Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I recently bought my 2nd Accord that I have been searching high and low for over 2 years to find. 03 EX-L Coupe 5 Speed I4 in Blue with a sunroof!

Back in my early 20's I had a New 05 coupe Graphite Pearl but at the time I couldn't swing the cost for the EX-L package. So I settled for an LX I4 with an Auto and no sunroof...a tad boring but still a fun car to drive. I ended up trading it in a couple years later (I was always mad at myself that I did) and buying my 08 Xterra. Which has been good to me. I have modded and rock crawled the hell out of it all over the east coast but now its at 200k and not really practical for a daily driver at 13mpg on the highway.

Anyway back to the Accord. It has 241k and almost everything is original from factory. So after a good inspection I of course found a few problems.

It was running a little warm around 200 on average and found that the last owner was using the cheap green coolant. So I decided against just flushing the system and refilling with the Honda coolant. Instead I swapped out the major cooling system parts. Radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump, and finishing it off with that nice Blue Honda coolant. Maybe a little over kill for some but I don't like problems where I can avoid them. Now with all of that and a nice CSF radiator its running around 183 on average.
Then the Alternator crapped out but probably the easiest one I've ever changed or will ever change.

Next the oil pan was heavily rusted and weeping oil. At first I thought it was going to be pretty easy but after reading up on it found it to be a big pain in the ass for just an oil pan.
Took a few hours to get done but found it much easier with a helper and a big pry bar in the right spot to get that thing out. I skipped on using RTV for the pan and went with a gasket and after a month no leaks so far.

I found the 2 body ground straps on either side of the engine bay were beyond corroded so I changed those and fixed the few electrical gremlins that I couldn't figure out. I feel like there should be 1 or 2 more ground straps but I haven't found them yet.

Shifter bushings were toast so I replaced them with the K-series bushings which smoothed the shifting out a lot. 3rd is still notchy but I think it might be the shifter cables.

I also gave the rest of the car an enema and flushed out the other fluids and refilled with the good stuff and seafoamed the engine.

I still have plenty to do but all in due time.

Im hoping to drive it until the wheels fall off and then figure out how to put them back on again. Which I should be able to do with a U-pull yard 5 minutes from me and plenty of donor Accords and those 2.4 engines

Thanks for checking my build thread and pictures to come once my post count is up and I'm able to.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,895 Posts
Those to me are classic Accords. You know what you're doing so it will be around for a long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those to me are classic Accords. You know what you're doing so it will be around for a long time.
Yeah I agree. It had a sharp look with lot of cool features for its time. As long as they keep marking parts for it I will try to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally able to post some pics. Here’s a couple and there will be more to follow as I knock out more projects on it.

And of course my my first love my Titan swapped X!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice car! I need coolant as well and I've debated whether to use Honda or the autozone green stuff. Might just end up with the Honda stuff. Look forward to more updates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts