
Dealership I went to didn't budge on their sticker price. Most of the deals I got from them was from my trade in when I traded my '12 EX-L V6. They only had just 6 '13s in the lot seeing that the first ones just came in the following week.
Honda is already building over 6000 Accord/week and the slow car buying season is coming. That is over 300,000 Accords a year, more then they ever sold in the US. Some dealers hide cars in off site lots.

I did my shopping over the internet.
I went to one dealer to test drive, told him I was not ready yet and did not talk price.

· Registered
100 Posts

Factory Invoice $28,223.

Congrats! Which color did you end up getting?

· Registered
20 Posts
:thmsup::thmsup::thmsup::thmsup:

Factory Invoice $28,223.

675 Posts
Amazing deal.. Now I should negotiate with this price in mind. take a bow Mikey :notworthy

I would like to see the pictures
Color was not too important to me. I got Black on Black because that what they had in transit. I different dealer with similar price had White on Ivory.

I plan to make a YouTube video. Mostly about what is not in all the other 2013 Accords videos like the FM-traffic on the Nav and the driver side extended mirror. The driver side mirror seems a little strange when I test drove an Accord.

· Registered
12 Posts
I purchased a 2013 Accord Sedan (EX-L) with a few factory added options on 9/29/12. I paid $28,700 out the door (tax, title, tag, doc fee, etc). I also received lifetime powertrain and extended my bumper to bumper warranty to lifetime for an additional $600. I purchased in cash a warranty for my key fobs, tires, dents, and much more for $699. I also got all weather floor mats, all weather trunk mat, cargo net, and a few more items for $225.

· Registered
271 Posts
Honda is already building over 6000 Accord/week and the slow car buying season is coming. That is over 300,000 Accords a year, more then they ever sold in the US. Some dealers hide cars in off site lots.

I did my shopping over the internet.
I went to one dealer to test drive, told him I was not ready yet and did not talk price.
Who knows if they were hiding it off site. From what I noticed at the dealership they still had plenty of '12s that other dealerships had sent to them. I got my car Monday of the second week and the '13s started trickling in the week before which was the week of 9/16. I got mine on the 24th. They also were doing some renovations to one of their sales offices because it got storm damage.

· Registered
252 Posts
Anyone Buy At Invoice (or below)?

I'm wondering about what is considered to be a really good deal these days. I've read about people who have purchased vehicles in the US below invoice.

In Canada, when I was dealing on our 2011 Odyssey, I was able to negotiate to $500.00 above invoice. Now clearly, invoice is not the dealer's cost. If it was, with all of the web sites offering information about the dealer's "invoice", dealers would be in a tight spot when it came to negotiating.

The same dealer that sold us our Odyssey has offered a 2013 Accord (any model) at invoice plus $500.00.

Has anyone paid below invoice in the US? In Canada? Do we know what other profit "hold backs", volume rebates or payments come to Honda dealers from Honda USA/Honda Canada?

· Registered
1,491 Posts
Its a new car so I'm not expecting a deal right now. Especially since stock is low. Come Winter time when snow is on the ground maybe things will change but personally I'm not even bothering until spring time. I still want to see the fusion and maybe even wait for Mazda 6 yet.

Personally, on a car that's sat on a lot for however long, and in this economy, I won't even entertain buying a car anywhere near sticker. I got several thousand off my last 3 cars, free accesories etc. When competitors are offering 0% or 0.9% on purchase, it doesn't make sense to pay higher elsewhere. Just because I like the car doesn't mean I'll go broke trying to get it so if they want to sell it to me, my attitude is give me the price I want or don't waste my time.

These days I'm finding my purchases are more based on Dealer Service vs which car I think is pretty. If the dealer doesn't or isn't capable of taking care of issues with the car, I don't want to deal with them...period.

21 - 40 of 8438 Posts