Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Accord with V-6 and 150,000 miles. No problems with shifting at all when I get into motion.

If I don't drive the car for 2-3 days, when I shift out of P into D4, it won't go there. However one time, I tried D3 and it went, or if I select 2nd gear, it would go.

It only happens in the morning, not if the car is sitting out in the sun, e.g., in the afternoon. It also doesn't happen during the week when I use the car every day. In the morning it goes into D4 maybe with a bit of hesitation and the usual jerk.

Being I am in HI, it's not THAT cold in the morning, maybe low 70s but there may be dew on the window.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Have you checked the ATF level as described in the owners manual?

It sounds like your transmission is not building enough pressure to engage the drive clutches and thats probably due to worn seals or o-rings. If it still has standard Honda ATF in it you might try changing to some high mileage ATF like Valvoline Maxlife or a bottle of Lubegard red to see if that helps.

The real fix is to rebuild the transmission and replace the worn parts, but thats probably going to be costly especially in your location.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts