Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AC6DN
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem with 6-month old, Centric Rotors...

I did my brakes, six moths ago (pads, rotors, etc). I used Brembo Sport pads and Centric E-coated (black) rotors:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...el=Accord+Sedan+EX&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=

Bad news, the (front) rotors warped. I had to pay $100 to (on-car) turn $64 (2x$32) worth of rotors...
So much for Centric Premium Rotors.

Am I unreasonable, in thinking that Centric owes me something?

So far, the rotors have not re-warped...

·
CAN I BUY YOUR REAR LIP??
390 Posts
Problem with 6-month old, Centric Rotors...

I did my brakes, six moths ago (pads, rotors, etc). I used Brembo Sport pads and Centric E-coated (black) rotors:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...el=Accord+Sedan+EX&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=

Bad news, the (front) rotors warped. I had to pay $100 to (on-car) turn $64 (2x$32) worth of rotors...
So much for Centric Premium Rotors.

Am I unreasonable, in thinking that Centric owes me something?

So far, the rotors have not re-warped...
I'd imagine there'd be some kind of 1yr factory warranty or something. I'd def look into it if I were you.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
+1 on beding them in. I have the regular centric and they are going strong even after autoX the hell out of them. still going strong for 1 year.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think they will probably not warranty them because they can claim your driving conditions, whether or not you "bedded" them properly to begin with etc could have caused it.
BUT, I don't think you're wrong for thinking that a rotor needed resurfacing after 6 months.

J.

PS, 4ndr3w...we're twins, minus the red calipers.

·
AC6DN
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did bead them in.
The warp look like ying/ yang sign (when facing rotor). And it was a low spot, was on both sides, but on opposite positions.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Did you completely clean off the hubs of any and all dirt and rust?

Any rust on the hubs will transfer that runout to the rotors in about 2500-5000 miles.

Since they were turned on the car, this won't happen again as the rotor has now been machined to the runout of the hubs.

I went through this with my gen 7. EBC's website has a very good technical article on this situation. Even 5 microns of dirt/rust on the hubs will transfer into the rotors and depending on how sensitive the car is to shudder. Accords are one of those.

·
AC6DN
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I had no problems for quite a while?
It was not typ. It had a low spot inside inner-center, and outer-center (more near the hub), but not across from each other - Not a high spot on one side, and a low spot on the other...

·
AC6DN
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess what...
They are beginning to warp again. Premium, ah, I dont think so - A Premium pain...
:paranoid:

·
AC6DN
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, its back...
Approximately 10K more miles later, and the vibration is back. This time the pads are 2/3 worn? So I'm gonna replace them both, too expensive to turn them...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Maybe it's your driving/braking style?

I have these same rotors 2 years with EBC yellow pads and haven't had an issue. Seems you got a pad set or something with your driving needs some adjustment.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
damn bad luck bro. I put 20k on my front rotors and not issue so far. Did you bleed your brake system? I need to bleed my rear. Its not bitting correctly.

·
AC6DN
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The original rotors were OEM, made it to 175K miles, with no problems.

·
AC6DN
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:
BrakeTech was no help. But Tire Rack (where I got them from), gave me a notable discount on a new order. I got the Power Slot Alloy Cryo-Treated Rotor (same maker, just not there cheap-line) and Hawk HPS Street brake pads.

I was told that Centric is not a premium brand, but the low-cost line...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Update:
BrakeTech was no help. But Tire Rack (where I got them from), gave me a notable discount on a new order. I got the Power Slot Alloy Cryo-Treated Rotor (same maker, just not there cheap-line) and Hawk HPS Street brake pads.

I was told that Centric is not a premium brand, but the low-cost line...
Yup, That y they cost like 25 bucks for the fronts. The power slot cryo is legit. They heat it up and then cool it down with liquid nitrogen. Gives the metal a more uniform molecular arrange to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts